• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Leos is probably already a druggie compromised by Angel Dust.

Also does anyone else find the post-credit previews to be positively charming?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Leos is probably already a druggie compromised by Angel Dust.

Also does anyone else find the post-credit previews to be positively charming?

They'll have their own show soon enough.
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that the Tulpa power, revealed two things, one, there's more than just spells in the series, so we get some worldbuilding. The other thing is that it reveals that Glenn's The Fool only works on chanted spells. This would be just a bummer for me but the fact that the nature of the Tulpa creation is just... ridiculous and merely feels like it is just a way to give a weakness to Glenn in order to create drama, and that cheapens it and it also pisses me off.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Apparently Tulpa works through alchemy, so I would not be surprised if there is a connection there with Angel Dust. With how Angel Dust works on the mind, and apparently Tulpa is related to a strength of mind and the like, he may have been using it as part of an experiment to create the dangerous magic.

And yes, the post credit previews have heaps of charm where they take a bit of the drama off of the main show and feel like it lets itself just have a bit of fun taking a laugh at itself, and in a manner celebrating their characters in their quirks. Whoever decided to put that into the anime, did make a good decision.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
All I know is that the Tulpa power, revealed two things, one, there's more than just spells in the series, so we get some worldbuilding. The other thing is that it reveals that Glenn's The Fool only works on chanted spells. This would be just a bummer for me but the fact that the nature of the Tulpa creation is just... ridiculous and merely feels like it is just a way to give a weakness to Glenn in order to create drama, and that cheapens it and it also pisses me off.

Well no, he said that wasn't a chanted spell. He also said The Fool won't work because it wasn't magic. He did not say The Fool only works on chanted spells.

I don't think it gives that effect either. The fact that Leo was better at hand to hand already did that because the strategy Glen uses with The Fool is to disable magic and win with martial skill. The series already gave it a big weakness anyway in that it can't negate an existing spell in the very first arc.

I don't think using this opportunity to throw out the idea that summons aren't magic is ridiculous at all. In fact, the timing is pretty good since Glen looked like he would lose before that anyway so the series avoided just having the MC lose because of some fact the viewer couldn't possibly have been expected to know. Instead it used the fact that Glen was already losing to introduce new information about how the world works.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The cheap angle would be to drop that plot at Leos's doorstep, and I hope they don't

I don't think they'll put it all on him, no, since the guy with the granny specs seems to be running the show, whether Leos realizes it or not. I figure his quarterback eye smudges in the carriage were supposed to be indicative of his addiction or whatever control the other guy has over him. They were too blatant (and brown) to just be shadows cast by the moonlight.

So if Glenn "never returned to the Academy after that," does that mean they'll need a new title if there's a second season?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Well, looks like Mr Martin called it in all respects, except for the villain from left field that only was seen (clearly) in the OP prior. And a magical-girl transformation of sorts. I do hope they have a second season where maybe Sistine can get back to the Sky Castle, thought it looks like her days of groping are done (thankfully). I really liked this show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch a whole episode about the travails of attempting to neatly tear off the bottom of a wedding dress like that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought the last episode was a mess. Glenn rescuing Sistine from the wedding was so.. abrupt that I thought it was a dream sequence at first. The whole episode felt like a rushed mess except for the final battle. I felt the same way about the previous arc's finale. Ehh. This show was pretty good for the first, I dunno, 7ish episodes? But after that it started losing steam and this last arc was the worst one. I guess it might be that sticking to a fixed number of episodes per novel leads to these kind of pacing problems.

P.S. That villain dude's gloves were too small for him.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
P.S. That villain dude's gloves were too small for him.

That was on purpose so he could claim he has HUGE hands Anime hyper
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
First, the thing about the hairdo... When Rumia told Sistine that she looked great, I was thinking, "Sorry, girl, but that hairdo isn't doing you any favors at all." So, yeah, I agree with the reviewer completely there.

Since I agree with pretty much every point raised by the reviewer, I'll talk a bit about the series as a whole.

