• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Show By Rock!! Stage Musical's Visual Shows Shingan Crimsonz, Trichronika, Arcareafact

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
How Japan tries to attract audience? By making the actors look as gay as possible.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
How Japan tries to attract audience? By making the actors look as gay as possible.

Well that's an awfully loaded comment. How exactly do they look "gay" to you? Because to me, they look like the characters they're portraying.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:

Well that's an awfully loaded comment. How exactly do they look "gay" to you? Because to me, they look like the characters they're portraying.
You must be either blind or ignorant if you don't see what I'm talking about. When every single one of them looks like a K-Pop star -but in this case they added some feminine elements so that they can be shipped with each other by the "fans"- it should be obvious that they're trying to attract audience simply by the looks.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
You must be either blind or ignorant if you don't see what I'm talking about. When every single one of them looks like a K-Pop star -but in this case they added some feminine elements so that they can be shipped with each other by the "fans"- it should be obvious that they're trying to attract audience simply by the looks.

What feminine elements? Please be specific, because I'm ignorant, after all.

And they don't need to attract an audience; they already have an audience. Show By Rock!! isn't some new, stage-original thing. The audience is there because they already love the characters from the game and anime, not because of how attractive the actors are. And make no mistake, the actors look spot-on as their characters.

Do you even know what Show By Rock!! is?
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
Well assuming that all of the members in all 3 bands are males, some of them look straight up like girls. If they are actually girls, then I'll take back that they look feminine.

Quote:
And they don't need to attract an audience; they already have an audience.
Yes obviously otherwise this wouldn't be a thing.

Quote:
Show By Rock!! isn't some new, stage-original thing.
Yes yes, I know Show by Rock is a thing in Japan.

Quote:
The audience is there because they already love the characters from the game and anime, not because of how attractive the actors are.
I'd like to call bullshit on this. Certainly there will be people that will go on this musical to enjoy their favorite characters, but do you actually expect anyone to think that the majority of the viewers will not be there for the actors? Come on, be realistic. Everything that is aimed to a female audience needs to have handsome, good looking men, for the girls to fangirl and for the fujoshi to ship. I find that as stupid as when some shows aimed at a male audience have less clothing and more fanservice. It's just sad to see that whatever is aimed at women always cares more about the looks rather than the context, and it's funny enough that most of the times that's enough.

Quote:
And make no mistake, the actors look spot-on as their characters.
Oh I don't doubt that.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken it has 2 anime seasons, I haven't watched it personally though.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
sailorstarsun wrote:
Well assuming that all of the members in all 3 bands are males, some of them look straight up like girls. If they are actually girls, then I'll take back that they look feminine.

You're not answering the question, though. What specific "elements" do you find feminine? Yes, they're all actual, real men, and their features are pretty standard for Asian males. Are you saying they look "gay" because they're Japanese?

joe_g7 wrote:
Quote:
And they don't need to attract an audience; they already have an audience.
Yes obviously otherwise this wouldn't be a thing.

Then you agree that they don't need to "attract" an audience.

joe_g7 wrote:
Quote:
The audience is there because they already love the characters from the game and anime, not because of how attractive the actors are.
I'd like to call bullshit on this. Certainly there will be people that will go on this musical to enjoy their favorite characters, but do you actually expect anyone to think that the majority of the viewers will not be there for the actors? Come on, be realistic.

You can call bullshit all you want, but do you realistically think the fans are saying "Wow, I love the shit out of that character! But I'm actually only seeing the show for that actor I've never heard of before?" Really? Certainly there are people who go there because they like one of the actors, but I can actually tell you as someone who has gone to a Show By Rock!! musical that the majority of the viewers are there because they like the series. They have all the character straps and toys and plushies with them when they go; they play the game on their smartphones as they sit in the theater, waiting for the show to start. They will go even if one of the bands goes through a cast change, because they like the characters. I've been there. I've seen it. They love the characters, no matter how "gay" you think the actors look.

Quote:
Everything that is aimed to a female audience needs to have handsome, good looking men, for the girls to fangirl and for the fujoshi to ship. I find that as stupid as when some shows aimed at a male audience have less clothing and more fanservice. It's just sad to see that whatever is aimed at women always cares more about the looks rather than the context, and it's funny enough that most of the times that's enough.

