• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
And many of the points brought up here are reasons why I consistently recommended this series to friends of mine before the season started.

There's a lot to like about it, and I personally do think it has a pretty good sense of humour, but that's just me, and I really like how they have handled the progression from episodes 1 to 3.

That said, I do think that they should have sped up the first episode a bit, relying less on making Glenn seem like a total incompetent, and getting into his teaching style a little sooner. It would have allowed for the first episode to be more interesting than it was and make it a more compelling start.

Overall though, I'm looking forward to seeing how far this will be animated (based off of the opening, it's going to get pretty far) and how the story progresses.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I assume I wasn't the only person to be reminded of something when Glenn said he wanted to be a Mage of Justice and flashed back to a pile of swords and dead people.

That being said, I liked the bloody fighting and the OP, since the show was always overtime until now.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I assume I wasn't the only person to be reminded of something when Glenn said he wanted to be a Mage of Justice and flashed back to a pile of swords and dead people.

That being said, I liked the bloody fighting and the OP, since the show was always overtime until now.

You are not talking about Emiya Shiro and Kiristugu, did you Cool Gotta love the mage killer reference

Judging from OP, oh my....they will adapt up to volume 5 of the original novel?!! The pacing is faster than expected, but faster pacing actually serve this show pretty well if ep2-3 is any indication.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

You are not talking about Emiya Shiro and Kiristugu, did you Cool Gotta love the mage killer reference

Judging from OP, oh my....they will adapt up to volume 5 of the original novel?!! The pacing is faster than expected, but faster pacing actually serve this show pretty well if ep2-3 is any indication.

Before I went back and checked, I legit thought he had said Seigi no Mikata..
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
One point about Glenn is that he is not that "OP",his spell 'The Fool' creates a small aoe affect,where unless it is already active magic can not be used.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
The stripper uniform and character designs are by Mishima Kurone, Konosuba's LN illustrator.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Even though I gave the first episode 1.5 stars, I watched the second, which was much improved, and the third, which actually pried a 4 out of me. That feels inflated for what went on, but I can't deny I was entertained throughout, so there ya go. If I can ignore the idiotic girls' uniform, this looks like it could be ok.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The first episode really was a huge mistake; they should have sped through the incompetent parts and ended it where he first shows the kids how the lightning bends with the modified verse. That was the hook for me when I read the manga, where I switched from "eh, I'll give this a read until I get bored" to "I really want to see what develops next!" I just hope the material stays strong now.

One scene I really liked in the anime is where they show Sisty reformulating her spell. The magic circle in her mind changing as she adjusted the parameters was a cool visual that perfectly conveyed the concept.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1-3 Review wrote:
Akashic Records of bastard magic instructor is not the first anime series to openly declare in its title that its protagonist is a complete ass.

While I realize that the english title is also actually on the books, the definitions of rokudenashi and bastard don't actually line up so I don't think that is really fair at all. There are plenty of other examples where the English title given along with the Japanese title don't actually mean the same thing.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I literally face palmed when i saw the OP, seriously haven't they learned from series like campione. Stop dreaming cramming 5 volumes of content into 12 episodes, they cram 1 whole volume on an episode and the remaining episode still felt rush.

Quote:

That said, I do think that they should have sped up the first episode a bit, relying less on making Glenn seem like a total incompetent, and getting into his teaching style a little sooner. It would have allowed for the first episode to be more interesting than it was and make it a more compelling start.

I do agree that the first episode should have been rush a little but not until showing his ability as an educator but rather the cut off point should be at where he explain his thoughts on magic.

Since the whole problem with the first episode for none fans isn't that there's nothing likeable about him (see konosuba) but rather there's is no hook to his personality. It's a problem find with a lot of Japanese anime directors especially if it's an adaptation work, they don't seem to know how to build anticipation or a good cliffhanger.

