• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Game Depicting Shinto Shrines as Moe Anime Girls Draws Criticism

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheValkyrieAsh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Really? Just be glad your religion is getting mentioned at all. Religion is kind of on its way out in first world countries.
Personally I'm waiting for a game where Jesus and the 12 apostles become Moe girls and you have to win them over by taking them on dates.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's fiction. Get over it. People need to stop being offended by things that don't exist.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also stressed that interpreting fortunes, which can be drawn at Shinto shrines, is much more subtle than simply very good versus very bad, and called the game's style of fortune drawing a misunderstanding and over-simplification of the process.

Say what now? I think they may have forgotten to send that memo out to everyone else...

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
It's fiction. Get over it. People need to stop being offended by things that don't exist.

Well, I think part of it is profit rather than being offended. Such as the shrines not wanting to be associated with bad luck due to the game website's fortune drawing.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quite more tolerant and rational than I expected.
Nobody wants to see their passion being oversimplified and nobody wants their source of income being tied to bad luck.

They're not even asking to get the game removed or saying it's all negative. That man is just like "hey, be more careful".
Not like it would be bad if all gacha games just vanished though.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means the shrines are going to want a more active part in the project, to attract more people and make themselves look better. If they don't ask to be excluded that is.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
All very reasonable complaints. Hopefully the developers take the criticism to heart and work towards making the game more authentic to its subject matter.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What on Earth was their basis for doing something like this?"

When someone is so behind the times, it simply isn't funny.

Pop media using historical or even religious references is nothing new, the only "difference" is that the target of this particular media is real world Shinto holy locations.

What can be said that supports the worries is that there DO indeed become spikes in popularity where tourists that otherwise would have no interest in the location would want to visit with the usual expected Otaku mentality and treat the sites like they would a theme park, there have been a fair number of anime series that would prominently feature some sort of shrine and within a year of premiere the hardcore of fans MUST see the real world location it was based upon.

There MIGHT be future issues, but it is likely an exaggeration of the potential problem (unless this Shrine Maiden app somehow usurps Kancolle, which then yeah otaku visiting places will be like locusts swarming your holy grounds).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
At least the response was better than the BBC. However, I don't think have too much to worry about, the Otaku and others playing these games aren't dummies.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
If anything they should look at this as a chance to ensnare interested youngsters to educate them. I mostly think they're upset they didn't think of it first.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
At least the response was better than the BBC. However, I don't think have too much to worry about, the Otaku and others playing these games aren't dummies.

I don't know about that last statement. These are the people spending hundreds on randomized cards, resources and lockout removers with the odds severely stacked against them.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I don't know about that last statement. These are the people spending hundreds on randomized cards, resources and lockout removers with the odds severely stacked against them.

I don't see how spending money on a hobby that you enjoy makes you a dummy. I wouldn't spend my money on that, but I'm sure I spend plenty on things some people wouldn't want to spend money on. So what if the odds are stacked against you. Plenty of people find gambling fun while knowing full well the odds are stacked against them (not talking about dummies / addicts that gamble more than they can afford).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The idea is that people that don't have patience and spend several months of worth of whatever money they muster up on digital goods may have entitlement issues.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
First off, given certain comments above, I feel I need to say this: Please be respectful of others, even if you don't believe in a deity or have faith in a religion.

As for this game developer, who knows what's their true motive. But I have to side with the priests. Even if the motives were pure, those gamer / fans / otaku very likely would be coming to the shrine with non-religious motives to pay omage to that character than the shrine / deity itself. Which devalues the shrine as a site of worship / or as a site of historical value. Which very well could be the "bad luck" the priests in the article was indirectly referring to.

Then there is the games profit itself. I don't see anything that the game developers are planning to share their profits with the shrines themselves. Which in a way is taking advantage of them. And these shrines aren't exactly rolling in the money. So I can't in good faith side with this company.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
TheValkyrieAsh wrote:
Personally I'm waiting for a game where Jesus and the 12 apostles become Moe girls and you have to win them over by taking them on dates.

Well, we've already got Jesus and Buddha as roommates (which was great, btw). So that wouldn't surprise me.

What did surprise me was that what they took issue with was the fortune telling and not the sexualization of the shrines. If this takes off, I would not want to be a shrine maiden at one of these sites.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
TheValkyrieAsh wrote:
Really? Just be glad your religion is getting mentioned at all. Religion is kind of on its way out in first world countries.

Kind of. An 6% drop in seven years is eyebrow-raising, but there's no indication of whether it'll be a continuing trend or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2