• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Earns US$2.4 Million in 3rd Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
All movies based on anime will be failures. 100% guaranteed. That's just how it is.

I said this before Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said it after Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said that GitS would fail and people waved it off, hoping for the best, I say it now, that GitS has failed and people still choose to wave it off. And GitS and DBE are not the only examples.

Honestly. Stop deluding yourselves already. It's like you guys actually want for a live-action movie based on anime to succeed or something. But it's not going to happen. GitS was probably the best shot they have had to make this work and they blew it anyway. Just like they blew their shot at A Kite, which was also suited for adaption to a live-action movie.
Hey you can't speak for all of us . I do want live action anime movies to succeed . As a america I would love to see more movies based on anime .My point is Ghost in the shell did better than Evolution. . That is a step in the right direction Anime live actions are getting better . One day I do think will see an anime film succeed.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Add my 1100 yen to the box office next time. I actually did enjoy the movie, great visual effects, great soundtrack, and the actors weren't that bad for their parts. One thing I have to agree with people being critical of the movie was the lacking part of the actual story and the character development, some of the more behind the scenes Section 9 personnel did not see a lot of love in this movie, and I was expecting spoiler[Beat Takeshi to speak English in this movie, but with technology the way it is nobody really needs to translate.] Honestly to understand this movie you at least need to know the lore or the original story line behind Ghost in the Shell, either the original anime movie or the manga. I would give it a 7/10 in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
All movies based on anime will be failures. 100% guaranteed. That's just how it is.

I said this before Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said it after Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said that GitS would fail and people waved it off, hoping for the best, I say it now, that GitS has failed and people still choose to wave it off. And GitS and DBE are not the only examples.

Honestly. Stop deluding yourselves already. It's like you guys actually want for a live-action movie based on anime to succeed or something. But it's not going to happen. GitS was probably the best shot they have had to make this work and they blew it anyway. Just like they blew their shot at A Kite, which was also suited for adaption to a live-action movie.

"All movies based on anime will be failures. 100% guaranteed. That's just how it is."

Sorry but that is a overstatement-Japanese films based on anime&manga make money-why because they are made for their niche market. Smile

Ghost in the Shell,a title little know outside it's fan base,tried to reach a broader market,and it seemingly has failed.

Was it seen by many as yet another sci-fi pic full of flashy CGI effects,thus said ho-um and skipped it?

Meh.

Alita: Battle Angel is upcoming and then U.S version of BLEACH will be out at some point-so we'll see if Hollywood does something right.

I'am looking forward to the Japanese release of Gin Tama, I'll add that.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

Some people really want anime to be mainstream in America for some reason. And by anime I mean LA adaptions, because comics are still selling poorly despite superhero movies doing well. People like to pretend a LA movie doing well somehow makes the source material more valid in public eyes. All it means is now those actors will forever be considered the characters.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Some people really want anime to be mainstream in America for some reason.

If anime gets closer to mainstream it will become easier to find and less expensive, and just generally more accessible to everybody. The only negative aspect is that some anime fans who enjoy feeling special because they watch anime will find it harder to keep that feeling.

Quote:
And by anime I mean LA adaptions, .

By anime I mean cartoons from Japan, what this web site is based on.
There are people who, right now, will not consider watching any animation but might decide to give it a try if they enjoy the live version.
If they do not try it, or try it and do not like it, then nothing has changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

I said this before Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said it after Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off.

....I'm guessing they waved it off because you were using one movie for the basis of an over generalization one that ignores the fact that you can make good adaptations of an existing work.

0nsen wrote:
I said that GitS would fail and people waved it off, hoping for the best, I say it now, that GitS has failed and people still choose to wave it off. And GitS and DBE are not the only examples.

Oh? so what other major anime/manga has hollywood adapted into movies....besides the ones that are either still in development hell (Akira) or ones that we've had yet to see (Battle Angel Alita) because they haven't finished production or debuted (Death Note).

0nsen wrote:
It's like you guys actually want for a live-action movie based on anime to succeed or something.

That's a bad thing why? Especially when the adaptation can get more people to go track down the source material.

0nsen wrote:
But it's not going to happen. GitS was probably the best shot they have had to make this work

No it wasn't especially given it's a in genre that's incredibly oversaturated..
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I would like to remind everyone that Dragon Ball Evolution wasn´t a "blockbuster". The budget was 30 mil. Even the runtime of 84 minutes showed what sort of film you would likely get to see. Trying to find a proper connection between it and a film that cost 4 to 6 times it´s budget, that got a real promotional push, that is in a different genre, that featured a star and so on is questionable at best.
People shrugged and moved on when Dragon Ball Evolution came out but that will be VERY hard here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs will soon get a new entry, but Paramount at least got Bayformers 5 (see, US anime can print money) and MI 6 on the horizon. GitS isn´t even their first bomb of the year but i still would love to see their tax return for 2017.

