• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Within Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Oh man if Araragi doesn't win this next poll, I will be very sad. Also glad to see people remember the greatness that is Tu-tu-ru!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hana is criminally low on that list
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Wait has that thing involving Soul Taker and Nurse Witch Komugi been confirmed? I thought it was the American VAs coming up with the theory during a commentary...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Char is horrifyingly low.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I may be the second to champion Getsumen to Heiki Mina. I remember it as a strange but humorous show, one that I'd purchase with a low-priced release.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
As for "Ananimeime" (anime within anime?), what was the name of the little cute Care Bears-like show that Mutsumi would always quote for advice in Love Hina, and then misremember the episodes as going horribly wrong? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

And if the episodes were still on Crackle, we might remember Nodame memorizing the Doraemon-like Puri-Gorota on Nodame Cantabile, and how her unnatural fandom even embarrasses other Western so-called "otaku"?

Yeah: Doraemon and Care Bears...Wanna translate that one, Dr. Freud? Rolling Eyes
Now let's get back to our favorite hikkikomori-strawman Sato being hooked on cutesy girlfriend-replacement Digi-Charat catgirls on WttNHK.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Lynzee watched the whole episode of Shirobako's Exodus. Because to do that you would have to either buy the Japanese discs or go through illegal means.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Again, not a character from an anime, but I did enjoy Kamiya as Chalcedony Akerman from Tales of Hearts and its remake.

As for the list, anime within anime is fun in its own way. I do find it fascinating that a TV show that exists for the characters to watch does get its own spinoff.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Dammit to hell, now I have "Puru-puru-pururin!" lodged firmly in my brain again. The one-off Kujibiki Unbalance episodes that were included as a bonus with Genshiken were stupidly amusing enough, but I heard that the full-fledged series killed the joke entirely and was just a chore. I'm just thankful that Media Blasters released a Genshiken set with its OVA episodes included, so that I didn't have to get those individual KujiUn volumes for it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It's a video game rather than an anime, but I did get a kick out of Bizarre Jelly, the moe magical girl series that Travis Touchdown is into in the No More Heroes games. The second game introduces the sequel series Bizarre Jelly 5, with an animated opening for it and a simple schmup as a minigame Travis can play from his apartment.

Quote:
Of course, the cast of Gekiganger 3 are later shown watching Martian Successor Nadesico, leaving the audience to wonder which is the "real" anime.

Though Nadesico did it first, officially, Futurama is a TV show in the world of The Simpsons, and The Simpsonsis a TV show in the world of Futurama.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Does it count that Dirty Pair's first anime appearance was in the anime film, Crusher Joe?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was "pudu~pudu~pudurin~~...Sato even wonders if the character is a pudding...Anyway, what about Yuru Yuri's Majokko Mirakurun? Not only was it integrated into the series, it had an actual plot and might have been fun to see "for real".
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The bit I love best about the Nadesico/Gekigangar bits? Akito ends up cribbing a special move off what one the Gekigangar cast create in one episode. Later on, during the Gekigangar recap episode, it shows them watching Nadesico, seeing Akito's special move, and then creating the originating move based off of it. So we got a bit of a paradox here if you believe both universes exist.

Which, now that I think about it, might have been hinting at something down the line.

Isn't there a show within a show in Chrome Shell Regios as well? With really horrible Engrish?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't rate one Japanese VA from another, so shouldn't the poll be on English VA's instaed??? Confused
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
@Animechic420 Um, no? What? The poll isn't rating any one against anyone else; it's just asking for favourite roles of one voice actor.

You're not obligated to vote and the poll won't grind to a halt if you don't.

I voted for Araragi from Monogatari Series, Akashi from Kuroko's Basketball, Yuuta from Honey and Clover, Saiki from Saiki Kuoso (while I thought the anime was only okay, Kamiya did a great job as the main character) and I had to add Penguin from Polar Bear Café, which had an amazing voice cast with an excellent performance from Kamiya.

Quote:
The anime has mixed reviews among Genshiken's cast, so it's hard to say whether the OVA and full-fledged television anime's staff were aiming for the same response.

Hey, the Kujibiki Unbalance OVAs were brilliant. The TV series may have been too much with too little variation, though. I see it very similar to Inferno Cop vs Ninja Slayer. One of my favourite little touches is how they made the OP very similar to Genshiken 's 2nd season's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErOZjTSJFrE

One anime-within-an-anime I like as well is Majokko Mirakurun from YuruYuri. It's not so much a parody as just a rather bizarre magical girl show, with the joke often being Kyouko reacting sincerely to the tonally-unfitting violence, general nonsense the plots devolves into or the dramatic tension of Mirakurun dying on the moon being ruined when she keeps briefly coming back to life to ask Rivarun to finish her homework or record a TV show for her. Mirakurun herself also has her own character songs. It's additionally notable for having what I'm pretty sure is the only recurring male role, the villain Ganbo.

Last edited by jymmy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2