• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 was easily the best episode of the series so far. Now to prepare myself for the gut-punch finale!
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
The adaption is just such a mess,good story, but how the author decided to leave people thinking that about the war,boggling.
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I assume the light novel is still unlicensed and only available in Japan or fan-translations? I couldn't find it officially available under any of it's possible names.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The author might have done what he did on purpose to make the inevitable season 2 all the bigger a gut punch (Vol 4 and 5).

The "Distractions and Detours" are the whole point of the build up to this, Paul.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Eh, this show is a disappointment to me. It's basically just a romance and not a particularly compelling one, imo, with some light comedy thrown in and the occasional glimpse of darker happenings.

It's SAO with less badass-ery and more sappy romance. That's how I'd sort of sum up the feel of this show. Wilhelm is basically Kirito but with less physical prowess and less chivalry. Blue hair girl is Asuna but more fragile. Instead of Yui, we have a gaggle of small girls, and instead of Klein and Agil, we have more cute girls to add to Kirito's own sizable following of cute girls. This show probably has some more ideas introduced than SAO, but SAO had better consistent execution, especially early on. In a comparison between Wilhelm and Kirito though, Kirito is better husbando.

That comparison is so wrong I don't even know where to begin with it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Wilhelm gives off that same vibe as Kirito to me. Smug, over-confident, dark haired ladies man who is sort of mysteriously amazing at everything, wearing a dark stylish uniform and struggling with expressing himself. Certainly there are differences between the shows, but I think Wilhelm was written to have very similar appeal. Though like I said, I do think SAO deliberately made Kirito more chivalrous to increase his charm factor more. Wilhelm doesn't have that to the same extent.

I should maybe do a more in depth comparison between the shows at some point.

(edit) As I was looking for images of both Wilhelm and Kirito for comparison purposes, I saw that there are dakimakura of Kirito?? What I have seen, can never be unseen.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
The author might have done what he did on purpose to make the inevitable season 2 all the bigger a gut punch (Vol 4 and 5).

The "Distractions and Detours" are the whole point of the build up to this, Paul.

What makes you feel so strongly in an "inevitable season 2"?,has this been a ratings success in Japan?

Much of the heart of a second season was condensed into this episode and spoiler[ I suspect Almaria will make her appearance, ala v 1 ch 5].Which would also further lesson the impact of a second season.

Or do you see an OVA being made?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Wilhelm gives off that same vibe as Kirito to me. Smug, over-confident, dark haired ladies man who is sort of mysteriously amazing at everything, wearing a dark stylish uniform and struggling with expressing himself. Certainly there are differences between the shows, but I think Wilhelm was written to have very similar appeal. Though like I said, I do think SAO deliberately made Kirito more chivalrous to increase his charm factor more. Wilhelm doesn't have that to the same extent.

I should maybe do a more in depth comparison between the shows at some point.

Willem is another type of MC: modest vs smug,levelheaded vs overconfident; not so "much struggling with expressing himself" as he's just totally clueless/oblivious when it comes to women flirting with him(hence those attracted to him end up calling him a moron).

(peruse the novel first and then binge watch all 12 episodes then compare this to SAO)
(SAO being the better adaption)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
^
I never read SAO, just watched the show, though I imagine if I had read it I am assuming I would agree about it being a better adaptation. As much as I've knocked SAO in the past, the first several episodes were riveting. I was hooked just like pretty much everyone else. I did have serious problems with the ending, but I can't deny that they got me. They haven't been able to achieve the same level of "hooking" here, though maybe the LN for SukaSuka does a better job of keeping you in its grasp?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I was hooked on this show from its very first episode.

Can't say the same for SAO.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
I assume the light novel is still unlicensed and only available in Japan or fan-translations? I couldn't find it officially available under any of it's possible names.

which is ashame considering it does have potential . while it wont be in the same league as aldermain of the sky which definitely should be considered in the anime of the year category , this series can get at least close if it doesnt fall under its own weight as say with horizon or IS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Wilhelm gives off that same vibe as Kirito to me. Smug, over-confident, dark haired ladies man who is sort of mysteriously amazing at everything, wearing a dark stylish uniform and struggling with expressing himself.

Actually, I never perceived Kirito as being smug and over-confident, nor do I see Wilhem that way. I certainly don't sense Wilhem is "amazing at everything." In fact, especially earlier in the series, the show was at pains to show he was basically a handmaiden.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Wilhelm gives off that same vibe as Kirito to me. Smug, over-confident, dark haired ladies man who is sort of mysteriously amazing at everything, wearing a dark stylish uniform and struggling with expressing himself.

Actually, I never perceived Kirito as being smug and over-confident, nor do I see Wilhem that way. I certainly don't sense Wilhem is "amazing at everything." In fact, especially earlier in the series, the show was at pains to show he was basically a handmaiden.

I thought that too at first, but when they had that episode of him flicking coins with enough speed and power to literally knock people over, I was like ok this is some Kirito / Hunter X Hunter level power. Thus far I think about the only restriction they've placed on Wilhelm is that he sustained so much damage while fighting and defeating god-like beings that he just can't sustain a lengthy battle anymore, but he's still enough of a bad ass to easily best Ctholly in battle while barely trying, using weapons meant for her and which she has trained at her entire life.

I agree they haven't put him on the front lines so to speak, but his "jack of all trades" power level seems similar to Kirito's.

I suppose neither of them is so smug to be like a jerk, but both are extremely sure of themselves when it comes to their abilities (as they should be, frankly, they are both written as exceptional human beings.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I would agree that the depiction of Wilhelm's powers has been inconsistent. As you say, we've seen examples of where he is obviously extremely powerful and then other situations where he seems kind of useless. With Kirito, it was hard to imagine any situation he wouldn't come out on top of ... with Wilhelm, I can imagine him being in a situation where he would not prevail. But yeah, there is a definite murkiness in how the show depicts his overall power.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood&ChibiKangaroo

The focus of the anime is meant to be on Chtholly,yet in the novel it is on Willem.
With much of Willem's story being pruned to reflect this decision, little was done to truly alter/re-write the parts of the story these cuts impacted upon.

Oh and Willem is a jack-of-all trades for a very selfless reason,spoiler[Lilya].

The story line following Willem's past is what I found to be the strongest in the novel, "the hook" as you put itCK.

The author's anime adaption of his novel is telling a good pulpish LN story,but it is a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21