• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I won't comment on the other things until I see them, but seriously, I don't care what the context is for a naked back massage UNLESS you are going to a professional masseuse. In any other scenario that is at least a tantalizing sexual scene. The only way the guy gets "kudos" for that is in his ability to score.

She was wearing a nightgown, so she wasn't naked, though he did open the back. During the massage itself, you can only see her back and her feet (in separate shots). I do think the moaning did seem sexual, but visually I can see why some might not think of it as fanservice (though like Nordhmmer said that is in the eye of the beholder).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
If she was wearing something it makes a slight difference, though a friendly massage doesn't require anything to be opened. Direct contact either implies sexuality or professionalism. Since I haven't seen anything about this guy working as a professional masseuse, I think we know whats going on (especially if she was moaning. Come on people Smile )
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
... She was moaning the entire time and it finished with what can only be described as her cumming. It was definitely sexualized (not to mention I doubt this poison will ever be referred again, unless its for another fan service scene).

You're free to see it as sexualized because you, yourself, saw it as such. As someone who watches an extreme amount of fan-service centered shows, to me it wasn't tantalizing in the slightest. Not even a little bit. So to me, a fan, it wasn't service.

That's why I said it depends on the individual though, everyone will see the scene differently. But the fact that the MC disregards the entire interaction as anything romantic and does not illicit any reaction in him whatsoever, means that to the MC it was purely platonic. Not sexual, not arousing, not exciting, just business taking out a "poison". (Totally agree though that I doubt the poison gets referred to again, though it would be nice to get more information)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

That's why I said it depends on the individual though, everyone will see the scene differently. But the fact that the MC disregards the entire interaction as anything romantic and does not illicit any reaction in him whatsoever, means that to the MC it was purely platonic. Not sexual, not arousing, not exciting, just business taking out a "poison". (Totally agree though that I doubt the poison gets referred to again, though it would be nice to get more information)

If you have watched a lot of these shows, then you know that it is totally normal for a MC to act indifferent or show little reaction to tantalizing things happening on screen. There's two types of MC in this scenario. The pervert or the "innocent." Both types work as a self insert, but the "innocent" has wider appeal for obvious reasons. In that context, it is more clear that the service is for the audiences benefit and not the MCs also, since his lack of reaction doesn't get in the way or distract from what is being served up. (This is why voyeur shots make sense. Only the audience sees it. The MC usually doesnt.)
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
If you have watched a lot of these shows, then you know that it is totally normal for a MC to act indifferent or show little reaction to tantalizing things happening on screen. There's two types of MC in this scenario. The pervert or the "innocent." Both types work as a self insert, but the "innocent" has wider appeal for obvious reasons. In that context, it is more clear that the service is for the audiences benefit and not the MCs also, since his lack of reaction doesn't get in the way or distract from what is being served up. (This is why voyeur shots make sense. Only the audience sees it. The MC usually doesnt.)

A typical "Innocent" MC would have reacted completely differently (Rito from TLR is the typical innocent harem protag.) They would have gotten extremely embarrassed, would refrain from touching the girl, or would have been completely overwhelmed after he touched the bare skin at all. Which was the whole point I was bringing up. Sure you might consider the situation here is as self-insert, but if you're self-inserting here that means you want to have relations with the presented character. (Otherwise it would make absolutely zero sense to self insert.) But the MC here doesn't react in the way that you (the self-inserter) would react at all, bearing no sexual nor romantic reaction to the girl, thus killing his potential as a self-insert MC.

As I stated before, the shots in the massage scene weren't voyeuristic to me, as the framing was in no way arousing to me as an individual. The shots of the girls in their loungewear were much more voyeuristic in that sense.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually the potential for self insert is greater with no reaction. It is easier to insert when you get to decide the reaction rather than the person who animated the scene. This is the primary purpose of the self insert, and is why they usually have bland or unassuming personas. The idea is that you get to imbue them with your own persona.

I agree that often an innocent MC will blush in this situation, but it is not required by any means. There are many situations where the MC will act as if nothing happened, which is really the ultimate sign of innocence, since blushing indicates knowledge that something naughty was going on and perhaps MC just pretends or plays at not liking it.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

As I stated before, the shots in the massage scene weren't voyeuristic to me, as the framing was in no way arousing to me as an individual. The shots of the girls in their loungewear were much more voyeuristic in that sense.

My problem with that scene wasn't so much the shots but the moaning. I'm pretty sure people usually don't make noises like that when receiving a medical massage. The MC's technique must be phenomenal, or maybe it was the effect of that particularly ominous poison? Rolling Eyes

Unnecessary fanservice aside, i'm curious enough about the characters and their world to keep watching for now.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
If she was wearing something it makes a slight difference, though a friendly massage doesn't require anything to be opened. Direct contact either implies sexuality or professionalism. Since I haven't seen anything about this guy working as a professional masseuse, I think we know whats going on (especially if she was moaning. Come on people Smile )

The LN has the luxury to explain the thoughts and actions of it's characters, whereas an adaptation usually is forced to cut such things.

