• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, but I really liked how they handled ep 2. They're definitely slanting the story to give Lefiya a more prominent role, but the way it's playing out I don't have a problem with that. The extra scene they added in with the bosses talking about Aiz also helps clarify her situation in a way that better suits animated form. Yes, they cut out the short flashback dream sequence for Aiz, but that could easily be stuck in later.

For an episode which basically had no action, it was still quite fun. And it looks like they're pacing to complete the first novel in three episodes (as they did with the main series). Will be curious to see if they slow things down a bit for adapting the second novel, which is much more involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
Is the rest of this going to be like episode 2? If so, I'm out. The episode was nothing but boob and assault jokes. I couldn't just roll my eyes and move on, because they never moved on from it. At least Keijo!^8 had a reason for it. The only highlight was Bell's 5 second cameo.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well my guess is that brief glimpse of Azi dressed as Hestia spawned a few fan-fiction novels or at the least a new twist for cosplayers.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This is turning out to be such a disappointment. I really hope things will start to pick up soon.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Just popping in to say that after seeing it many times on giant posters throughout Akihabara last month, I have now firmly decided that it's my personal most hated anime costume design of all time. All time. I hate it. I like literally nothing about it. It makes no sense in context, it doesn't look cool, it doesn't look sexy, and it doesn't even look ridiculously stupid in a way that wraps around to cool or ridiculously lewd in a way that might be sexy to some people, it's just...the worst.

Anyhow, carry on~

I'd say that maybe it's an Amazon reference of some sort, but we see how Amazons dress in Danmachi and it's not like that.

As for episode 2, it was terribly droll. Aside from Ais in Hestia's clothes and the teeny tiny moment of Ais worrying about hitting her limit, it was mindnumbingly boring. Lesbell tries her best, but she's not an engaging protagonist in the slightest, especially with how the anime makes her even worse than before.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I think Aiz's armor is based on the myth that Amazons cut off their right breasts to better draw a bow. In her case maybe she would not hit her armor when she swung her sword.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the scene(s) with Loki would have been better if they didn't express their affection via groping. Probably not funny three times but I could do without the groping anyhow.

While I like it for the most part, I don't think it is as good as the first season and probably the weakest sequel that I've seen this season. I do think Lefiya has been a good jumping on point and going through her - and using body language- suits an (outwardly) unemotive character like Aiz. But aside from those parts, the groping and boob comparison humor aren't really doing it for me (the fanservice is though).

Also I knew she was short but I didn't know Hestia was that short. She was only like chest level on Tiona, which is shorter than I thought, unless Tiona is taller than I thought.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree that there was too much boob grabbing in episode 2, but I am more disappointed with how boring the first two episodes have been; we get it, Lefiya loves boring Aiz, Tiona is flat chested and Loki is a sexual predator.

I imagine Japanese fans will be cool with all that silliness, but I hope that Hestia and her group are featured more in the second half, and that Sword Oratoria connects to a true sequel for season 1.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
SO'll never be an S2 or sequel, so people hoping for that came here with the wrong expectations. The title says it. "Gaiden"= side story. It's side stories about the Loki Familia happening at the same time as S1. Bell and the others'll remain as cameos at best.
A gaiden'll never be a true sequel. I don't know why some people treat this like it has to be Danmachi S2.
Etue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Also I knew she was short but I didn't know Hestia was that short. She was only like chest level on Tiona, which is shorter than I thought, unless Tiona is taller than I thought.

Tiona is 165 so ''quite'' tall by Japanese standards. ( Same height as Loki, taller than Ainz by 3 )
Hestia however is very short at 140 which justifies her nickname...
So the difference between them is about 25~ and taking that a "head" is around 30 it places the top of Hestia's head between her chin and the base of her neck, I suppose...

Anyway, Honestly Ainz herself is still pretty dull even for a stoic character. Humanizing or not this series so far just feels like a bunch of filler with short scenes intended to make Ainz more likable...
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
While I join those not overly impressed so far (and remembering the original was slow to gain critical praise as well) what really struck me was how well they had already and the future potential of the paralell story telling.

Like A Certain Magical Index relationship to A Certain Scientific Railgun.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
While I join those not overly impressed so far (and remembering the original was slow to gain critical praise as well) what really struck me was how well they had already and the future potential of the paralell story telling.

I nop so, and not like what Soul Eater Not was for Soul Eater.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
I think Aiz's armor is based on the myth that Amazons cut off their right breasts to better draw a bow.

My original theory was that it offered an irresistible point of attack which she was prepared to easily parry when her opponent took the bait. Now I think it's just hand-me-down nursing armor, designed for warrior women who carry their babies into battle.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

I've used this comparison myself, because based on the first two novels that's exactly what the series is: a parallel story which occasionally intersects with the original.

Base on how things are going so far, we should see a fair amount more emphasis on Lefiya for the next episode but she should step more into the background after that; continuing to focus on her viewpoint for the second story arc would be a real stretch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Now I think it's just hand-me-down nursing armor, designed for warrior women who carry their babies into battle.

I'm totally going to run with that idea myself. It's just too good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9