• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Psybuster, Dancouga Mecha Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
well good news on Dancouga....though questionable on the Psybuster anime....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Cybuster and Dancouga. Badass OP/ED themes.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Dancouga itself is an excellent robot, worthy of much appreciation, but not exactly an excellent show. Still, I think it's not a bad idea to license that one. The music is also cool.

So Dancouga is quite rough around the edges yet it is at least more interesting than Psybuster, which took away almost everything that everyone interested in the Super Robot Wars version of Cybuster would care about and tried to create a totally unrelated interpretation. Just very weird.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe this time around I'll get to buying Dancouga! I forget what company released the series back in the mid-90s.

I also remember actually seeing one of the Dancouga toys in a Kay Bee Toy Store way back in the 80s!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
Huh, how the heck could they mess up Cybuster's title? It already has an official English one.

Anyways, Cybuster was just okay. It did a few interesting things but overall pretty meh. It gets a lot of hate for not following the games but it never intended to do that in the first place.

Dancouga is also an interesting beast but gets super silly at times.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Those anime moments... "Wait, I never heard of Psybuster so is that something.. Oh, it's Cybuster. Oh."

Dancouga looks kind of nice though.

Quote:
It's up to Shinobu, Sara (Shapiro's old girldfriend), Masato, and Ryo of the Jyusenkitai/Cyber Beast Force to pilot the four Jyusenki/Beast Mecha (Eagle Fighter, Land Cougar, Land Liger, and Big Moth [a mammoth mecha]), which can combine into the giant mech Dancougar.

What makes it original is that it's four mechs that combine rather than five. If it was five, it'd be Go...lion.

What? Dancougar, Go Lion? Add a Staypanther and we'd have a trifecta.
K'un Lun Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Maybe this time around I'll get to buying Dancouga! I forget what company released the series back in the mid-90s.

It was Software Sculptors, a label of the late Central Park Media.

I was hoping Discotek would get around to rescuing the license. I only bought five of the eight VHS tapes (also gives me hope that they'll do the OAVs and Dancouga Nova).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Dancougar is a series that has a good concept but a meh execution, and could really stand for a proper remake. Nova was...I don't know what the hell Nova was.

Hell, someone put that opposite Voltron on Netflix. You would have less insane shipping discourse since no Avatar veterans would be involved.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I hope the Dancouga release includes the OVAs, since they more or less finish the story.

Another series to put on my to-buy list. Very Happy

luffypirate85 wrote:
Cybuster and Dancouga. Badass OP/ED themes.

The Dancouga theme is on my top 5 for the 1980s.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Dancouga is extremely 80s. It's not a great show, but if you like syths, crazy hair and super detailed combination sequences you will probably enjoy it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
The Cybuster/Psybuster split is something that's plagued the English fandom for years. I can't blame them for using the lesser used name for the poorly looked upon anime.

Animegomaniac wrote:

What makes it original is that it's four mechs that combine rather than five. If it was five, it'd be Go...lion.

There is a five unit config which was intended for the show with Final D. It just didn't show up because of what happened with a certain character and how the episode count ended up, with God Bless, Requiem and Burning Epilogue all being OVAs and after the show ended.

Beatdigga wrote:
Nova was...I don't know what the hell Nova was.

Gravion Drei. No, seriously. Sandman even has a cameo during one of the episodes (which could explain where he screwed off to in one of the episodes of either the original or Zwei with the shot of him in the airport.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Discotek! I bought a complete release of Cybuster from a long since defunct anime store years ago and it only had Japanese audio and Chinese subtitles. I wanted the dub that Geneon produced. Can't wait for July. : )
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
These are some pretty good Mecha choices discotek provided to us. Makes me hope that can license Aura Battler Dubline one day. Give it a proper re-release besides watching it online from Daisuki
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ShadowZim777 wrote:
Makes me hope that can license Aura Battler Dubline one day. Give it a proper re-release besides watching it online from Daisuki

Yeah, especially when there are Blu-ray box sets coming in Japan in July & September.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

The Dancouga theme is on my top 5 for the 1980s.

Ah, but which one since there were two of them for the TV series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2