• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
vonPeter, I'm not accusing them of using unofficial titles. I'm accusing them of incompetence.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, "wiht" is a variant spelling of "wyte" or "wight" which is another term for wraith, and "enmet" is an Old English word for a plain or open space (as after deforestation), and I guess if you live on a floating island, the barren world below would be like a plain. In Rohan in the Lord of the Rings there were the districts of Eastemnet and Westemnet, so the translators probably thought they were being clever.

That's an explanation, not a defense, as I think it's pretty stupid too. Smile

That does at least explain where it came from so thank you for the explanation.

However, like you said, it doesn't justify it at all. They took a word with a very clear meaning and replaced it with a made up Old English inspired word that almost nobody is going to have any clue what it means. To make it even worse, they had to rewrite the context of the line so that the character corrects himself which pretty clearly shows that whoever came up with that absolutely knew essentially nobody was going to know what it meant.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
vonPeter, I'm not accusing them of using unofficial titles. I'm accusing them of incompetence.
Oops, looks like I misremembered. For some reason I thought that the English episode titles had appeared on screen as part of the full original titles (like the German episode titles in Izetta: The Last Witch), but the official website only lists the episode titles in Japanese, and looking through the episode again showed that the English ones are only on screen when the English subs are on. Now I'm wondering why someone felt the need to indicate those English episode titles in the article on Japanese Wikipedia; maybe those English phrases have some significance in the original novel or something?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
They took a word with a very clear meaning and replaced it with a made up Old English inspired word that almost nobody is going to have any clue what it means.

What I find problematic about it is that it doesn't work well with subtitles. In reading a novel, you can pause to take in the word, but it's so unfamiliar that even people who speed read would have to pause the video to grasp its construction/pronunciation. If you need to use an unfamiliar word for its nuance or lack of a substitute, then use it, but if not, then pick words that can be easily read and understood on the fly.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Oops, looks like I misremembered. For some reason I thought that the English episode titles had appeared on screen as part of the full original titles (like the German episode titles in Izetta: The Last Witch), but the official website only lists the episode titles in Japanese, and looking through the episode again showed that the English ones are only on screen when the English subs are on. Now I'm wondering why someone felt the need to indicate those English episode titles in the article on Japanese Wikipedia; maybe those English phrases have some significance in the original novel or something?
Never mind, I was just watching this week's episode and saw where those English titles appear: in the eyecatches. That does make them a feature of the original work and not an invention of the translators. I guess one could question the decision to use them as the official English episode titles without even acknowledging the Japanese ones, but I'm not sure how this can be described as "incompetence".
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I find problematic about it is that it doesn't work well with subtitles. In reading a novel, you can pause to take in the word, but it's so unfamiliar that even people who speed read would have to pause the video to grasp its construction/pronunciation. If you need to use an unfamiliar word for its nuance or lack of a substitute, then use it, but if not, then pick words that can be easily read and understood on the fly.

I don't even know how to spell the word, I only remember that it starts with an E and probably has a W somewhere in the middle. That's how I recognize the word but I might get confused if the word got used in context that isn't about races or Willem (the E word with a W in the middle meant humans, right?)
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tonal inconsistency is also an issue.

Yeah, no. Tone's fine. Pacing may be going a bit too quick to make impact (Black Bullet flashbacks intensify) and directing could use some close-ups but I haven't had one problem with the tone.

Last edited by Morry on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Not seeing the tonal inconsistency myself, as well. If anything, the light hearted tone to start makes the tragedy later on all the more worse, imo.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
However, like you said, it doesn't justify it at all. They took a word with a very clear meaning and replaced it with a made up Old English inspired word that almost nobody is going to have any clue what it means.

Blame the producers: http://sukasuka-anime.com/chara/willem.html
And the author: http://kareno.moo.jp/works/sukasuka/materialNoteForRevealation.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I really wish they would drop any hint of romance and just double down on the mentor side, as a romance it's just one in a millions generic fantasy. But mentor MC are pretty rare and could lead to interesting stuff.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah I really wish they would drop any hint of romance and just double down on the mentor side, as a romance it's just one in a millions generic fantasy. But mentor MC are pretty rare and could lead to interesting stuff.

NO!!!

They need to get married. >:I

Fight me.

Besides, this anime is listed as romance as a sub-genre.
Quote:
Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?
終末なにしてますか?忙しいですか?救ってもらっていいですか?

Drama Fantasy Romance Sci-Fi

Boom, there it is. So don't wish for stupid things like for it to stop being what it is. If you don't like romance, you shouldn't have chose to watch it. I do, that is the reason I decided to research the series and then chose to watch it.

Merida wrote:
My problem with that scene wasn't so much the shots but the moaning. I'm pretty sure people usually don't make noises like that when receiving a medical massage.