The same goes for media aimed at a male audience. You know very well if a series had ugly girls, you wouldn't watch it. And as I don't believe you've watched anything aimed at women, I'll be the one to call bullshit this time. You couldn't possibly know anything about looks vs. context regarding something you've never seen.

Quote:
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken it has 2 anime seasons, I haven't watched it personally though.

So why did you click a link to a news article about something you don't know and don't care about? And why would you fling around a word like "gay" to describe the appearance of characters you don't know?
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
You're not answering the question, though. What specific "elements" do you find feminine? Yes, they're all actual, real men, and their features are pretty standard for Asian males. Are you saying they look "gay" because they're Japanese?
The "specific element" is that some of them look straight up like girls and have a ton of unnecessary makeup, and no, being Japanese doesn't mean you're gay. What kind of stupid question is that?

Quote:
I consider whichever play says that "we don't need to attract a new audience, we already have one" to be a failure as a play the moment those words are said.

Quote:
You can call bullshit all you want, but do you realistically think the fans are saying "Wow, I love the shit out of that character! But I'm actually only seeing the show for that actor I've never heard of before?" Really? Certainly there are people who go there because they like one of the actors, but I can actually tell you as someone who has gone to a Show By Rock!! musical that the majority of the viewers are there because they like the series. They have all the character straps and toys and plushies with them when they go; they play the game on their smartphones as they sit in the theater, waiting for the show to start. They will go even if one of the bands goes through a cast change, because they like the characters. I've been there. I've seen it. They love the characters, no matter how "gay" you think the actors look.
No, I feel like you barely bothered to read my reply and you're just rambling whatever suits you, so I'll repeat, maybe this time you'll actually pay attention to what I say. I never said that no one goes there because they like the characters, I said that a lot of the people go there because the characters look attractive and they can fangirl. But I guess it doesn't matter, since you're a fan you won't listen.

Quote:
The same goes for media aimed at a male audience. You know very well if a series had ugly girls, you wouldn't watch it.
Didn't I say exactly that in my previous reply, but oh yes, I forgot that you barely paid attention to anything I said.

Quote:
And as I don't believe you've watched anything aimed at women, I'll be the one to call bullshit this time. You couldn't possibly know anything about looks vs. context regarding something you've never seen.
So you're saying I'm mistaken? Shows like Starmyu, Uta no Prince-sama, Touken Ranbu etc etc all have some very good stories and are loved NOT for the guys? Color me surprised.

Quote:
Quote:

So why did you click a link to a news article about something you don't know and don't care about? And why would you fling around a word like "gay" to describe the appearance of characters you don't know?[/quote] Because I can and I care, I never said I don't care. Because that's the best way to describe them.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
sailorstarsun wrote:
The "specific element" is that some of them look straight up like girls and have a ton of unnecessary makeup, and no, being Japanese doesn't mean you're gay. What kind of stupid question is that?

How do they look like girls? Their facial structure? Lip shape? Hairline? And are you aware that facial features can't be changed? As I said, they all seem to have pretty standard Asian features, so if you're saying these features make them look "gay," then you are the one equating Asian with gay.

Do you know anything about theater? The actors have to wear a lot of makeup or else the stage lights will wash out their features. The "ton" of makeup isn't unnecessary; it's actually quite necessary, or else the audience wouldn't be able to discern their expressions.

Also, I did not ask if you thought being Japanese made someone gay. I asked:
sailorstarsun wrote:
Are you saying they look "gay" because they're Japanese?
Because that's how you're making it sound.

Quote:
Quote:
I consider whichever play says that "we don't need to attract a new audience, we already have one" to be a failure as a play the moment those words are said.

You're right, if an original theater production said something like that, they would be in trouble. But as we've established already, Show By Rock!! isn't an original production. It's a running franchise with a large fanbase. The musicals are produced for the fans, much like a concert or seiyuu event. Are you saying the musical will be a failure if they can't pull in random people off the streets? But that's like saying the Love Live concerts are failures if they can't pull in random people off the streets, or that any given seiyuu event is a failure if it can't pull in random people off the streets. That's ridiculous.

