• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eccentric Family 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
It was really nice seeing Yajiro being able to transform (for a bit at least) and to meet his mother again. Good to see the feud between the two families is finally over, i hope our idiot twins will actually act according to this...

That's some heavy tension there between Benten and Nidaime...i guess they'll have either killed or madly fallen in love with each other by the end of the series. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Tanuki lose their transformation when they get scared and when they feel trapped. A simple psychoanalysis would indicate that Yasaburo feels trapped and scared by the idea of marriage and/or responsibility. Poor Kasei, she must have realized this a long time ago and kept it to herself. Yasaburo didn't seem aware that his reaction to her was so strong.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
@ Agent355 - I agree with your comment that tanuki lose the power to transform when scared or feeling trapped, but I think there are other components, as well. For example, the sight of his mother causes Yajiro to lose his (already shaky) ability to transform and I don't think either fear or a sense of being trapped is a factor, there. I think that, for the lack of a better word, sometimes emotional vulnerability of one sort or anther can trigger transformation loss. Your theory about why Yasaburo goes tanuki when he actually sees Kaisei is logical and probably correct, but it also could be that the sight of her triggers a certain kind of emotional vulnerability in Yasaburo that makes it impossible for him to keep his shit together. I think he'll get over it. YasaburoxKaisei 4-eva!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I confess that after episode 8's dramatic reveal of why Kaisei never shows herself to Yasaburo, I was a bit disappointed that this was not followed up on at all. The good news is that presumably the Yasaburo/Kaisei story is being saved as the climax and resolution of the season, which gives me something to look forward to.

In the meantime, the long-awaited showdown between Benten and Nidaime is nigh. It amuses me how they profess mutual hatred when, in fact, it is obvious they want to tear each others clothes off and get nasty. Er, if TEF was that kind of show, of course.

I sense more than just the usual tanuki love of stirring the pot in Yasaburo's dangerous defiance of Benten. I'm a little shocked he didn't high-tail to Osaka like he did in season 1 when he felt she wasn't too happy with him. There is no question he sincerely believes that, as a consumer of tanuki hot pot, Benten is a spectacularly inappropriate choice to witness the Trick Magister ceremony, but I also believe that he thinks facilitating the Benten/Nidaime showdown will bring about some sort of resolution to the father-son divide that exists between Akadama and Nidaime. At least I like to think so.

Anyway, given that Nidaime has already been shown to have the upper hand, power-wise, over Benten, I wonder if the crafty femme fatale has something up her sleeve.

Last week I did what I should have done before the broadcast of this sequel and rewatched the original series, loving it as much as I did the first time around. However, it did remind me of two things that have never really been explored and I wish they would be. First, there was the barest of mention that both Benten and Yasaburo are responsible for Akadama's bad back and general weakening. There was something called the Demon Cedar Tree incident that Benten seemingly masterminded, but that Yasaburo played an unwitting role in. My assumption is that the guilt Yasaburo feels over this explains (partly) his sense of duty to Akadama.

The second important thing that has never really been covered is why Akadama kidnapped Benten as a schoolgirl and trained her in the tengu ways. Certainly, this event explains Benten's often ambivalent treatment of Akadama, but I'd dearly love to get more background on this.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Catching up a little bit here.

Ep. 9 &10
Wow, that was incredibly reckless even for Yasaburo. Angering both Benten and Akadama, getting in between a Tengu dispute? Sheesh, that's not fun but possibly deadly dangerous. It did feel a little forced too. All the other Tanuki's going along with it with disregard towards Yasaburo's safety and that both Akadama and Benten wouldn't turn their ire towards them? I guess they are fools or lucky. In regards to Benten and the Nidaime's confrontation its always interesting to me how Eccentric Family can sometimes ratchet up the tension and diffuse it without me feeling cheated. The last bit with Benten saying that he doesn't understand anything that she has always been kind to Yasaburo. Now that was interesting, it might point to her seeing him as her only friend (in a minion sort of way) and this a stinging betrayal. He's just about put himself in that hotpot without anyone to pull him out.

Looking at the reviews now and I think a C grade for episode 9 was overly harsh.