Yes i know that due to it being an adaptation planning a cut off point is hard due to translating from print medium, but when you have like the first episode of this series or even adaptation from comics whose main shtick is to try to put a cliffhanger at the end of each chapter and they can't even do it just makes me shakes my head.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The first episode really was a mistake. They shouldn't have spent the entire episode showing him to be such a fool and so lazy when that really wasn't to be the direction of the entire show. It's one thing to show that side of his character, and another to fool the entire audience into thinking that was all he had to offer, because then most of us thought that was all the show had to offer.

After watching three episodes, I find myself looking forward to this as much as any of the good shows this season. I'm enjoying the humor and the fighting and I'm also enjoying the relationship that James mentioned between the teacher and students. It's refreshing to see him respecting them and using their talents but not constantly leering at them despite the ridiculous uniforms. I hope that relationship continues.
Kamui97

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
If episode 1 was all sh*t, there's been about 2.5 minutes of garbage since then. Those outfits will never go away and it still has a few issues with humor, but the show turning out exactly as I expected. A very pleasant surprise after the initial stinker.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:

I do agree that the first episode should have been rush a little but not until showing his ability as an educator but rather the cut off point should be at where he explain his thoughts on magic.

Since the whole problem with the first episode for none fans isn't that there's nothing likeable about him (see konosuba) but rather there's is no hook to his personality. It's a problem find with a lot of Japanese anime directors especially if it's an adaptation work, they don't seem to know how to build anticipation or a good cliffhanger.

Yes i know that due to it being an adaptation planning a cut off point is hard due to translating from print medium, but when you have like the first episode of this series or even adaptation from comics whose main shtick is to try to put a cliffhanger at the end of each chapter and they can't even do it just makes me shakes my head.

The flaws that many anime directors have when it comes to adaptations is something I could go on about for hours. There are so many series based off of manga or light novels that could have benefited from diverging or literally adapting situations (I point to how Magi cut the content from the first chapter of the manga and jumped right into Aladdin meeting Alibaba in the first episode as a good example of this).

For example, Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle spoiler[would have benefited greatly from some more foreshadowing towards Philuffy's mutation instead of suddenly introducing it in the arc it becomes important in.]

So yeah, it is disappointing that this series didn't manage to adapt its first episode in a way that made Glenn stand out as a compelling protagonist (the way I should have worded my phrase instead of "likable").
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even though I gave the first episode 1.5 stars, I watched the second, which was much improved, and the third, which actually pried a 4 out of me. That feels inflated for what went on, but I can't deny I was entertained throughout, so there ya go. If I can ignore the idiotic girls' uniform, this looks like it could be ok.

yeah, it's similar for me, I know that the series is a 3, but something about it makes so entertaining I can't help but feel it as a 4.

GarethXL wrote:

tht's what sold the series for me, since I like physics and his thoughts were almost a lecture of theoretical physics vs appied physics, and that extends beautifully to modifying magic ins etad of just memorizing magic that alreayd exists (i.e., make new physics theories instead of just memorizing the current physics theories)
GarethXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

GarethXL wrote:

tht's what sold the series for me, since I like physics and his thoughts were almost a lecture of theoretical physics vs appied physics, and that extends beautifully to modifying magic ins etad of just memorizing magic that alreayd exists (i.e., make new physics theories instead of just memorizing the current physics theories)

Yeah if they are making a double episode yeah that would be great but for a single episode no, since they would have to cut even more content then what they have already done. I was actually referring to his thoughts on magic as nothing more then a tool for killing, which should've been able to hook in those that hate or drop the series after watching the first episode.

If they manage to just find a way to squeeze in that 2 and a half minutes in to the first episode i doubt it wouldn't have gain so much negative review from people since there isn't anything for the viewers to be invested in the first ep, we only know from the original cut is that

1. Glen a slacker, unmotivated neet who's a mediocre mage and a failure as a human being
2. Sistine is a noble with a huge stuck up her ass
3. Rumia is cute and best waifu for the season spoiler[who will be dethrone by chariot-chan]

Other then that we didn't get anything else to explain our flesh out the characters, hell as shit of a series asswar is they at least gave us some back story on the motivations for some of the characters in is first ep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6