• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This better get licensed. And dubbed.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The anime so far has given us a girl jumping/pushed in front of the train,Souta's having a dead sister, the Military Princess knowing Souta and Souta's having an "unborn world".

So Souta has a bigger part to play it seems.

Yeah, I completely forgot to bring up Suicide Girl again, as the mystery behind how her death is connected to everything else is definitely another hook for the series. When I watched the first episode I remember immediately being struck by how the series seemed to be invoking Serial Experiment Lain with that scene, so I'll be curious to see if that series has any other influence on this one.

And yeah, Souta's definitely got a role to play here, but I'm not expecting anywhere near a "Subaru in Re: Zero" level of development from him. He strikes me more as a focal point around which things happen than an actual major personality. But with characters like Silesia being around, he doesn't need to be all that dynamic, either.

One point which was brought up about this series in the recent ANNcast (which I didn't hear prior to writing this preview) which I may address in a future review is the canny way the series portrays stereotypical anime (and its source) storytelling and dialog. This was most evident when Souta got transported into Silesia's world, but there were tastes of it in episode 2 as well. I'll definitely be watching to see what else the series does with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

I really don't know what you mean by "ruin almost every series he's in by copy-pasting the same ost over and over again". Some shows and games were great precisely because of his involvement, and those shows wanted people who watch it to be hyped as ****, and that was exactly what Sawano's music helped those shows achieve. I mean, Attack on Titan would not be Attack on Titan if it wasn't for Sawano. Kill la Kill would not be the same if it wasn't for Sawano. A lot of shows would not be the same if it wasn't for Sawano. A lot of shows WOULDN'T have been as good if it wasn't for Sawano (like Aldnoah Zero).

it means "i'm a hipster who dislike what the masses plebs like and can't differentiate between a dominance use of brass instruments with actual plagiarism". quite frankly other then the arrangements, there are only a few tracks of his that actually reused clips from other tracks he has made (most obvious would be [nzk]01). hell his past 2 albums (kabaneri and tunderbolt) is in fact one of his more experimental / different albums to date.

my advise is to just ignore them.

btw where the hell is this dead sister thing coming from?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I like the concept and I like the art (although choreography needs some serious improvement) but the writing and pacing is a huge letdown. It just feel like a great project that was dreamed up by a studio but everybody that would have been good for it weren't available (obviously Urobochi) so it got handed down to the wrong person.

For example, the magical girl character idea (magical girl realize that violence has consequence) was an awesome idea, but it's handled super poorly. She just attack Silesia out of nowhere for no reason, pretty much every magical girl will always tries to talk it out first and only ever go on the offensive when the bad guys attack them/bystander. But here she doesn't even try to talk it out, she just immediately attack Silesia (and only her for some reason). They could have improved a lot on the encounter by spending a lot more time on it, but instead they wanted to have the long date sequence where MC-kun get to hand out with the two hotties (why would they go to a zoo?).

And the main character is really just there because they need to pander to otaku and have an harem in there. There going to try hard to retroactively make him important, but why couldn't he have been important right away? Like say if the main character actually was the author of Silesia work, but then he'd be an adult and not "generic high school boy". Imagine if usual trapped in another world worked like that, where the main characters would just hang out with the most pointless of peasant they'd just randomly meet.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
For example, the magical girl character idea (magical girl realize that violence has consequence) was an awesome idea, but it's handled super poorly. She just attack Silesia out of nowhere for no reason, pretty much every magical girl will always tries to talk it out first and only ever go on the offensive when the bad guys attack them/bystander. But here she doesn't even try to talk it out, she just immediately attack Silesia (and only her for some reason). They could have improved a lot on the encounter by spending a lot more time on it, but instead they wanted to have the long date sequence where MC-kun get to hand out with the two hotties (why would they go to a zoo?).

Uh...they do talk it out first. Mamika asks if they were going to follow
Military Uniform Princess and take control of their creators/destiny and upon learning she was not with them, decided Silesia was against them and acted accordingly (though going to violence was a bit abrupt). Even during the fight they were talking, and she clearly did so in the hopes of converting her to their cause. They don't need to strictly follow the conventions of the magical girl genre especially in ways that would make her more heroic when she is (currently) an antagonist and the righteousness of the cause of Military Uniform Princess is unknown at best.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I like the concept and I like the art (although choreography needs some serious improvement) but the writing and pacing is a huge letdown. It just feel like a great project that was dreamed up by a studio but everybody that would have been good for it weren't available (obviously Urobochi) so it got handed down to the wrong person.

So Rie Horie - a proven writer of action-driven stories that still have a lot of character development - isn't good enough for you? Okay. . . Rolling Eyes

Quote:
For example, the magical girl character idea (magical girl realize that violence has consequence) was an awesome idea, but it's handled super poorly. She just attack Silesia out of nowhere for no reason, pretty much every magical girl will always tries to talk it out first and only ever go on the offensive when the bad guys attack them/bystander. But here she doesn't even try to talk it out, she just immediately attack Silesia (and only her for some reason).

Actually won't quibble about this point, as that did seem rash and abrupt, as if a scene got cut out there.

Quote:
They could have improved a lot on the encounter by spending a lot more time on it, but instead they wanted to have the long date sequence where MC-kun get to hand out with the two hotties (why would they go to a zoo?).

That scene was all about the exposition, so what they used as a backdrop shouldn't matter much. Beside, why wouldn't you go out exploring a world that you've just arrived in? And why not visit a zoo, if your home world doesn't have anything like that?

