• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Having literally just completed this a 30 mins ago I hope this gets a true season 2
mc55

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I think that the armor is, in my opinion, because Loki forces it on her. I remember in some novel it mentions that Rivera wore a (I think green) dress because Loki bought it for her.

I haven't seen the eppy yet, but if it is like the novel, I think I understand the frustration. The humor of the book and the cameraderie of the girls' shopping was fun for me, but the scene was a tad boring.

I am hopeful that, like with the novels so far, this next eppy will be more eventful and the eppys adapting Vol. 2 will be better. I hope. I'm starting to fear I'll be wrong based on what I've heard here so far.

I personally might not always enjoy, but I don't usually mind, the weird comedy cause all groups have their cultural hangups and foibles. But if put too often in, they can grate. I fear from the reaction that may have happened here.
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe I blocked it out, but I don't remember so much Loki-assaulting-Lefiya action in the original Sword Oratoria novels.

The original novel had Loki attack once in the bath scene, but that was the only time (and that seemed more appropriate timing IMHO). The one upon arrival home and at the end didn't happen.

Etue wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, Honestly Ainz herself is still pretty dull even for a stoic character. Humanizing or not this series so far just feels like a bunch of filler with short scenes intended to make Ainz more likable...

angelmcazares wrote
Quote:
I agree that there was too much boob grabbing in episode 2, but I am more disappointed with how boring the first two episodes have been; we get it, Lefiya loves boring Aiz, Tiona is flat chested and Loki is a sexual predator.

Gina Szanboti wrote
Quote:
Is the rest of this going to be like episode 2? If so, I'm out. The episode was nothing but boob and assault jokes. I couldn't just roll my eyes and move on, because they never moved on from it.

In the original novels there was a lot more action and some more focus on Aiz and Finn than there has been so far in the anime. They've skipped Aiz's first solo boss fight and more, as well as, some small story bits and added extra perverse humor and Lefiya bits that weren't there. I like Lefiya, but what they've added is a pointless waste of time and isn't doing her character any favors. Hopefully it changes, but so far it seems Sword Oratoria is suffering from having a different director than the original, and he's apparently just not as good at his job. There shouldn't be so much fan service and more action from Lefiya, Bete and Aiz in the next few eps unless they veer from the novels extensively.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
After watching ep 2 Im starting to think that they're actually adapting the manga version of Sword Oratoria rather than the light novel.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I kept on being told that this was better than regular danmachi, in a similar way that railgun is better than index; tho sadly, the first two episodes do not give me that impression at all. and the fanservice and gropey stuff does nto affect me negatively at all, it's just that this does not seem to be doing anythign interesting neither are the character relationships as good as the original danmachi, those feel pretty shallow there.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure who told you that, maximilianjenus, but they weren't being truthful. I'd rate what I've seen of this spin-off in novel form as no better than the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Key - the two are pretty comparable, although I'd say that volume seven raised the bar a bit for the main series. (Haven't read eight yet, so I'm not sure if that's a lasting truth.)
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3, sounds like the composer remixed The Last of the Mohicans theme with Fairy Tail music.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Episode 3, sounds like the composer remixed The Last of the Mohicans theme with Fairy Tail music.

LFMAO yes thought the dam same thing with during Lefiya's big moment.

Found myself wanting the anime to kill Lefiya off,just seems to be on the verge of ravaging Aiz far too often.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I agree with Key - the two are pretty comparable, although I'd say that volume seven raised the bar a bit for the main series. (Haven't read eight yet, so I'm not sure if that's a lasting truth.)

Eight is a collection of side-stories so it's not at the height of seven, but it's still fun, has a good amount of focus on comparatively underused characters, introduces a fascinating new hook for the next arc, and most importantly gives bait to shippers.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
After watching ep 2 Im starting to think that they're actually adapting the manga version of Sword Oratoria rather than the light novel.

If they were they're doing a terrible job of it, lol. I went back to reread it and remembered all of the focus on Aiz's motivations and more in-depth development that made me look forward to the anime in the first place.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So readers of the source material, will Aiz eventually be more than a side character or am I wasting my time?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
So readers of the source material, will Aiz eventually be more than a side character or am I wasting my time?

Keep watching,and hope for more seasons-or Smile go out and pick up the manga or LN lol.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I must be easy to please because I'm rather enjoying the series. I thought episode 1 was a good start. Episode 2 is the weakest so far, but it wasn't bad. Episode 3 improved upon the first 2 I thought. I do hope they focus on Aiz more coming up. The parts where the series intersects with Season 1 are the best parts. This show alone has made my Anime Strike account worth it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:

Depends on how closely they stick to the source material.

Theoretically the next arc should really get into Aiz's head and her motivations, but after the first two episodes, well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9