• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to lose hope that the show is ever going to solve its issues with emotional tension at key points. Episode 6 had a lot of heavy-hitting revelations, but the show's execution took a bit of the punch out of them. It wasn't terrible execution this episode, it just wasn't particularly good execution either. I think the pacing was partly to blame, as a lot of things in this episode felt a bit too hasty. Throwing a haymaker requires the proper wind-up and follow-through, but some of the big emotional moments in this episode were delivered like quick jabs, one after another. They still connect, but not with nearly as much force as they could have. There's nothing wrong with quick jabs, and if minor moments in the show were handled that way it would be fine. But if you're going for the big knockout punch on viewer's hearts, quick little jabs just don't cut it emotionally.

And that kind of sums up how the show appears like it might be overall: having fantastic potential that stills connects somewhat, but taking the wind out of its own sails too often and not connecting on as much of the potential as it could have. The show's still decent/good, but should have been great given the fantastic bones the series has thematically/emotionally. And that's kind of disappointing. A student who consistently gets B's is a good student, but if they had the potential to consistently get A's, it's kind of a letdown.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
^
That's pretty much how I feel about the show. I've deliberately put myself in a headspace where I don't dwell on the show's flaws because the emotional aspects are landing with me. I knew from the start the show was designed to break my heart, that's what I signed on for and I feel pretty confident that will be delivered.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Ok the arguing can stop now please. Your baiting and strawman arguments ChibiKangaroo can also stop. You have shown a constant habit of twisting other people's words to further your own opinions, and baiting people to continue arguments. The rest of you need to also not rise to said bait and simply report users. So I suggest everyone keep it civil and stay on the topic of the show itself, minus the bait and misrepresentation of other people's opinions. Thank you.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
^
It seemed like the argument was over already. Its kinda weird how mods appear after people said they were disengaging on a topic, and throw in pot shots at either side (which ironically doesn't seem very "civil"), but this isn't the first time that's happened. Also, it's funny since my last comment was an olive branch of saying that my criticisms of the show should be taken in the context of criticisms that I often have of other shows, but okay, you've shown that you can take shots. Cool.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Disengaging or dropping a topic does not mean continuously leaving bait posts for others to pick up and walk with to continue the argument. Neither is twisting other people's words and opinions. That's also hardly an olive branch either. Telling you to stop doing that, and others to respond in kind so they don't make it worse themselves, is not "taking shots" at anyone. It's called a moderator enforcing the rules. Anytime a mod has to step in regarding you/your posts however you do this routine where you're the victim and never doing anything wrong. Either everyone can debate the show civilly and without twisting other people's words and baiting them or not. That's all I have to say on that topic.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
I don't know about anyone else but I felt that the most jarring part about Ebon Candle was the fact that his head moved so drastically whenever he talked. His comedy elements would have gelled a lot better if the head didn't move and just had an evil menacing look with a voice coming out. Like Ains Ool Gown style from Overlord.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I felt that the most jarring part about Ebon Candle was the fact that his head moved so drastically whenever he talked. His comedy elements would have gelled a lot better if the head didn't move and just had an evil menacing look with a voice coming out. Like Ains Ool Gown style from Overlord.

I think think the director was trying to show that Ebon Candle was not evil,through the comedic banter,felt Suwon's attempts to come off as the same old/young guy went overly long though and poorly directed.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:

I think think the director was trying to show that Ebon Candle was not evil,through the comedic banter,felt Suwon's attempts to come off as the same old/young guy went overly long though and poorly directed.

Not sure where the poor direction criticism is coming from. I got the same feeling on how Childish Suwong was in the anime as he was in the LN easily.

You have to remember that LN's don't have the advantage of being able to show off emotions visually compared to anime.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Not sure where the poor direction criticism is coming from. I got the same feeling on how Childish Suwong was in the anime as he was in the LN easily.

You have to remember that LN's don't have the advantage of being able to show off emotions visually compared to anime.

I share the same opinion as a few others over another site(seen ya about),Suwon's actor came off as too carefree,and overall folks need to read 3 lines in between what is aired.
And not talking about hand holding exposition-

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Wed May 24, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
New ep, and chtholly getting red hair is definitely a major red flag.

Which the reviewer, again, completely glosses over for no reason.....
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote

He mentioned it in the second sentence of the review. And the first sentence too. It's how the review starts.

EDIT: He also comments on it later, saying how it's probably a related to Ctholly's encounter with Elq, and how it almost certainly won't be the last consequence of that encounter so... I'm really at a loss here as to what you want him to say.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Edit: Should start off saying I enjoyed the episode

" major red flag." Nice pun, but lest folks forget episode 1 has already raised that flag.
And the review of this episode's first two paragraphs are on her hair turning red.

The reviewer is picking up on what he has been given,majority of viewers are only going pick up on what is aired,not on the missing lines in between scenes.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
"Hey guys we got a good episode last week and we started making some good headway into differentiating our show from most generic fantasy. So you know what we need to do this week; double down on the generic rom-com aspect that is absolutely uninteresting and uninspired, yay!"

Why? Just why? This episode could easily have been cut down to 10 minutes and it would have been made better for it.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
@meiam

"double down on the generic rom-com aspect "

Honestly going to ask,what part of the story do you see as romance-comedy?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
"Hey guys we got a good episode last week and we started making some good headway into differentiating our show from most generic fantasy. So you know what we need to do this week; double down on the generic rom-com aspect that is absolutely uninteresting and uninspired, yay!"

Why? Just why? This episode could easily have been cut down to 10 minutes and it would have been made better for it.

I don't think you know what Rom-Com is.

Nothing comedic about the romance in the series at all aside from some beginning aspects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 21