And since this will not be in the anime this will not be a spoiler-
Willhem learned from a combat medic on how to treat venom(magic) poisoning, he applied ,well, pressure to ten pressure points. This released the poisoned venom,Kutori feeling relaxed&relieved quickly feel asleep.

As I've stated the anime's portrayal was not in keeping with the tone and story of the LN.to me at least, then again maybe I'am just an old fogey lol.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

The LN has the luxury to explain the thoughts and actions of it's characters, whereas an adaptation usually is forced to cut such things.

And since this will not be in the anime this will not be a spoiler-
Willhem learned from a combat medic on how to treat venom(magic) poisoning, he applied ,well, pressure to ten pressure points. This released the poisoned venom,Kutori feeling relaxed&relieved quickly feel asleep.

As I've stated the anime's portrayal was not in keeping with the tone and story of the LN.to me at least, then again maybe I'am just an old fogey lol.

This would be useful info if they put it in the anime. That being said, I expect they still would have played up the sexual nature. I remember when I was commenting on this show in the preview guide and I told Theron I have low expectations for the maturity level of the anime writers many times. This is the type of thing that proves me right.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This would be useful info if they put it in the anime. That being said, I expect they still would have played up the sexual nature. I remember when I was commenting on this show in the preview guide and I told Theron I have low expectations for the maturity level of the anime writers many times. This is the type of thing that proves me right.

That doesn't prove your assumption in the slightest. All it proves is that you have given yourself the authority to judge what is "mature" or "immature" based on your self established moral high ground. You got backlash in the preview guide for the exact same reason, you say inflammatory comments as fact based on your preference, claiming anyone else who says differently to be wrong.

I agree with you that they should have added that in the anime version of that scene though, because it would have given us more context to Willem as a character, which is never a bad thing. But dismissing the narrative as immature because it contains content that you find objectionable is hypocrisy at its' finest.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

That doesn't prove your assumption in the slightest. All it proves is that you have given yourself the authority to judge what is "mature" or "immature" based on your self established moral high ground. You got backlash in the preview guide for the exact same reason, you say inflammatory comments as fact based on your preference, claiming anyone else who says differently to be wrong.

I agree with you that they should have added that in the anime version of that scene though, because it would have given us more context to Willem as a character, which is never a bad thing. But dismissing the narrative as immature because it contains content that you find objectionable is hypocrisy at its' finest.

I think it is objectively immature in this instance to modify a scene from the source material to the anime to make it into fanservice when that wasn't the original intention of the LN author, yes. It doesnt mean I don't like fanservice. You have no idea of the things I like. What it does mean is that someone made a decision to go for low hanging fruit, and "sleaze things up a bit" because sexy times sell, rather than anything to do with the story from the LN. Yes, I find that immature. And I was getting pushback in the preview thread because people were adamantly stating that the anime was NOT going to play up the sexual stuff. Granted, they could have gone much further, but still I think it is an example of why my low expectations are justified.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
They did put it into the anime. It may not have been spelled out as explicitly as in the LN, but it seemed totally clear to me that it was a kind of expertise he'd picked up from being involved in these things in his previous life.

I'm not arguing it's not fanservice, but at least watch the show if you're going to complain about the way it's done.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
They did put it into the anime. It may not have been spelled out as explicitly as in the LN, but it seemed totally clear to me that it was a kind of expertise he'd picked up from being involved in these things in his previous life.

I'm not arguing it's not fanservice, but at least watch the show if you're going to complain about the way it's done.

I have been watching the show. If you're not arguing that it's not fanservice, I'm not sure what was your point. I think its good if there is context provided for him giving a massage at all, but it doesn't change whether it was sexed up for the anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
And I was getting pushback in the preview thread because people were adamantly stating that the anime was NOT going to play up the sexual stuff. Granted, they could have gone much further, but still I think it is an example of why my low expectations are justified.

No, people were pushing back against you stretching the definition of harem to apply that label to the show. If anyone was denying things would go in a sexual direction it was pertaining to the small children among the group, which you were trying to say were members of a harem (not that you argued the small children would be exploited that way). I don't believe anyone doubted that they could explore romantic or fanservice angles with Chtholly. While the fanservice may have been played up in the massage scene compared to the novel, I doubt it was against the intention of the author, given they are in charge of writing the anime.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

No, people were pushing back against you stretching the definition of harem to apply that label to the show. If anyone was denying things would go in a sexual direction it was pertaining to the small children among the group, which you were trying to say were members of a harem (not that you argued the small children would be exploited that way). I don't believe anyone doubted that they could explore romantic or fanservice angles with Chtholly. While the fanservice may have been played up in the massage scene compared to the novel, I doubt it was against the intention of the author, given they are in charge of writing the anime.

There was pushback on both points. People were indicating that this show wouldn't partake in Rom/Com tropes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21