Let´s see if the right lessons will be learned here, one can only hope. I am looking at you WB, as Akira has been in development hell for 15 years. Get my man Snyder on the phone. Critics will 100% hate it but such a film would be a source accurate and likely profitable Hard-R. Ex Machina also won an effects Oscar, on a budget of only 15 mil. Snyder´s DotD remake lastly cost $26 mil, yet looked mighty impressive. Inexpensive films don´t need to be cheap after all. The sadly successless Dredd is another example.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
If you want a comp, then GITS has a better 'total' than Speed Racer and that Bruce Willis movie, Surrogates.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

100% guarantee, eh.....So you will sell your soul to the devil willingly, if you are wrong in the future. Perhaps we need you to sign the dotted line, so the devil will make it happen.

0nsen wrote:

I seriously doubt people waved off Dragon Ball Evolution after seeing it.

0nsen wrote:

Honestly, we do. It is not an impossibility, as much as you want it to be. Just because there has not been a clear cut success, doesn't mean there never can be one.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The movie is really not that bad. I definitely at least suggest to watch it on netflix or rent it
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nordhmmer"]
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Power Rangers has a listed budget of $100 million and has made $128 million. Now given it's marketing, as of now Power Rangers lost tens of millions,.

Ghost in the Shell has a listed budget of $110 million and has earned $152 million.
Now given it's marketing, as of now GiTs also lost tens of millions.

Unfortunately, if it makes more than the budget that's technically a success in their books.

Ali07 wrote:
I wonder what the likelihood of more Power Rangers movies is now? I'm sure that there was mention of 6 movies being the amount they were aiming to make.

Given that outcome, I think the studio's might be rethinking that kind of commitment.
Even Forbes thinks that would be a risky choice:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/04/11/box-office-why-a-power-rangers-sequel-would-be-a-risky-bet/#77756717322f
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
[Power Rangers has a listed budget of $100 million and has made $128 million.
Now given it's marketing, as of now Power Rangers lost tens of millions,.

Ghost in the Shell has a listed budget of $110 million and has earned $152 million.
Now given it's marketing, as of now GiTs also lost tens of millions.

Future Blue-ray/DVD sales aside, both are "bombs" and GiTs's failure is getting too much attention.

That is a pretty big "aside" though. Home video sales often bring a movie's profitability back to positive numbers. It happens most often with movies aimed at children, as parents will buy them for their kids, and I can see it happening with Power Rangers. Ghost in the Shell, on the other hand, that's a tougher hill to climb.

0nsen wrote:
Honestly. Stop deluding yourselves already. It's like you guys actually want for a live-action movie based on anime to succeed or something.

I definitely do. Why do you assume that we don't?

Lord Oink wrote:
Some people really want anime to be mainstream in America for some reason. And by anime I mean LA adaptions, because comics are still selling poorly despite superhero movies doing well. People like to pretend a LA movie doing well somehow makes the source material more valid in public eyes. All it means is now those actors will forever be considered the characters.

That's something I honestly don't mind one bit. If anime becomes something I can discuss by the water cooler at the office, then that's a success to me. (Comic books have been on the upswing. It's not somethoing really big, but it is some level of gain, which is still a benefit.)

SWAnimefan wrote:

Unfortunately, if it makes more than the budget that's technically a success in their books.

Not quite. Remember when Peter Jackson had his hand at King Kong? It made back the development budget but not the marketing budget. As a result, it was considered a flop, and he got stuck expanding The Hobbit into three movies as a safe bet. (Kong: Skull Island is a success even by Hollywood accounting standards, meaning audiences are still interested in the King Kong franchise.)
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Anime doesn't translate into live-action is the reason why this will never work. The Japanese couldn't figure out how to properly adapt anime into live-action and Hollywood won't manage either.

Hoping for success at this is a pipe dream.

Live-action adaptions do nothing to change the perception of anime in the public. Comic adaptations do nothing to change the perception of comics in the public. That's how it is. Face reality.

All live-action adaptations do is override the original in the perception of the public.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Live-action adaptions do nothing to change the perception of anime in the public. Comic adaptations do nothing to change the perception of comics in the public. That's how it is. Face reality.

What do you mean by that? From what I've been observing, the effect of superhero movies has changed the public perception dramatically. No longer is it the geeky, dorky stuff enjoyed only by social outcasts. Comic book stores have been getting more business (not that much more, but it's had an increase), and graphic novels have been popping up at bookstores and department stores, with Amazon directly promoting new releases and landmark stories of the past. (And then there's novels, which DOES see sales spikes when a movie comes out.)

You're also moving the goalposts here. It's gone from "You shouldn't want live-action adaptations to be successful" to "Anime adaptations will never be successful" to "Successful adaptations don't increase the popularity of the source material."
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Future Blue-ray/DVD sales aside, both are "bombs" and GiTs's failure is getting too much attention.

Alita:Battle Angel will face a similar issue as did Gits,a niche anime/manga fan base,an a once fresh story, released after many a copy/clone has gutted the market.
Sigh and I never did care for the motorball storyline.

Battle Angel Alita has the distinction of having a talented staff behind it though. I have faith that Alita will be fantastic. It's just the sort of universal narrative that can be enthralling in any medium. I just hope people aren't too turned off from hollywood live-action anime adaptations after being put through these dumpster fires we've seen so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3