• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Granblue Fantasy the Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karphatos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I love Vyrn too, but I really don't need to read spoilers about him, so can all of you please either keep that stuff out of this thread or put it behind spoiler tags? Thanks.

Not a single spoiler about Vyrn has been said on this thread though.
What AksaraKishou was refering to was the joke Vyrn from the Grand Blues 4koma that invaded the granblue world for the april fools event of the game.
spoiler[ https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ESQZQIaWMbw/maxresdefault.jpg ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
These tunnel escapes are kinda bugging me. It would be one thing if they accessed them out of sight, but they dive into them right in front of their pursuers, so what's to keep them from just following them into the tunnels?

And the confrontations with the beast pair seem semi-pointless. Meeting them at Rackam's shop was useful to the plot, but after that it seems like they just encounter them, stand around exchanging trash talk for awhile, then flail in a quick battle that gets cut short by a non-combatant force (vine wielder, bad weather).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Quote:
just as the ship's about to hit the skies, a quest randomly appears that will take them to the country Tiamat's magical gift showed them mere moments before.

I took that to mean the gift was prophetic rather than merely informative. Their conversation around it did seem odd though. It's like they didn't quite make the connection between what they were shown and the job that came up. Like, "Well, we might as well take the job since we were going there anyway." Not even suspicion that someone might've known their plans.

I'm beginning to think the beastly duo is just around for comic relief, except they aren't funny. So far they just seem even more useless than Vyrn.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Quote:
After only six episodes of this show, I already have a list of characters I would be happy never to see again: Sturm, Drang, and Siero.

I'd like to add Io to that list, but for the reasons the review pointed out, I suspect I won't get my wish.

The way they introduced this week's quest was really odd. At the end of the last episode, Siero gave them the job, but at the beginning of this one, she gives them the job again as if it's new and that's not why they came there. Is her "everywhere and nowhere" line supposed to tell us that she has clones all over the islands and they're not necessarily in complete communication with each other?

And somehow giving them this top secret job in the middle of a pub seems ill-advised if you want it to remain top secret, since not a one of them understands the concept of keeping your voice down.

two weeks ago I wrote:
seems like they just encounter them, stand around exchanging trash talk for awhile, then flail in a quick battle that gets cut short by a non-combatant force (vine wielder, bad weather).

Lather, rinse, repeat, this time added Black Knight but no battle.
natchu96

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Funny how the issue is how much Siero feels like a questgiver NPC when this whole game by virtue of platform has absolutely nothing in it that's not a quest, raid, menu, or the gacha page.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why the series being like a JRPG is a bad thing for some critics. Frankly I'm just glad to finally have a classic fantasy anime that's not a "trapped in a video game world" trope.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
^I don't mind that it's like a JRPG, it's the way they're executing it - little character development and just sort of racing through the plot points. It could follow the same story (and maybe even keep quest giving characters like Siero) but make some effort at not feeling so game-like.

I agree, though - it's great to have an honest-to-god fantasy world!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The real problem tho is that the plot is that bare bones in the game. Only after a certain point does the story get actually pretty good. That said, it only happens after a certain point during these primal island hopping and i don't know if the anime's long enough for that... Neutral This is kinda what happened with Fate/Grand Order tbh. Only after Okeanos, the 3rd Order, did the story get really epic. This was cause it was only after this chapter that the devs noticed that the game was bringing in a lot of $$$. Go figure... <.<This might have happened with GBF. The good parts started with the spoiler[Albion]Arc which will be either during or after episode 14, the last episode btw, if we go at this rhythm.

Can't say i'm liking the anime that much so far, but my experiences with the game, story-wise, match so far.

Btw, i'll drop the name of the races you keep seeing just in case you're kinda tired of finding descriptive ways of talking about them xD

Humans- They're humans duh
Harvins- Small people like Siero
Gonna put this in spoilers since while they were introduced already, the names still haven't been given to us.
spoiler[

Draph- Bull people.

- Males are big as hell and buff to boot.
-Females are almost always small as hell (1.30m +/-) and have horns + big boobs(not joking)

Erunes - Animal people..? They're the ones with the cat ears...

]

There's another race, but it's way too spoiler-ish, so i won't even talk about it.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Since we haven't seen a whole lot of mixed human/animal people groups before, that makes his status as Io's protector a slight surprise.

Most of the mixed animal/people characters aren't part of the main in-game cast.
They're recruitable side characters, each with their own story and motivations.

The issue is whether the anime will even try to include some of them in.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
It's kind of funny how this show's status as a JRPG adaptation actually works to its advantage in some ways when you compare it to the other two main fantasy world anime that are airing this season (though there could be others that fit in this category, i'm not following everything).

But basically, I'm comparing this show with Grimoire of Zero and SukaSuka.

