• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of Anime's Strangest Pandas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
The Japanese ranking site Goo Ranking recently published the results of their own poll of Kana Hanazawa's best characters. The funniest thing to me is that not only did they count Yukino from The Garden of Words and "Yuki-chan-sensei" from your name. as two separate characters, but the latter also ranked higher (33rd and 9th, respectively) Very Happy Yeah, it's not actually canonically stated that they're the same character (the former movie ends with Yukino spoiler[in Shikoku], while the latter movie's teacher is shown working in Gifu), but still, she was only on screen for like a total of three minutes in your name., what the heck?

No surprises about the winners of last week's poll; heck, I voted for both of those, but mainly because I hadn't seen any of the other shows save for Lucky Star. Though now's a great opportunity to finally watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Had to vote for Mayuri in the poll. Tuturu!~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
While some of the others are just parodying Japan's cute-obsession with Tokyo Zoo pandas, the joke about Genma Saotome is that "Panda" is also Japanese slang for "Cowardly lion"--Ie. the big authoritative guy in charge who's secretly too clueless, timid or indecisive and isn't really in charge, so you can pretty much ignore him behind his back.
Sort of like the boss from the Dilbert comic strip or Mr. Carlson from WKRP in Cincinatti.

And when Ranma's dedicated trainer/father keeps pushing Ranma into being the patsy for danger, while reverting to (billboard) "Who, me?" or cute-tire mode himself in the crisis, the implied pun is laid on pretty...thick.

(And as for the poll, glad to see that Tenchi in Tokyo wasn't as forgotten as I thought, but...wait, Haunted Junction was on the '97 poll too? Wow, no wonder I hadn't remembered it at the time--That might explain the low ranking.)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
For the vote, chose Tomoka Minato from Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Ruddor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
You left off a certain weird panda from Yakitate!! Japan.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Panda from We Bare Bears is probably checking out ANN right now and totally squealing with joy. He loves anime too. ; )

It's not anime, but I still enjoyed Kana Hanazawa's performance as Sophie in Tales of Graces f despite I'm a dub gamer.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a nice poll result. Utena is second for '97, and my picks for '07 grab all the top spots.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Too bad video games aren't included, as Pokémon's Spinda, Pancham, and Pangoro are also off the beaten path. Spinda is one of fiction's few red pandas, and the Pancham line combines the giant panda with a Japanese delinquent (the bancho, to be more precise).
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, this poll made me realize that for such a big-name seiyuu, I've actually seen very few of HanaKana's most famous shows. Basically out of what's listed, I've seen Angel Beats, Rewrite, Saki Side A, and part of March Comes in Like a Lion, and those last three are hardly among her most memorable roles. I am looking forward to her expanded role in Yuki Yuna season 2, though - I thought she was great in her brief appearance as Sonoko in season 1.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember in the anime Gokudo, there was a scene where this panda guy became pregnant and gave birth to someone. Not as famous as the pandas featured on this list but it was quite strange for sure.
uchuu_kenshi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The first time I saw Garden of Words I thought: this voice actress is really great. Doing these serious and subtle emotions. After I looked it up and found out it was HanaKana I was a bit confused. I thought she had a recognizable voice but I wasn't able to tell it was her when she did an "adult" voice. But I think I prefer her more serious voice e.g. Oreimo, Kotoura-san, Bodacious Space Pirates, She and Her Cat. But I also love her super-silly voice in Teekyu.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
No love for Pandaikon from "Nerima Daikon Brothers"? He's the panda version of a Blues Brother!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It never appeared in the anime so it wouldn't be eligible for the list, but, in the original one-or-two-shot version of Barasui's Strawberry Marshmallow (Ichigo Mashimaro) manga, which got totally rebooted when it became a regular series in Dengeki Daioh, the character who became Miu, who was just called Mi-chan and who didn't have a personality all that much different from the character who became Chika, had a panda as a pet somehow.

But the panda (plus Chika and Nobue's older brother) was dropped when the manga got rebooted, although the girl with a less-usual pet aspect arguably was carried over a bit with Matsuri's ferret John (albeit ferrets are common pets, just less common than dogs or cats).

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Since it wasn't listed, I just had to add Rumi Yokoi from My Neighbor Seki in the list of Kana Hanazawa roles.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
If red pandas count, Bewear from Pokemon Sun and Moon really takes the cake. Its cute appearance conceals its terrifyingly overpowering strength.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2