Quote:
No, I feel like you barely bothered to read my reply and you're just rambling whatever suits you, so I'll repeat, maybe this time you'll actually pay attention to what I say. I never said that no one goes there because they like the characters, I said that a lot of the people go there because the characters look attractive and they can fangirl.

No, actually you said:
joe_g7 wrote:
do you actually expect anyone to think that the majority of the viewers will not be there for the actors?

You did not say "a lot" and for the "characters." You literally wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:
the majority

joe_g7 wrote:
for the actors

It's right there; you can check for yourself. Maybe you should pay attention to what you say.
And of course the fans are going to the show to act like fans. That's the whole point. Duh.

Quote:
Quote:
The same goes for media aimed at a male audience. You know very well if a series had ugly girls, you wouldn't watch it.
Didn't I say exactly that in my previous reply,

No, you didn't. You said:
joe_g7 wrote:
Everything that is aimed to a female audience needs to have handsome, good looking men, for the girls to fangirl and for the fujoshi to ship. I find that as stupid as when some shows aimed at a male audience have less clothing and more fanservice.

You used "everything" for female-oriented shows, but "some shows" for male-oriented shows. You're using two sets of criteria (all vs. some) to compare things (female viewers vs. male viewers), and that doesn't work.
See? I am paying attention.

Quote:
Quote:
And as I don't believe you've watched anything aimed at women, I'll be the one to call bullshit this time. You couldn't possibly know anything about looks vs. context regarding something you've never seen.
So you're saying I'm mistaken? Shows like Starmyu, Uta no Prince-sama, Touken Ranbu etc etc all have some very good stories and are loved NOT for the guys? Color me surprised.

I haven't seen most of the shows you've listed, so I can't comment on the quality of their stories. But you could ask that question about any given series and of course the fans are going to say "Yes, the story was fantastic!" so I don't see your point.

Quote:
Quote:
So why did you click a link to a news article about something you don't know and don't care about? And why would you fling around a word like "gay" to describe the appearance of characters you don't know?
Because I can and I care, I never said I don't care. Because that's the best way to describe them.

Why do you care? Does it really hurt your pride that much that some actors are good looking?
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
How do they look like girls? Their facial structure? Lip shape? Hairline? And are you aware that facial features can't be changed? As I said, they all seem to have pretty standard Asian features, so if you're saying these features make them look "gay," then you are the one equating Asian with gay.
Their face looks like girls, is that not enough or do you want a geometrical equation about the size of their lips or nose?

Quote:
Do you know anything about theater? The actors have to wear a lot of makeup or else the stage lights will wash out their features. The "ton" of makeup isn't unnecessary; it's actually quite necessary, or else the audience wouldn't be able to discern their expressions.
Yeah, but at the picture they're not at the theater, their taking promotional pictures which makes their face look unnecessarily makeup'd. And yes, I understand, in theater it would be a different matter.

Quote:
Also, I did not ask if you thought being Japanese made someone gay. I asked:
sailorstarsun wrote:
Are you saying they look "gay" because they're Japanese?
Because that's how you're making it sound.
You asked if I thought they're gay because they're Japanese, you're the one who started with the Asian/Japanese thing and now I'm guilty of supposedly thinking Japanese/Asians are gay looking? That's absurd.

Quote:
You're right, if an original theater production said something like that, they would be in trouble. But as we've established already, Show By Rock!! isn't an original production. It's a running franchise with a large fanbase. The musicals are produced for the fans, much like a concert or seiyuu event. Are you saying the musical will be a failure if they can't pull in random people off the streets? But that's like saying the Love Live concerts are failures if they can't pull in random people off the streets, or that any given seiyuu event is a failure if it can't pull in random people off the streets. That's ridiculous.
Alright, be it your way, if that's what you believe I won't insist.

Quote:
Quote:
No, I feel like you barely bothered to read my reply and you're just rambling whatever suits you, so I'll repeat, maybe this time you'll actually pay attention to what I say. I never said that no one goes there because they like the characters, I said that a lot of the people go there because the characters look attractive and they can fangirl.

