• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Eromanga Sensei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Personally I'm more concerned about the fact that with the pseudo-sister being end game that the whole setup is pedofililic in nature.

It isn't. They are BOTH minors, plus the age of consent is 13, PLUS she could get married to him when she is 16 and he is 19.

Them both being minors is irrelevant in the eyes of the law. Pedophiles can be minors you know! They're not all perverted old men. I personally know a girl who at 8 was sexually abused by her older cousin who was still a minor. Also your age of consent is not correct. Individual prefectures all have laws that raises this age. You won't find a prefecture that actually has an age of consent of 13 in Japan.

I have no problems with romance stories with younger characters, but when you have an anime that spends time lingering over a character who is 12 YEARS OLD in a possibly suggestive pose, just ask yourself, would you have RL images like that? When you have younger characters in a show you simply can't treat them as a sex object.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Them both being minors is irrelevant in the eyes of the law. Pedophiles can be minors you know!

The definition of "pedophile" is "an adult or older adolescent who has a sexual preference for children", bruh.

Quote:
A person who is diagnosed with pedophilia must be at least 16 years old, and at least five years older than the prepubescent child, for the attraction to be diagnosed as pedophilia.[1][2]

Quote:
I personally know a girl who at 8 was sexually abused by her older cousin who was still a minor.

I'm pretty sure Masamune isn't that kind of a person to Sagiri. Rolling Eyes

12 and 15 is not a huge deal. Seriously though, do you think this guy would actually abuse this little girl in this anime?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

The definition of "pedophile" is "an adult or older adolescent who has a sexual preference for children", bruh.

Quote:
A person who is diagnosed with pedophilia must be at least 16 years old, and at least five years older than the prepubescent child, for the attraction to be diagnosed as pedophilia.[1][2]

You're using a very limited definition of pedophilia from the " Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" there. BTW that manual till only recently had homosexuality as a mental disorder!

There are plenty of examples of pedophiles who began their acts during adolescence. Them turning 16 doesn't suddenly make them a pedophile. They were before.

Again .. remember while you watch images of this character's butt on display that she is 12 YEARS OLD.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow... the amount of retarded comments is starting to get out of hand...

This crap isn't incest nowhere in the world. <.< Also, if you find those kinds of shots offensive, then don't watch Kogomo no Jikan, if you haven't already.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
You're using a very limited definition of pedophilia from the " Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" there.

So what definition am I supposed to go by?

Quote:
Again .. remember while you watch images of this character's butt on display that she is 12 YEARS OLD.

A butt that's fully clothed. Whoop.
I'm a girl who's not into girls so this has no effect on me. lol

Besides, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was far more offensive than this with characters that looked so much younger yet nobody complains?

If you're trying to accuse Masamune as some pedophile who's going to abuse Sagiri to satisfy his lust for her, I think you may not understand the characters very well.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
@ScruffyKiwi if you look at a cartoon girl and images of real underage girls pop into your head, I would highly suggest looking into therapy. The overwhelming majority of humans can distinguish fiction from reality and the ones who cannot are diagnosed with mental disorders. It's a very serious matter.

If the show makes you uncomfortable because of its content, then don't watch it. Plain and simple. She honestly looks older than most loli characters anyway so I don't know why this particular instance would be any different than the millions of others in anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, come on.....we don't need to go that far. Anime hyper

Keep it civil, guys Anime dazed
Fhoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
You guys are missing the point. It doesn't really matter if it's incest or not. The show isn't good or bad because of incest. It's just bad because of horrible writing and bland art. The sibling thing is probably either just an attempt to recreate the success of Oreimo or little sisters is just the writer's fetish.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fhoo wrote:
It's just bad because of horrible writing and bland art.

I don't agree at all and many people also will not. Even the reviewer had positive things to say about both aspects, but especially the artwork.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Fhoo wrote:
You guys are missing the point. It doesn't really matter if it's incest or not. The show isn't good or bad because of incest. [...] The sibling thing is probably either just an attempt to recreate the success of Oreimo or little sisters is just the writer's fetish.

I dare say for most still watching the show, you're right that the incest or whatever you want to call it isn't what will make it good or bad. For those who didn't watch it or saw one episode and went "Nooooope", however it would be important to their opinion of the show.

