• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Dubs anohana Anime Series, Announces Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I already have the NIS 'complete collection' release (not the first NIS fancy limited edition version). The dub is irrelevant to me (a 'yay' for those who like them, of course), but if enough extras and a decent box is included, I might be persuaded to buy it.

I doubt it though; Aniplex seems to think that slightly thicker paper stock is good enough for a case box. I disagree with them on that.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I really missed my chance with this series. By the time I had cleared my existing watch-list and developed any notable desire to sample it, all legal streams for it had ceased to exist. This news, joyous though it may be to its target audience, is unlikely to reverse such a state of affairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me what the big deal with clipboard or hardcover boxes? The most expensive anime I've bought is Toradora (witch I think was a little above or below $100). Question

I don't mind Aniplex's usual prices mainly because their shows are usually somewhere I can watch like Netflix. But if the boxes are part of the price gouging I'd prefer a vanilla version. A real vanilla version.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
Hmm. I already have the NIS 'complete collection' release (not the first NIS fancy limited edition version). The dub is irrelevant to me (a 'yay' for those who like them, of course), but if enough extras and a decent box is included, I might be persuaded to buy it.

I wish I was collecting anime when it came out, and I had a more disposable income.

You know I would be willing to buy more Aniplex show if there were more DVD features. I really have no intrest in art cards or fancy boxes, I don't feel anything special in owning a collector's edition.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I never expected anohana to get a dub. If it's not too expensive then I'd be willing to double dip (anything more than $120 or so and I'll be on the fence). If there's a no frills Blu Ray set that's cheaper (which I highly doubt but I can hope) then it's an instant buy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Smile I never thought Anohana would get an English version made. Well, now that it's coming, I'm looking forward to watching the show!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Neutral

If they put the dub up on Netflix, I'll watch it. But if not, I've already seen it in Japanese, and that was good enough for me.

It'll be a cold day in hell before Henry Goto gets a single red cent out of me. Confused
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Is this Griffin Burns' first lead role? All I know him from is supporting characters on Iron-Blooded Orphans and HunterxHunter.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I gave up on this getting a dub years ago. I loved the beginning and the end of the show, Middle was boring, but I just might want to pick this one up. Now only if they dub Garden of Sinners, then Aniplex USA and I will be good.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ergh, they did this with Toradora too; releasing a dub way after the subbed version. Unlike Toradora though, I bought the subbed Anohana complete BD/DVD combo that comes with an art book.

So I'm not likely to shell out the big bucks again for another set just because of an extra audio track. Dubs don't matter that much to me anyway...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Ergh, they did this with Toradora too; releasing a dub way after the subbed version. Unlike Toradora though, I bought the subbed Anohana complete BD/DVD combo that comes with an art book.

So I'm not likely to shell out the big bucks again for another set just because of an extra audio track. Dubs don't matter that much to me anyway...

That's a weird use of "they"; Toradora was NISA trying out a new dub policy when they added the Toradora OVA episodes to the main series that led to a couple of new series to be released with a dub while anohana is AoA prying the license from NISA to do what they want with it... and since it's a "catalogue" title, I'd say that it's more likely that some company who likes dubs is paying for it.

I would never doubt that AoA would pass up a chance to fleece and plunder but this is the first time they put money behind something that's relatively old. Normally, they'd just do a special box set... with a dub if it exists... and call it quits.

Wait, normal normal would be getting the license back and forgetting the show ever existed in the first place. I'd never buy this one as I didn't care for it but I am impressed they did something with it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I was thinking AoA and NIS were affliated somehow.

I guess I was mistaken.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
brynhild wrote:
This renewed my hope for a Blast of Tempest re-release on BD, dub or no dub. The DVD only release is the reason I still haven't bought it yet.

I am also a big fan of the show, but sadly I don't think it is popular enough for AoA to go back and release it on BD, much less dub it. I would upgrade my DVD's only if it is released on BD and dubbed.

If they do go ahead and dub previous releases, it better include Monogatari. Anohana was probably a safe bet, given it's popular and there are only 11 episodes.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I may double-dip on AnoHana...but I really like NISA's release, so will have to see if I want to own 2 copies of the same series. I'm definitely not letting go of the NISA release, it's too nice! Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
This is good news for people who need or want dubs and for anyone who missed it the first time around. However, I have the NISA set and probably wouldn't listen to the dub anyway, so I'll give this a pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3