• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
So they just entirely forgot Magane exists and is still wondering the world?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apparently, because she will now be depowered she gets a free pass for all the murdering she did?
Idk i feel like this is REALLY something that should have been adressed in some form unless there was a sequel and there's no reason there should be so... what the hell?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The ending felt empty. I really wanted to like it, but there's just so many damn holes in the plot. The character development was also pretty bad. The new characters in the second half didn't really have any point at all. They were just there. Also, am I supposed to suddenly like Magane and Altair after they spent the entire show killing people and creating havoc? What happened to Magane anyways? They never even addressed that issue. Is nobody concerned that she killed her creator and is still running around out there somewhere? I admit the show had some great moments (that recap episode was hilarious), but overall the writing was just a complete mess.

You tried, Rei. Focus on Black Lagoon now.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:

Yes. She flew out of the country it seems.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series more then most here but.... it would have been better if it were shorter like about 13 episodes long. It focused too much on metafictional exposition and not enough on the cast for it's own good.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
People have said it already, Magane is still alive and her conclusion remains unaddressed, but, next to Altair, she was the most dangerous Creation out of all of them. Not long after she was introduced, she straight up murders a shop keeper, an innocent bystander then later kills her creator, and she somehow was living in a penthouse at some point with a tub full of money which you can easily collude she didn't get it from legitimate means. After all that, the Government committee for the Creations disbands because the primary threat is gone. The murder is still up and about and she most likely has a supernatural ability and, again, it is unlikely that she become a productive member of society.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:

Hiroe Rei confirmed that Magane's presence a the airport was her departure from the story's narrative.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Some interesting facts from latest interviews with Aoki Ei and Hiroe Rei on Re Creators.

-Aoki Ei confirmed Nakanogane’s musings about their plans failing to match Altair’s powers was meant to symbolize the harshness of reality, where an endeavour can fail despite pouring all your effort into it.

-He’d envisioned Re Creators as a 2-cour anime from the start. Initially Eps 21-22 were just 1 episode, but he extended to 22 so the story could fit better after Ep 13′s recap. His job was to adapt Hiroe Rei's original draft story, Re Creators Naked, to fit the anime composition by arranging, adding and removing scenes as necessary. Aoki considers Re Creators' story a metaphor for craftsmanship.

-He says that it can be frustrating as a creator when the public doesn’t want to accept what they feel is interesting, but you can’t blame the public for that.

-Nakanogane is Aoki's favourite character; he sees in him the many hardships an anime director must endure. He can also relate to Souta’s disappointment when he feels his work is not up to par.

Hiroe Rei confirmed Magane will lose her powers like Meteora. However, she’ll still keep on living her free-spirited life and lying to people.
-He also says his draft story for the anime, Re Creators Naked, has a different ending from the anime; to see them please buy the published version of Naked once they come out this end of September and October.
-Naked contains more indepth info and interactions not adapted into the anime. Examples include Magane getting even more dialogue, and Altair having nightmares of Setsuna’s death when she sleeps.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe that Magane spin-off manga that recently launched will help tie up her loose ends?
Zeino wrote:
I enjoyed the series more then most here but.... it would have been better if it were shorter like about 13 episodes long. It focused too much on metafictional exposition and not enough on the cast for it's own good.

Uh, I definitely don't think it would've been better as a shorter series, because then it'd be an incredibly different series. A sounder argument would be to cut back on some of the meta-fictional exposition and plug in those 'blanks' with greater characterization.

But even then I had a great time with the characterization and exposition as-is; it was all incredibly fascinating to me, really. Which meta-fictional exposition should've been cut back on? All that might come to mind is the constant emphasis on audience "acceptance", but other than that...?

I dug that exposition overall, really; it spoke to me as a hopeful prospective-Creator, and I imagine it did to others Creators (prospective or otherwise) as well.

zztop wrote:
Some interesting facts from latest interviews with Aoki Ei and Hiroe Rei on Re Creators. -------------

I've heard a bit about this interview with the Aoki and Hiro before, but not so detailed. Have a link/source to it? /a/ is such a vast place...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
My only question is what the hell happened to Blitz Talker and his daughter when they went back? Why was that even an option for them? The canon narrative for that story has her dead, so wouldn't she be dead as soon as they got back? Weren't all of the events in the show here more or less like some kind of special/spin-off where there isn't any effect on their main storyline? And if there is an effect as dramatic as being able to bring characters back to life, honestly, the whole show makes no sense(my understanding of this would be like watching an anime where one episode a character dies, then you tune in next week and that person is alive and the explanation is that they came to life in another world??? That's some serious retcon...). I was expecting someone to mention something about it, and to probably have them stay in this world. But no one mentioned anything and now I feel I'm either missing something important, or that was a bit of an oversight.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
^Wasn't the main reason it took them so long to prepare that they had to believably foreshadow the story in the canon material? I'm sure all the creators have prepared a suitable storyline for their respective works (and it's not like characters have never come back from the dead in fiction before...).