Comparing the three shows, Granblue I think clearly has the most cohesive and well-structured story, and I think that is precisely because it is sourced from a JRPG. Game developers have spent decades perfecting the JRPG story/narrative formula, and they have gotten quite good at it. Many JRPGs have superior story writing to anime, probably because they've focused a lot of time on figuring out how to develop engaging, well-rounded characters for the player to interact with, and also writing smart or at least well-put-together narratives that are easy for the player to understand and become invested in. By contrast, a lot of anime writing is more focused on the writer's personal desires and those of his/her respective cult followings. Thus, narrative and character development often get pushed to the side in favor of service.

Grimoire has done a decent job with its character development though, and in some ways Mercenary, Zero and Albus are at least as good as our party in Granblue. Also, as weird as it might come across due to the size difference between Merc and Zero (and maybe age difference? who knows, as they've kept that pretty mysterious), I do think the more romantic aspect between Merc and Zero is being developed in a superior way whereas Gran and Lyria don't seem to have much spark, assuming that they will be some kind of couple. However, that being said Grimoire's story flow has been a bit haphazard and at times nearly incoherent, so it definitely gets knocks for that.

SukaSuka has some cool ideas for its story, but the actual writing and flow has been even more haphazard than Grimoire. Although the MC in SukaSuka has a lot more intrigue than Gran at this point, who comes across as kind of bland, SukaSuka's MC is also all over the place with his motivations and beliefs, and I think is a bit more of the typical LN repressed pervert stereotype (i.e. the guy who just happens to "innocently" find himself in sexy situations although he acts like he doesn't want it). That plus the awkward fanservice has made development of him and his female companions questionable, at best.

By contrast, Granblue's story is exceptionally straightforward and easily digestible. Everything happening thus far in Granblue makes sense both logically and within the story's world. The fantasy world is at least as engaging as any of the others, and the story is fun and somewhat inspirational. The characters, although not necessarily as intriguing as the other shows, are all likeable and easy for the audience to connect with. Finally, although Gran is a little stale, he is nonetheless the most superior of the three MCs as far as his good-intentioned motivations, honorableness and heroics, which are also characteristics common of JRPG MCs.

So in that respect, I think Granblue is being helped by its source material, and I think could still end up being the best of the three. That being said, it could be significantly better. I don't think Lyria has been used to her full potential, and although I like mascots and I think Vyrn is very cute, they could easily have raised the bar significantly by simply explaining to us where he comes from and why he is following Gran around, particularly if his origins were somehow tied to the mysterious goings on of the Empire.
Karphatos

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I would be ok with them doing a filler episode like this cause it was fun, but they skipped the most important subplot lorewise on Valtz Duchy from the game and changed Tzaka's rant to something else completely, so I'm not sure how to feel

Edit: They also skipped Drang and Sturm tagging along with them through the island. I'm also not sure how to feel about them getting visions of the next island when they touch a skymap piece, which is also new to the anime. The map pieces are only useful when you get a certain number of them in the game
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Bummer they changed that Draph storyline. I can't even remember what reason the show gave for Tzaka's temporary turn to evil magi-mechanic, aside from some vague hints of spooky powers making him do bad things similar to the Primal Beasts we've seen go bad thus far. His being at least partially tempted by a vengeful crusade to complete his oppressed kinsmen's revolutionary creation would have been a lot more memorable, coherent, and interesting...

Especially as it gives up a bit of realistic dirt on the Astrals. The show just seems to constantly hang them out as a mysteriously mysterious mystery without ever giving us any reason to care about them beyond that. The show so far feels like a pretty shell within which a good story could be inserted, but they seem to be really taking their time giving any depth to the world or characters.
Karphatos

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I can't even remember what reason the show gave for Tzaka's temporary turn to evil magi-mechanic, aside from some vague hints of spooky powers making him do bad things similar to the Primal Beasts we've seen go bad thus far.

That's exactly what they did, you aren't forgetting anything. He didn't even remember Io in the show while he does in the game. Also the change they made so that he was the one that built Colossus from scratch was kinda sketchy too.
The story of the game doesn't really get good until Amalthea Island by the way, which is 6 islands far away from now. The high points of the early story are Valtz Duchy with this subplot they deleted and Albion Citadel which we might not even reach. I thought they rushed Valtz to make space for Albion, but it turns out they didn't cause they decided to follow up with filler right after that. After Amalthea though, the story is great and keeps improving. I guess that's when they decided to go beyond just a mobage mild story line of adventure to an actual interesting story.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I won't spend too much time wondering how on earth Vyrn, who never even touches the ground, fell as well

I think someone pulled his tail, but don't quote me on that.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
I won't spend too much time wondering how on earth Vyrn, who never even touches the ground, fell as well

I think someone pulled his tail, but don't quote me on that.

yes, this is correct. It was Io
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4