IMO, this series epitomizes a "Decent" rated show. It's good parts surpassed its bad points, but not by a whole lot. One of the bigger problems, as I see it, was how its tone was very inconsistent. At one moment, it's going for comedy, and then some people are killed, often in some gory manner, and people are back to casually joking with one another shortly thereafter. I'm not talking about the psychology involved, but rather the tone of the show at the time. It was just... way too casual about it. Most of the things that happened lacked any real emotional weight, and as a viewer it left me feeling flat, rather than engaged. I think this made the show much less than what it could've been had the pacing and tone been more consistent.

Also, I'm not a big fan of older guys and girls that're still in high school. I understand that this is a Japanese show, and that sort of relationship is (apparently) not quite so verboten there as it is here in the US of A, but it still is something I could do without. It's not a deal-breaker, but it just sits poorly with me.

And maybe I'm a bit played out on the whole, "Person happens to look (and act) conspicuously like a person I once knew (and had a thing for)." I've seen it several times now, and it wasn't something I liked much to begin with. Seeing more of it only makes me like it less. Zoro from One Piece. Rukia from Bleach. Now Glenn from this show. Those are just off the top of my head.

The good things? Well, I liked Glenn in general. I liked the girls, too. The magic system seemed pretty neat and I liked how it was explained to work. Several of the people, both good and bad, did smart things that made sense within the world they are in. I thought that the world-building, while not expansive, was reasonably consistent and compelling. There are some good ideas to work with in the show, but it's a bit frustrating they weren't handled better. This show could've easily made it into Good or even Very Good range if it'd been handled with more aplomb.

I doubt that we'll see a second season of this. But, if we do, I'll watch it. This was a Decent show.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Naturally, Jatice isn't totally defeated at the end because the story still has to bring the Akashic Records into the picture, and Elanor is still up to her own shenanigans, both of which provide solid hooks for any future seasons.

The anime covered 5 out of 8 source Akashic LNs, Vol 8 being the most recent release.
Unfortunately, there's not enough hooks for a 2nd season yet. The mysteries of the Sky Castle, Akashic Records, Divine Wisdom Cult, Jatice and Elanor haven't been addressed in the later books.

For those curious what happens in the next books:
spoiler[Vol 6 - Glenn organises his students to explore the magic dungeons beneath the Academy, using it as the basis of his long-overdue thesis. This volume also explores Celica's backstory - she's an immortal, ageless mage who's lived for centuries, and how her adopting Glenn was what turned her away from despair.

Vol 7 - The Academy is holding a grand school dance, but the Divine Wisdom crashes it for their evil plans again. Glenn's ex-boss, Eve, is introduced.

Vol 8 - Riel is forced to transfer to an all-girls school. Eve orders Glenn, Rumia and Sisti to go undercover there to investigate if any cosnpiracy is involved. Celica uses a potion to turn Glenn into a woman for him to join. The transfer is linked to an elaborate revenge plot, which in turn is connected to the Revive Life Project, the girl Riel as cloned from and the various parties affected.]
[/spoiler]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
I don't want to believe your spoilers because they don't mention rumia getting kidnapped, or is that just implied like in this arc where rumia got "kindapped" to blackmail sistine ?

the 8 novel sounds great, tho.

regarding the whole series, it was ok, maybe good, though I am not sure if it's good for its own merits, or in a manner similar to fanservice series , it's good compared ot it's ecosystem , which in this case is magical school anime.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
it's good compared ot it's ecosystem , which in this case is magical school anime.

This is an entirely fair statement, especially since magical school series have a poor track record in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
That hair style does look pretty awful. I think it may be early to judge Jatice's motivations though because it seems pretty clear that this arc was just his introduction and that he will be coming back.

I don't think the classmates finding them would have been that hard with the big wind based attack that Sistine fired off at the end which seems to be her specialty. I think the bigger question was why they would be running towards what would have clearly been a major battle when they were absolutely terrified a few moments earlier in the church.

I think the series was decent. This last arc getting rushed didn't help, but also I think a lot of these LN based series need a bit to really get you into them as they often share very similar premises. I think that really shoots the series in the foot as far as having a chance at being good when you only get 12 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6