No, actually you said:
joe_g7 wrote:
do you actually expect anyone to think that the majority of the viewers will not be there for the actors?

You did not say "a lot" and for the "characters." You literally wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:
the majority

joe_g7 wrote:
for the actors

It's right there; you can check for yourself. Maybe you should pay attention to what you say.
And of course the fans are going to the show to act like fans. That's the whole point. Duh.
Ah yes, you're totally right, it seems like I did write actors, I'll just stop with that. I can't bother anymore to put any energy into convincing you that I'm not totally mistaken. Also there's a difference between a fan and a fangirl, and PLEASE don't ask me what the difference is, I don't wanna write any more that it is necessary (duh).

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't I say exactly that in my previous reply,

No, you didn't. You said:
joe_g7 wrote:
Everything that is aimed to a female audience needs to have handsome, good looking men, for the girls to fangirl and for the fujoshi to ship. I find that as stupid as when some shows aimed at a male audience have less clothing and more fanservice.

You used "everything" for female-oriented shows, but "some shows" for male-oriented shows. You're using two sets of criteria (all vs. some) to compare things (female viewers vs. male viewers), and that doesn't work.
See? I am paying attention.[/quote] fudge the criteria, I'm talking about shows aimed at guys and shows aimed at girls, can you tell me any show that was aimed at girls and didn't have hot guys as it's main selling point? Recent shows though (no Kids shows please). The last one I remember is Orange from last summer.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't seen most of the shows you've listed, so I can't comment on the quality of their stories. But you could ask that question about any given series and of course the fans are going to say "Yes, the story was fantastic!" so I don't see your point.
My point is that these shows get love not for their good story or animation, but for the hot guys, and that's sad.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because I can and I care, I never said I don't care. Because that's the best way to describe them.

Why do you care? Does it really hurt your pride that much that some actors are good looking?
Why does it always have to be pride or jealousy? The "good looking" actors have nothing to do with me caring, I'm not 'salty', I don't care if all of them are Mr.World or just some random dudes picked from the streets. I care about the fact that the industry has decided that girls only deserve beautiful things that are empty on the inside, and it doesn't matter if you say "you're a guy, it does affect you" because I will still care. Now that I think about it I kinda sound like a person who cares about social justice xD although I hate that kind.

P.S: This quoting thing is getting super complicated and me using my phone is making it very hard to keep up, so I may have made some BBCode mistakes...

EDIT: I tried to edit it but I also kinda wanted to leave it there because it's funny, I wanted to say that "I sound like a Social[s]e[/s] Justice[s]i[/s] Warrior[s]e[/s]" but I wrote only the first letters from each word, and ANN changed it to Shounen Jump Weekly .__.

EDIT 2: After many edits I added 'e, I, e' at the end of the letters because it kept changing into Social Justice Warriors. Jesus Christ ANN.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
Their face looks like girls, is that not enough or do you want a geometrical equation about the size of their lips or nose?

Their faces look like Japanese males. If you're going to put forth the claim that they look female, then yes, I will need geometrical equations or some other kind of proof.

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but at the picture they're not at the theater, their taking promotional pictures which makes their face look unnecessarily makeup'd. And yes, I understand, in theater it would be a different matter.

Do... Do you think they don't use bright lights in professional photoshoots? Do you think actors don't wear makeup in movies, despite not being in a theater? Any media that requires bright lighting is also going to require actors/models to wear makeup.

Quote:
now I'm guilty of supposedly thinking Japanese/Asians are gay looking?

All I'm saying is that's how you're making it sound. If you read "They have normal Asian features" and reply "looks gay," that's the connection it looks like you're making.

Quote:
Quote:
fudge the criteria, I'm talking about shows aimed at guys and shows aimed at girls, can you tell me any show that was aimed at girls and didn't have hot guys as it's main selling point? Recent shows though (no Kids shows please). The last one I remember is Orange from last summer.

I don't watch much anime, actually, so it's hard to think of specific titles, but ones that come to mind are Natsume Yuujinchou, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, and Osomatsu-san, to name a few.

Quote:
My point is that these shows get love not for their good story or animation, but for the hot guys, and that's sad.