I like Agent355 analysis of Yasaburo's inability to keep his transformation around Kasei. I think looking at what his fears are is definitely one way to approach it. I think loss of his freedom due to responsibilities is one thing certainly. There might also be a fear of intimacy, after all why has he always been attracted to the unattainable Benten? Besides the excitement of the danger involved and empathy for her loneliness I think deep down he knows this is as far as it goes and there's an emotional safety involved in that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting reveals and developments in episode 10. The big reveal is that Kureichiro Ebisugawa is not the real Kureichiro Ebisugawa. Kaisei, being the sharp cookie she is, sussed out that something was amiss and ran from home. It seems that Yajiro has met the real Kureichiro in his travels. All this begs the question - who is the person pretending to be Kureichiro? Tenmaya seems like a logical conclusion since he can cast illusions. Or it could be another tanuki, although which one is not clear to me.

Poor old Yaichiro - it seems he is not destined to be elected the Trick Magister without something getting in the way.

Seeing Kaisei and Yasaburo get shot was pretty shocking even though we know they are not dead. Clearly, they are on their way to the Friday Night Dinner Club.

I guess my assumption that Yasaburo's deliberate goading of Benten was something more than just his usual love of goading Benten. I really thought it was part of some plan to help Akadama and Nidaime reconcile. Apparently not. Just more run-of-the-mill Yasaburo shit-stirring. I really hope to see some character development for Yasaburo. This care-free, stir up trouble for the fun of it schtick is getting old.

Anyway, very eager to see how everything shakes out.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes, the friday club are out hunting?! Who could have ever foreseen such an event!

Honestly if anybody die here it's all on there hands, they are, and have always been, in a position to stop the friday club but chose not too. At this point the only way this can make logical sense is to assume that Tanuki just enjoy the thrill of being hunted.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Some interesting reveals and developments in episode 10. The big reveal is that Kureichiro Ebisugawa is not the real Kureichiro Ebisugawa.

I was surprised that the review didn't mention that at all. This and the fact that Akadama actually cut ties with Yasaburo (i found it interesting that the subs used "excommunicated") will probably have a lot of impact on things to come. Now we don't just have the Friday Club and a tengu succession war but also fake!Kureichiro who wil probably make his move at the election - can't wait to see how this will all play out (and if/how our little tanuki family will manage to stay alive...)!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
Ooooo, just had a theory as to who the fake Kureichiro may be. I actually don't think I'm right, but I'll toss it out any way: If it isn't Tenmaya (still my first choice), then what if Soun didn't actually die? What if he faked his death (with the help of Jurojin)? As I say, I don't really think I'm right, but we'll see.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Blood-, based on discussions on Reddit and other boards, that's what most fans are speculating right now (I didn't think of it until I read the Reddit posts on it). Question is, does that implicate Kasei? She was the last person to see her father alive, and she asked to be alone with him...and in this episode, she got Yasaburo alone and vulnerable right before they were attacked...it's very suspicious...could be that she's just being manipulated into, say, finding Yasaburo for her enemies who are tracking her movements unbeknownst to her. Or she could be the real mastermind here. After all, isn't one of the themes of this show that there is no wrath like a woman scorned? And who was scorned more than Kasei, rejected for a Tanuki eater?

The problem is, I'm not sure if I'd personally rather see Kasei as pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, as an innocent victim being manipulated by her dad, or as something in the middle. Emotionally, those are all bad choices, and narratively, I don't know what works best.

At least Gyokuran is an awesome female character in every respect! Smart, strong willed, always has great advice--I'd want her as a sister-in-law, too (btw, are they officially married yet and they skipped the wedding on screen, or are they waiting 'till after the election?)
Really loved the hole digging girl, but I got a distinct impression the show was shipping her with the much older looking Yajiro, which was uncomfortable. I know they can say "girl tanukis choose transformation forms that look younger than they really are," but if they just made her look a bit more like a teen than like a kid, they wouldn't have to. And I definitely hope she's not actually the tanuki equivalent of 8 while Yajiro is the tanuki equivalent of over 20 (judging by his past drinking habit)! If they do make her significantly younger, they should nip the ship teasing in the bud.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hmm, about Soun being the fake!Kureichiro, on the one hand it feels like a bit of a cheap plot twist unworthy of this show (and it would really weaken the ep. with his death scene which was done so beautifully), on the other hand, who else could it be? I'm still hoping it's Tenmaya, though...