I'm not saying it is actually incest, but for some step-siblings is close enough or too close for comfort. It is a tactic used by many sibling romcoms, like ImoCho, Onee-chan ga Kita, and (spoilers for another show) spoiler[OniAi (well he was adopted)]. I don't know about NakaImo as I haven't seen it. OreImo did have real siblings but we know how that turned out. Considering the author of this show is the author of that last show, I can't imagine this shows isn't intended to appeal to people who like (fictional) incest.

To make clear where I stand, I have no issue with the quasi-incest, and while I am somewhat uncomfortable with her age, it isn't enough to deter me (though it does mitigate to a fair degree the appeal she may have for me) and I don't see her age vis-a-vis the mc's as problematic.

Addendum: I guess Elf Yamada is a fan of one of the London professional football clubs, Crystal Palace.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
PSA: If you're indifferent to or turned on by incest in fiction, you'll like it. If you're not, you'll hate it; don't watch it.

I'm loving the story, characters, art. I forgot how much I loved Oreimo, and this one's right on track. Only complaint's the one or two leering shots that serve as nothing but fanservice. No need to shove it in my face, I can appreciate the art just fine. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
I think that "pseudo-incest" might be on the right track to kind of refer to this, pseudo as in a mimic, that it is not quite the same thing. The show certainly has imouto fanservice in there, but if it is going off of how Oreimo worked, I don't think that was what was important and got interest. Part of it did kind of go into how a fairly young girl could actually enjoy material usually thought of for perverted males, and that being classified as both young and female it would alienate them. Add onto it the servicey but otherwise harmless imouto/oniichan stuff it kind of felt like there was a message that having fun at something should not make others go crazy over something not harming anyone, and in my opinion is why people felt betrayed with the last series.

The sister being so young here could be a bit of a problem, but so far I think that it might be kind of an interesting point on the age. I think that it is fair to say that twelve years old is too young in regards with her fifteen year old step brother. But more importantly I think is that we have a twelve year old girl character who likes to draw sexy/cute pictures, and the immediate response is saying too young, but I don't think that age is too young for some curiosity. And outside of some boy taking advantage of her curiosity and or her being ready for some sort commitment that comes from certain things, there is some kind of point at stupidity at visceral reactions. Little sister does not seem aching to cross some line, she should be happy in herself, and older brother is kind of crossing a line by saying that he finds her pictures stimulating, but perhaps a better alternative than him becoming some sort of repressed who screams over interacting with some girl. He also genuinely wants to look after her, he was making her meals and bringing home the bacon to help his family that is left. Being more open might not be so bad.

I think it is too soon to say "ew gross, brother and sister loving", I follow the peoples thoughts on it and as an older brother who personally finds the thought utterly impossible and against so much, I do kind of have some soft spot for the themes. It is not like I have some sort of secret fetish and will eat up anything with some sort of incest, I quite enjoy the nuance of sibling relationships, and some of the things can be quite funny.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Of course this show involves a fantasy of the brother and sister sleeping together. I don't think this author has been too coy with this fantasy/fetish he clearly enjoys. If that's ones thing, then great. If not, there might be other things to enjoy in the show though personally, I think it is hard to just ignore something like that when watching a show. The sister is a loli. Again, its a fetish that is abundant in anime. I don't know if it makes too much sense to complain about the fact that lolis exist, but rather, one can consider how well such concepts are used in this particular show.

Personally, I do question this particular set up. It's obviously very forced/contrived that the little sister is doing such sexual images for a published work at age 12. This is probably intended to make it seem like its okay for the older brother to fetishize her since she is already "naughty," and will be seen as more adult in her thinking and actions. Personally, I generally find this kind of contrived set up to be kind of weak. It's always seeking ways to absolve the older brother of any perceived negatives by molding the younger sister in such a way to justify the fetish. I would prefer that they just have the fetish and make the older brother work through that. That would seem more honest and authentic to me.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
^ Agreed that the setting so far is pretty contrived. Especially with spoiler[Elf Sensei moving in next door Rolling Eyes ] though so far the execution has been pretty great. The character banter has been enjoyable and all the potential harem candidates have great character designs.

The real quesiton is whether the author learned from Oreimo or not. Since the ending definitely ruined it for everyone; fans and haters if Kirino alike.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

The real question is whether the author learned from Oreimo or not. Since the ending definitely ruined it for everyone; fans and haters if Kirino alike.

I think they learn their lesson. Been no blood related will avoid all the drama the author gone trough to made the Oreimo ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8