• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The same trend of making extra long novel titles (since people will not bother to read the synopsis) is the same trend I am seeing here, where people want a series to start extra awesome from episode one. But if memory serves right, really awesome series start slow, like Re:Zero or Madoka. I can understand if the LN author did not want his series to be chopped off, since then the director would be entitled to animate only the parts of the novel that he thinks are good.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin; He actually has a proper name, but doesn't deserve to be remembered any other way with his inappropriate comments and lecherous tongue-wagging. At least everyone else present is also offended by him, so it isn't like the series is saying that his character is tolerable, but I'm saddened to think that someone actually thought his antics would be funny. (Now, if the staff was trying to make him disgusting, then they absolutely succeeded at that.)

Can not speak about the LN's portrayal, but in the manga's adaption he is shown as a perv.
The anime has more tongue flickering and reaction shots,vs the manga's student forced into sexy dance/stripping.In the manga the schoolmaster wanted to remove the perv's head instead of firing him as in the anime.

So I would lean towards the anime's director trying to play it up for laughs,the disgusting part is a bonus.
Though how does the intended Japanese audience views such things?

I found myself actually pressing fast forward through the training montage,and cringing at the semi-Potter vibe during some scenes.
The next few episodes should be more plot&action driven,if I remember correctly.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God that guy was disgusting. At least everyone else in the anime and everyone watching had the same reaction to him.

I was really happy to see that the tournament didn't focus on the matches so much is the interaction between the characters and how their teacher's confidence in them build their confidence in themselves.

It looks like there will be trouble next week though.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I felt that this episode rushed in a little too fast, but agree that not dwelling on all of the events works out in this one's favour.

Some series need the time to dwell on their competition aspect - The Irregular at Magic High School definitely did as it was a pretty big storyline - but here the upcoming events make this a better choice than drawing out the events.

I also agree that the "Count" was quite unnecessary, although I do wonder - based upon the fact that the humour seems to be meant to be drawn from the reaction to his perversions - if the original Light Novel author was intending that as a dig at a certain group of possible fans? It wouldn't be unheard of, but if it wasn't then it definitely falls flat as humour overall.

All that said, I personally disagree with the statement that the series isn't good though, it may not be great like some others airing this season (Rage of Bahamut, Atom, Re:Creators, Sakura Quest, SukaSuka, etc.), but it is above and beyond both the traditional magic school battle series and even series of other genres that have been released over the past few seasons. But that's just my feelings on it. I'm really enjoying this series, and definitely would feel fine discussing/recommending it to others so far.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Question Can anyone tell me why this 'Bastard Magical Instructor' has Akashic Records of any sort? That's a rather esoteric term, so is it used correctly or is it just another 'cool' term the writer came up with for no apparent reason at all? I've seen this used a lot... not that many would notice... but there has to be some reference to it, right? As it is a question of accessing the ARs not having them... but again, that is rather esoteric.. so why use this term? Is this character accessing the ARs? That's a pyschic access, which could be considered 'magical'... just wondering if this is the usual meaningless use of a term or not.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
While Tsugumomo at least is getting better as of the latest episode, this one is barely getting decent. I would change this one for the former to be reviewed weekly given that at least the source material is good, but who am I to do that? ANyways, good thing to hear that this one is improving.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
You know, you just kind of forget about the stripper outfits after a few episodes. Besides the creepy teacher guy no one in the show seems to care about all the skin showing, so I stopped thinking about it too.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
You know, you just kind of forget about the stripper outfits after a few episodes. Besides the creepy teacher guy no one in the show seems to care about all the skin showing, so I stopped thinking about it too.

That's... really strange. I hadn't noticed them in the least either the last couple of episodes. Which means they probably weren't being used for fan service opportunities very often or they'd be annoying me still. Or else they were and I'm so attached to the characters and story already that I stopped noticing them.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
this seems to be the kind of show, while never being good, will be good enough.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
gdpetti wrote:
:?: Can anyone tell me why this 'Bastard Magical Instructor' has Akashic Records of any sort? That's a rather esoteric term, so is it used correctly or is it just another 'cool' term the writer came up with for no apparent reason at all? I've seen this used a lot... not that many would notice... but there has to be some reference to it, right? As it is a question of accessing the ARs not having them... but again, that is rather esoteric.. so why use this term? Is this character accessing the ARs? That's a pyschic access, which could be considered 'magical'... just wondering if this is the usual meaningless use of a term or not.

I forget when it gets brought up, but IIRC spoiler[it's a reference to the floating castle in the sky everyone wants to reach that holds unparalleled knowledge about magic - the titular Akashic Records.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:

Not me. Still get distracted by them every time they're on the screen.

With Keijo!!!!!!!! I was easily able to ignore the swimsuits after a short while. Gonna be longer with these, if I ever can.

SkerllyF wrote:
While Tsugumomo at least is getting better as of the latest episode, this one is barely getting decent. I would change this one for the former to be reviewed weekly given that at least the source material is good, but who am I to do that?

Actually, this series had a higher community rating in the Preview Guide (3.3 vs. 3.1), which means that more people had a slightly higher opinion of this one. Not surprising that it got voted in over Tsugumomo, which was hurt by its older-school approach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'm going to be generous for once: I think that the Creeper Instructor was doing that intentionally. He was giving the magical defense test, which requires nerves of steel and concentration. By acting the way he did, *maybe* he was trying to shake the participants' so that they would be more easily affected by his attacks? Mind games, yo! Of course, that's just speculation on my part.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Okay, I know that the count was bad taste, but I for one found it hilarious. Him being a pervert was not what was directly funny, but it was how everyone reacted to him, like the headmaster saying they should fire him, while in context we realise he is sitting next to the queen who is the mother of the girl being harassed. I was at least was laughing through the scene, although that is looking like an unpopular opinion/reaction.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
I will add my vote to the pool of people that wasn't bothered by the count. Was he a perv? No doubt. Did many felt disturbed by him on both sides of the screen? No doubt. But he was a memorable character, unlike "i am going to explode myself" professor or "I hate the MC guts" professor. Seems to me people writing LNs very often think that the only attribute their character personalities have is "coolness level" and forget that in a pool of cool characters they become easily forgettable. So I applaud the author (and Liden Films) for going outside the comfort zone of most writers, seems nowadays it takes guts to do that.

Also, they better show the weightlifting event next episode,I am rooting for you Teresa! *nose exhalation*
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
When I watched the first episode, I thought the main character was hilarious. The first episode worsened my coughing significantly. I do think that the first episode shouldn't have killed the tension of the duel, but it was still humourous.

The 2nd episode beginning being so jarring helped me to hook me on. It was foreshadowed, especially if you saw Fate/Stay Night, but not by a lot. Some people won't like how its jarring, but I thought that it was a nice sensation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6