She was moaning because it HURT. xD Come on, have you never been massaged before?

You WILL moan.....whether from pain or pleasure, unless you have a very high tolerance for being touched like that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
One thing that hasn't gotten old for me is the stampeding herd of children. If they threw one of those in every episode, I'd probably still laugh at it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
I agree that the episode was particularly off as far as the tonal inconsistency. This was mainly due to the fact that they kept injecting the rom-com tropes that were distracting from their attempts to set up a potentially serious and emotional challenge for blue haired girl to survive the coming battle.

We already had the exact same sexy-time jokes in the last episode, and they get retread here for reasons that we can only assume have to do with the writers' desire to reinforce the rom-com nature of the show. Blue haired girl spends a bunch of time at the start of the episode reliving the sex-massage that the MC gave her last episode and her moaning/orgasm, and much heavy blushing and squealing ensues. She asks our nameless horde of little girls what happened to MC, and they innocently inform her that he is "sleeping with" one of the other girls (silver haired girl this time), and she goes into a fit of jealousy and runs over there to find out what he's up to. Later, orange haired girl once again (and seemingly totally out of the blue) states that maybe the MC is sexually interested in the younger girls in the warehouse. Then towards the end, blue haired girl indicates that she wants to marry the MC.

I think at this point, even Theron would have a hard time denying that this series is within an inch of being a full blown harem romantic comedy. Another episode like this would confirm that. I mean, the last two episodes have devoted significant screen time to the MC being teased by the girls about his sexuality or giving a sexual massage to his primary love interest that included plenty of fanservice shots of her half naked body, or MC being sexually preyed upon by troll girl, or lingering shots of the various young teen girls in their lingere talking about MC as a potential romantic interest.

These elements have bogged down the sci-fi elements and any emotional depth that we could have already set up for the battle that could end blue haired girl's life. I feel like we should be connecting with her more on a personal level and learning more about her relationship with her peers and her philosophical understanding of her place in the world. Instead, most of the episode's content has revolved around her potential romance with MC.

They also haven't yet fixed the problem wherein the younger girls are basically one big blob that moves about from room to room with no real distinctions for individual characters. This episode, I even noticed that it seemed like the animators had simply copied and pasted one particular green haired girl to make two girls. If that's the level of care they are putting toward the "gaggle," I think its probably clear that they don't serve much of a purpose other than as background.

I did like the scene where MC was doing "maintenance" on blue haired girl's weapon. It was a creative and pretty magical scene and (aside from the quasi marriage proposal) was the one time during the episode where the tone was spot on. Also, I did like the scene between blue haired girl and lizard guy. It was good to see some interaction between one of the girls and someone other than MC, since I think the show was starting to get unnecessarily insular with its focus on the warehouse and that doesn't make sense to me as there seems to be a pretty amazing fantasy world that has been set up here. It would be a waste to not see the characters exploring that more and interacting with some of these various creatures inhabiting that world.
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
I like this show so far, not love but like, but what the hell is with the names in this show???
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
^^ Way to go far too in depth with something that onto happened for 2 minutes.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
meiam wrote:Yeah I really wish they would drop any hint of romance and just double down on the mentor side, as a romance it's just one in a millions generic fantasy. But mentor MC are pretty rare and could lead to interesting stuff

Yes the anime would be far better if the adaption had stayed closer to the LN,where it is clear Willem only has an strict adult teacher/caregiver relation with the girls.

[quote]Chiibi "Drama Fantasy Romance Sci-Fi"-
Boom, there it is. So don't wish for stupid things like for it to stop being what it is. If you don't like romance, you shouldn't have chose to watch it. I do, that is the reason I decided to research the series and then chose to watch it[/quote]

I agree with meiam-Willem's role as a mentor to the girls should have been played up and not muddied by the out of place and added fanservice.

The anime's is leaving out far too much exposition at this point in my view,the pacing is oh so very fast at this point.
The girls are cutoff from interacting with normal people-thus resorted to reading copious amounts of romance&fantasy novels and the watching of sappy soap operas.It is from those sources the girls make their sometimes out of place remarks on relationships.

[/quote] Chiibi She was moaning because it HURT. xD Come on, have you never been massaged before?
You WILL moan.....whether from pain or pleasure, unless you have a very high tolerance for being touched like that[quote]

That was a blatant addition of fanservice on the part of the anime's director, my two cents as a reader of the LN, and totally out of place in sukasuka's story.

The LN does not discribe Kutori moaning "ahh" in such a suggestive manner-the anime goes so far as to cut to black as Kutori lets out a very sexual "AHH",at the same time portraying release of poisoned venom as the glow of sexual contentment.

Edit:Well I fail at using the quote feature,think all can agree on that much of my rant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 21