Quote:
Imagine if usual trapped in another world worked like that, where the main characters would just hang out with the most pointless of peasant they'd just randomly meet.

Except that he's not "the most pointless of peasant." He appeared in Silesia's world and Silesia recognizes that he has some connection with Military Uniform Princess, even if Sota doesn't currently know what that connection is. He has also demonstrated being very knowledgeable about individuals like her who are being carried over from their native worlds? Why wouldn't you want to stay close to someone like that?

Now, I'm not going to disagree that there is a potential harem draw here (although none of the girls have yet indicated any romantic interest towards him), but you're making a mistake by assuming that the story is only content with that level of logic and content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
青白

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
青白 wrote:

I really don't know what you mean by "ruin almost every series he's in by copy-pasting the same ost over and over again". Some shows and games were great precisely because of his involvement, and those shows wanted people who watch it to be hyped as ****, and that was exactly what Sawano's music helped those shows achieve. I mean, Attack on Titan would not be Attack on Titan if it wasn't for Sawano. Kill la Kill would not be the same if it wasn't for Sawano. A lot of shows would not be the same if it wasn't for Sawano. A lot of shows WOULDN'T have been as good if it wasn't for Sawano (like Aldnoah Zero).

it means "i'm a hipster who dislike what the masses plebs like and can't differentiate between a dominance use of brass instruments with actual plagiarism".

Man, I thought there are rules in the forum that prevent people from being as condescending as you are.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:

So Rie Horie - a proven writer of action-driven stories that still have a lot of character development - isn't good enough for you? Okay. . . Rolling Eyes

Given Rei Hiroe's 'Black Lagoon' I would expect we will get more depth/backstory each episode.

Quote:
Key Now, I'm not going to disagree that there is a potential harem draw here (although none of the girls have yet indicated any romantic interest towards him), but you're making a mistake by assuming that the story is only content with that level of logic and content.

From the two episodes I'am seeing each character teaming up with their "creators".
Souta being more of a supportive MC for now,with a bit of flirting with Selejia possible.

And I suspect Rei Hiroe will stay away from any harem with his characters.

Also Rie Horie? is that another pen name such as his use of Red Bear?
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Some people question the quality of composer Hiroyuki Sowano: Honestly, his songs are incredible. Regardless of what they think of the work in which they are inserted, they are always incredible at a high level. No wonder he was part of several major studio successes. If the play ends at the same level as the musical composition, then it will really be a success. If there is something bad around here, surely it is the ears of fools who question the composer. Anyway: I liked the series so far, it is showing very consistent.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I think the Military Uniform Princess is spoiler[the creation of Sota's dead sister which would explain how she knew him and where he lived. Sota mentions that he considered his sister to be the protagonist so I think she will be important to the story. Also the opening sequence shows the Military Uniform Princess standing alone in a broken down building. Unless that is a red herring I think that indicate a tragic backstory.]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
For example, the magical girl character idea (magical girl realize that violence has consequence) was an awesome idea, but it's handled super poorly. She just attack Silesia out of nowhere for no reason, pretty much every magical girl will always tries to talk it out first and only ever go on the offensive when the bad guys attack them/bystander. But here she doesn't even try to talk it out, she just immediately attack Silesia (and only her for some reason).

Well, Silesia just directly challenged her world view essentially calling it stupid. Mamika then just lashed out like a child. Mamika just couldn't handle having her expectations pointed out as illogical and irrational. I actually thought that was great, and to be fair to Mamika, she actually is a child.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I love how Red has so many different names.

When the voice actors speak her name, it's Serejia.
In the official subtitles her name is Selesia.
On news articles on sites like this one and MAL her name is Celestia.
In these episode reviews it's Silesia.

On the official site her name is written as セレジア which is read as Serejia hence the reason it sounds that way when spoken even though it then translates to Celestia. Whatever. I'll just keep calling her Red.

Last edited by Hikaru Suzuhara on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
From the director of Ga Rei:Zero, Aldonoah Zero and Fate/Zero, comes Ei Aoki´s only title to not feature Zero in the title. Starring(so far):
-Typical milquetoast MC-kun
-Cecilly Campbell
-Rei Wizard Ayanami
-Madoka Magica
-and Hetero Kanji Tatsumi
Fate/Otaku Creators

This upper part is a joke guys. Actually, I´m enjoying this series. Maybe a bit more for the production values, but the future developments related to characters meeting their creators sounds interesting. ThatAnimeSnob already made its critic, saying that this series tries too hard to be meta and fails at it, which is total bullcrap. I like that it doesn´t go far with being meta, and in this 5 first episodes, it doesn´t need to go far. It needs to be the cohesive mix of anime mediums with a battle royale that is being so far.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
This better get licensed. And dubbed.

Don't hold your breath - as of yet we've not seen any signs that Amazon plans to physically release or dub any of the anime they've acquired for simulcasts. IIRC there was mention of Crunchyroll putting out Kabaneri for home video, and they are screening the recap movies in the US, but otherwise it's been radio silence for everything else.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I think this is going to be fun. But one thing that I wish they'd done would have been to hire different character designers for the characters that are ostensibly from different properties. Souta and Matsubara look more different from each other than the anime/manga/game characters do (actually only Matsubara looks different, and only by a little bit. Souta looks like one of the created characters). Even the Final Boss guy looks like he was created by the same artist that Selesia et al were. I did get a chuckle out of his delight at realizing he was a FB.

Perhaps that would have been too complicated for the animators or too expensive? Maybe the manga can change that up a bit, but since it's following on the anime, that might not go over so well with fans at that point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 33