• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Granblue Fantasy the Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karphatos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Karphatos wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

She doesn't appear in the main story and neither is the MC referred to with a female pronoun.

Except she does if you play as her instead of Gran

If by "she does" you mean "she only appears as a female to you", then i guess so. Neutral

I meant that the game's translation for the main story uses female pronouns for you when you are playing as Djeeta, some dialog switches genders, like Andira calling you big sister instead of big brother, and some side story events even have different artwork pieces, for example, a recent event had the crew doing a cooking battle and the art for Djeeta and Gran was different, showing them cooking with Lyria
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When she's swinging her sword around, she's totally confident, a sense I never really got from Gran

It should be mentioned that Djeeta's power here is totally different from Grans. Gran's power is more or less in like with what a player that's reading Chapter 12 of the story would have. Djeeta's, however, that of an HL (High Level) Player. This can be see during the first few minutes of the episode. When she's doing the laundry, you can see some particular clothes, one of which is of the "Warlock" Class. This class can only be obtained after you reach the HL status aka Rank 101.

So yeah, Gran is a casual while Djeeta is a no laifu Neet.

Many were complaining about how this episode was stupid, what with the new MC and stuff, but since this was more or less OVA 1 and a tribute to Djeeta fans (there's a lot), i don't see where the problem is. After all, "Extra" kinda means something... Neutral

I hear that Episode 14 will be a BD Extra, so i guess we'll have to wait for it.

GBF's anime was what i was expecting tbh. The story isn't all that good from the start (Not to say that it's bad, just a bit run of the mil.), but aside from a minor hiccups with the animation quality from time to time (particularly when characters are zoomed-out) and a few Story problems, which were already mentioned here, i thoroughly enjoyed this.

Cygames's representatives mentioned the fact that A-1 would keep animating GBF if the BD's sold enough, and as it currently stands, the probability of that happening is quite big.

Overall:

Enjoyment: 10/10 (For me at least)

Music: 6.5/10 (not higher because i listen to the OST's every damn day while playing the game)

Animation: 7/10 (Not higher because of the aforementioned hiccups.)

PS: Thanks for the weekly ingame bonuses, Cygames.

PSS: Hope that Rosetta's Swimsuit is released as a Summer skin... My wallet is ready. (.)(.)

PSSS: Thanks to the reviewer for not bashing the series, despite it's lackluster story/animation, like many have. Wink
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
So if there are a lot of Djeeta fans, why not have this series be all about her and her exploits? Wouldn't that make this series far more successful than initially?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So if there are a lot of Djeeta fans, why not have this series be all about her and her exploits? Wouldn't that make this series far more successful than initially?

Because while there are quite a lot of Djeeta fans, the same could be said for Gran. And the story was going to include Djeete, not as MC, but she would have been in the story had the guys at Cygames not discarded that idea. They wanted to keep the Boy meets Girl setting and having Djeeta would have dispersed..? the story quite a bit. At the very least we would have lost the simplicity factor that many are praising the anime for.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I found every single episode of this anime some of the most incredibly boring stuff (nothing cringingly bad, just extremely boring) I've sat through in ages (I'm honestly amazed I never just dropped the show and got it over with, I mean, I dreaded watching each episode as it became available). Interestingly enough, I actually enjoyed (not incredibly, just, you know, enjoyed) the final episode. Honestly, if they had just made the entire series like that one, and taken it at about that same level of seriousness the whole way through, I could've actually gotten a good level of ironic enjoyment out of the series. As it stands, however, 5/10, will definitely not watch if there's a season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4