As for Yajiro and hole-digging-girl, i didn't see their interactions as "ship teasing". And even if, it wouldn't bother me since looks can be pretty deceiving in the tanuki world (Kaisei's human form doesn't look older than maybe 10 and the Shimogamo mother like she's in her mid-twenties at most), her tanuki form didn't look like a pup at least...
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I really hope we get to see more of the hole-digging girl. She added a nice gust of fresh air to the story. And if she ends up with Yajiro, they can spend their lives together as frogs. Then whatever age difference there is wouldn't be very noticeable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Agent355 - interesting, I wasn't aware of the Reddit discussion. I really can't see Kaisei having a witting role in the deception. Perhaps she has been duped in some way, but I believe she genuinely loves Yasaburo (not that he appreciates her, the swine) and beyond that, I believe her to be a genuinely decent person-- er, tanuki.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Hmm, about Soun being the fake!Kureichiro, on the one hand it feels like a bit of a cheap plot twist unworthy of this show (and it would really weaken the ep. with his death scene which was done so beautifully), on the other hand, who else could it be? I'm still hoping it's Tenmaya, though...

It crossed my mind that it could be a tengu with help from some shape shifting magic, say perhaps one of Benten's loyal henchmen. His character design has been bothering me for a few episodes now, especially around his eyes. I couldn't put my finger on it, but now I'm thinking that it could be the result of inexperienced shape shifting--not that any other details fit this theory.

Blood- wrote:
@ Agent355 - interesting, I wasn't aware of the Reddit discussion. I really can't see Kaisei having a witting role in the deception. Perhaps she has been duped in some way, but I believe she genuinely loves Yasaburo (not that he appreciates her, the swine) and beyond that, I believe her to be a genuinely decent person-- er, tanuki.

I certainly hope you're right! I loved how her big ruse was to claim she eloped with Yasaburo, it was too cute!
Quote:
As for Yajiro and hole-digging-girl, i didn't see their interactions as "ship teasing". And even if, it wouldn't bother me since looks can be pretty deceiving in the tanuki world (Kaisei's human form doesn't look older than maybe 10 and the Shimogamo mother like she's in her mid-twenties at most), her tanuki form didn't look like a pup at least...

Trying to pinpoint what struck me as ship teasing in their interactions--
--he fell into the hole she dug
--she said she also liked transforming into a frog
--she said she found it very easy to talk to him...but Yasaburo has said that, too, so that might not mean anything specific.
--she revealed to him secrets she's keeping from her father
For me, it all comes back to: "she likes digging holes, he likes living in the bottom of a well, they both can turn into frogs" that's a lot of criteria right there!

I really like her, I would just prefer her human character design look a bit older if she's going to be Yajiro's love interest. But you guys are right: human transformations don't indicate tanuki girls' real ages (although Gyakuran looks like the sophisticated young lady she is!) and if they settle down as frogs, it won't make a difference, anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Kureichiro is not Tenmaya, because I'm now convinced that the fake is the "chief priest from a certain temple" that commissioned the Buddha addition to the painting (though I question the part about "chief priest" - the real Kureichiro is apparently too much of a slacker to achieve that. But that part could have been a lie by the fake.).

Or at least he wasn't Tenmaya. He might be now. Soun did not set up his own death, he was genuinely hysterical over Yasaburo ruining what was to be his big moment. And I don't believe that death scene will be undermined by "ha, nope, not really!" We saw the light go out of his eyes, his pupils dilate. I refuse to believe this series is that cheap. However I'm still left wondering how that air rifle killed Soun, but seems to have done not so much damage to Yasaburo and Kaisei (maybe closer range is more lethal). :/ And I really don't want to believe Kaisei is part of any plot, even for her family.

However, if Soun had been impersonating his son in order to keep tabs on his family and tanuki society, I think it'd be perfectly reasonable if Tenmaya took the opportunity to take his place.

One more puzzle that's just reared its head to me is Nidaime. Until Nick brought it up, I hadn't thought he was human, and now I (and everybody else?) have been viewing him as a human like Benten. But in the first episode, when the Trick Magister asks if it's really the Nidaime, in the flashback of his fight with his father, he has wings (and it took place 100 years ago). So even though this Nidaime claims not to be a tengu, he was the real deal back then.

So do we have two impersonators here? Ah, this series always keeps me guessing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8