I enjoyed this show a lot overall and the final episode didn't disappoint me either. It's very fitting for a character like Magane that what happens to her remains a bit of a mystery, i liked the different ways the creations chose to say goodbye to their creators and Meteora becoming a creator herself was a nice way of bringing the story full circle.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
^Wasn't the main reason it took them so long to prepare that they had to believably foreshadow the story in the canon material? I'm sure all the creators have prepared a suitable storyline for their respective works (and it's not like characters have never come back from the dead in fiction before...).

Characters come back all the time, but not usually when they were resurrected in a spin off work that has rules entirely different from their original world.

If they were foreshadowing for their respective stories to make this all fit, none of it makes any sense at all. These are all characters from completely different worlds with different rules, different magic, science, etc. I don't see how you could possibly make that fit concisely into a spin off that combines all of them and tie that reasonably back into the main story line for each series. You can make an awesome collaboration, sure, but only if it doesn't actually effect the original piece of work. That's what I thought this whole thing they were doing was.
This would be like taking characters from Fate/Zero, One Piece, Gurren Lagann, Monogatari, and Non Non Biyori having them all meet up in a "special episode!" fiddle around with their abilities and power levels, including giving characters from Non Non Biyori super powers in the first place and then putting them back in their worlds with the new updates. Oh, and also bring back to life super important characters like spoiler[Kamina and Ace] which totally flips the entire story on its head. But it's okay, we totally foreshadowed it??? Like how? Characters in Non Non Biyori suddenly having super powers would ruin the show, those particular characters coming back to life would also ruin those shows. There is no way this works in my mind.
This only makes sense to me if there is no relationship between the spin-off world and canon, other than being an interesting alternate reality. I guess if it's as you say, and that's what they were intending, I can't really appreciate this show nearly as much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Hiroe Rei confirmed Magane will lose her powers like Meteora. However, she’ll still keep on living her free-spirited life and lying to people.

Yeah ok, but that should have been in the episode, not some fill-in-the-gaps post-episode interview somewhere online.

It just really stuck out to me that not one of the characters even mentioned her. Also, I'm not sure how equipped she is for life here without proper ID or magic powers to get her what she wants/needs. She'd probably get herself killed mouthing off to the wrong person once she's unable to leap around like she's on the moon and defend herself with lies though, so I guess that's karmic retribution for her crimes?

I really enjoyed her character a lot, so it just left a bad taste that she just ceased to exist for everybody in an otherwise good finale.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

zztop wrote:
Some interesting facts from latest interviews with Aoki Ei and Hiroe Rei on Re Creators. -------------

I've heard a bit about this interview with the Aoki and Hiro before, but not so detailed. Have a link/source to it? /a/ is such a vast place...

Here's the link.
https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=6138461&postcount=2672

The original content was in Japanese, this user on the Animesuki forum kindly translated it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
If they were foreshadowing for their respective stories to make this all fit, none of it makes any sense at all. These are all characters from completely different worlds with different rules, different magic, science, etc. I don't see how you could possibly make that fit concisely into a spin off that combines all of them and tie that reasonably back into the main story line for each series. You can make an awesome collaboration, sure, but only if it doesn't actually effect the original piece of work. That's what I thought this whole thing they were doing was.

This concern was partially addressed in-series by Ryo, who complained about how Yuya's revelation of certain spoilers to Sho was going to make it hard for him to reconcile his main storyline.

The overall impression left by the way events played out is that different Creators are going to have different responses. Ryo is going to try to figure out how to explain it, Shunma indicates that she intends to integrate in the return of Blitz's daughter, and the comments of Nishio and the advertising poster we see indicate that he intends to continue running with Hikayu's transformation. Meanwhile Matsuraba and Gai are obviously going to have to play it as if the Elimination Chamber was non-canonical. Nakanogane doesn't indicate one way or the other, but he has the easiest situation, too, since his character didn't undergo significant changes or calamity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 33