But how do you know these shows are loved for the hot guys and not the story? Have you asked women about it? Like, in an actual discussion, not an assumption-based berating? Are you psychic? Can you see into the inner hearts of women everywhere and just know what draws them to what they like? How do you know?

Quote:
I care about the fact that the industry has decided that girls only deserve beautiful things that are empty on the inside

Again, how do you know these things are empty on the inside?
Do you think the Show By Rock!! Musical is "empty on the inside?" If so, why do you think that, when you've literally never seen it? How can you think that, when you've literally never seen it?

Quote:
P.S: This quoting thing is getting super complicated and me using my phone is making it very hard to keep up, so I may have made some BBCode mistakes...

I know; the quoting formatting on here is getting annoying, even on a computer. Must be an absolute pain on a phone.

Quote:
EDIT: I tried to edit it but I also kinda wanted to leave it there because it's funny, I wanted to say that "I sound like a Social[s]e[/s] Justice[s]i[/s] Warrior[s]e[/s]" but I wrote only the first letters from each word, and ANN changed it to Shounen Jump Weekly .__.

EDIT 2: After many edits I added 'e, I, e' at the end of the letters because it kept changing into Social Justice Warriors. Jesus Christ ANN.

I would rather read about Shounen Jump Weekly than those people, anyway. ^^
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
Quote:
now I'm guilty of supposedly thinking Japanese/Asians are gay looking?
All I'm saying is that's how you're making it sound. If you read "They have normal Asian features" and reply "looks gay," that's the connection it looks like you're making.
I'm not going to insist anymore, I've lost the will.

Quote:
Quote:

But how do you know these shows are loved for the hot guys and not the story? Have you asked women about it? Like, in an actual discussion, not an assumption-based berating? Are you psychic? Can you see into the inner hearts of women everywhere and just know what draws them to what they like? How do you know?
Because I've seen discussions about them, both in forums and social media. There's always "oh he was hot in this episode" comments yet there's a surprising lack of "oh they blended the characters so well this time, the dance/fights was nicely choreographed" etc etc there's always a large amount of females having nosebleeds in discussions.

Quote:
Quote:
I care about the fact that the industry has decided that girls only deserve beautiful things that are empty on the inside

Do you think the Show By Rock!! Musical is "empty on the inside?" If so, why do you think that, when you've literally never seen it? How can you think that, when you've literally never seen it?
I know because I've seen a lot of them, and no, I don't judge things before watching them so I can't say about show by rock. For this I'd say that it has the formula for all the "empty on the inside" shows, ikemen that you can fangirl or ship, but hey I hope I'm wrong, there would be nothing better than that.

P.S: I left out some of the things cause I've mostly lost interest/got tired, it's been over a day since we've started this after all.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite impressed with the outfits these bands are wearing! Smile They look all ready to make a cold night a blazing musical thrill!

Edit: Yes! 5700 posts!
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Because I've seen discussions about them, both in forums and social media. There's always "oh he was hot in this episode" comments yet there's a surprising lack of "oh they blended the characters so well this time, the dance/fights was nicely choreographed" etc etc there's always a large amount of females having nosebleeds in discussions.

By that logic, I would have every right and reason to believe anime aimed at guys is nothing but titties, titties, titties, and thicc, thicc thighs. I've never seen proper discourse about a series from a guy. But I've seen a lot of long, drawn-out meta from women about the series they're passionate about. I've seen insanely in-depth analysis of plot, character interaction, psychology, and, yes, gushing over beautiful animation. A lot of it is posted on Tumblr; you should check it out if you're actually interested.
But if you're only interested in holding to your (incorrect) ideas of what women like to watch, well... Carry on, I guess.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I know because I've seen a lot of them, and no, I don't judge things before watching them so I can't say about show by rock. For this I'd say that it has the formula for all the "empty on the inside" shows, ikemen that you can fangirl or ship, but hey I hope I'm wrong, there would be nothing better than that.

What is this formula? I'm curious; I'd like to be able to spot it for myself.

Quote:
P.S: I left out some of the things cause I've mostly lost interest/got tired, it's been over a day since we've started this after all.

Same, honestly. Heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1