• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
^^ Way to go far too in depth with something that onto happened for 2 minutes.

The added fan service,however mild one perceives it, is indeed out of place given the story as a whole.

Overall the anime's lack of depth due to it's pacing-seems to be only lightly touching upon important aspects of the story,mind I'am biased having read the LN.
Quite a bit of the whys and what-nots are being left out,granted it is an adaption and the LN author is on the writing staff.

Hopefully the anime will slow down now and tell more of the story,the first volume being the shortest (episode 3 finished off vol 1).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I agree that the episode was particularly off as far as the tonal inconsistency. This was mainly due to the fact that they kept injecting the rom-com tropes that were distracting from their attempts to set up a potentially serious and emotional challenge for blue haired girl to survive the coming battle.

We already had the exact same sexy-time jokes in the last episode, and they get retread here for reasons that we can only assume have to do with the writers' desire to reinforce the rom-com nature of the show. Blue haired girl spends a bunch of time at the start of the episode reliving the sex-massage that the MC gave her last episode and her moaning/orgasm, and much heavy blushing and squealing ensues. She asks our nameless horde of little girls what happened to MC, and they innocently inform her that he is "sleeping with" one of the other girls (silver haired girl this time), and she goes into a fit of jealousy and runs over there to find out what he's up to. Later, orange haired girl once again (and seemingly totally out of the blue) states that maybe the MC is sexually interested in the younger girls in the warehouse. Then towards the end, blue haired girl indicates that she wants to marry the MC.

I think at this point, even Theron would have a hard time denying that this series is within an inch of being a full blown harem romantic comedy. Another episode like this would confirm that. I mean, the last two episodes have devoted significant screen time to the MC being teased by the girls about his sexuality or giving a sexual massage to his primary love interest that included plenty of fanservice shots of her half naked body, or MC being sexually preyed upon by troll girl, or lingering shots of the various young teen girls in their lingere talking about MC as a potential romantic interest.

These elements have bogged down the sci-fi elements and any emotional depth that we could have already set up for the battle that could end blue haired girl's life. I feel like we should be connecting with her more on a personal level and learning more about her relationship with her peers and her philosophical understanding of her place in the world. Instead, most of the episode's content has revolved around her potential romance with MC.

They also haven't yet fixed the problem wherein the younger girls are basically one big blob that moves about from room to room with no real distinctions for individual characters. This episode, I even noticed that it seemed like the animators had simply copied and pasted one particular green haired girl to make two girls. If that's the level of care they are putting toward the "gaggle," I think its probably clear that they don't serve much of a purpose other than as background.

I did like the scene where MC was doing "maintenance" on blue haired girl's weapon. It was a creative and pretty magical scene and (aside from the quasi marriage proposal) was the one time during the episode where the tone was spot on. Also, I did like the scene between blue haired girl and lizard guy. It was good to see some interaction between one of the girls and someone other than MC, since I think the show was starting to get unnecessarily insular with its focus on the warehouse and that doesn't make sense to me as there seems to be a pretty amazing fantasy world that has been set up here. It would be a waste to not see the characters exploring that more and interacting with some of these various creatures inhabiting that world.

While it does have rom com aspects, I don't see this being a romantic comedy going forward. You can say significant airtime was given to such things, but I dare say between the scenes you mentioned you liked and the sparring scene between Willem and Chtholly, more time was devoted to other things. It's clearly going to be a tragic story-with some (non-comedic) romance-so I expect much of any rom-com aspects to fall away as it moves forward. I will agree with Paul that the upcoming battle will make or break the show.

I continue to think calling it a harem is unfounded. Certainly there is romance between Willem and Chtholly. I don't really see relations with the troll going beyond the current peer and prey (whether you want to see it sexually or not) dynamic. Teasing characters like Ithea rarely become a love interest unless they are the main one already. Nephren has always been framed non-sexually (like the younger girls) despite Ithea's teasing. At best that puts you at two, which is not enough.

Do you honestly expect every single or even most of the dozens of smaller children to be developed thoroughly and have entirely separate character designs? I don't need that and they don't have the time for it. As long as the main cast is treated with care, and maybe a couple of the kids (like the four featured prominently through the three episodes so far), I don't need have every single kid be wholly separate from the rest, so that criticism just seem like nitpicking.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Well I'm not the only one who indicated that the amount of time spent on the Rom com tropes was notable. The reviewer for this thread referenced it in the review as a drag, Nordhmmer, who has read the Light Novel is commenting on it, and at least half of the shows twitter discussion in ANNs new "series discussion" feature focuses on the issue. It's that glaring. The thing is, the show has placed so much emphasis on those features that it seems like the crucial set up for blue hair girls battle is more of a side story. That's not good.

As for the harem aspects, I'm trying to be sensitive on that to othe people's interpretation. People know that my literal interpretation (which is the dictionary definition) doesn't require sexual or romantic relationships with any members of the harem, but I get that some peopke have their own interpretation which is why I said at a minimum it is "within an inch" of being one. Basically, we have two girls who have expressly indicated their sexual interest in MC, one other who sexually teases him and/or routinely inquires into whether he is attracted to the younger girls, and another instance where it is joked that he may be having sexual Intercourse with a 4th girl (which of course makes blue haired girl insanely jealous.) Not to mention, we had a separate scene where all the teenaged girls are gossiping about his sexual appeal in their underwear (which I'm sure is a HUGE fantasy for some guys, having a bunch of attractive girls hanging out in their lingerie and chatting about you, which is probably why this scene shows up in a lot of anime.) So yea, I think we are definitely getting a situation where the MC could have his pick of the litter, so to speak, if he so chooses. That is a fantasy in and of itself.

As for the younger girls, i absolutely expect them to put more effort than simply copy/paste one girl to a spot two girls down the line to make the group look bigger. This isn't a background with 50 extras, but they are treating it as such.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo
Key points of narrative/incluing exposition is missing,given the pacing hardly a surprise.
These missing points would give the anime a deeper tone.Given that next week's episode begins the adaption of the 2nd volume,the story goes darker and hopefully the adaption follows suit.

Again I would recommend reading the LN ChibiKangaroo, doing so may change your opinion of the story,the anime 's adaption well-we'll see come episode 12.

On an off-note the translations are still driving me up the wall.

クトリ・ノタ・セニオリス= Kutori or Ctholly
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
I might check out the LN at some point. It might depend on how good this coming battle is.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo I never said they weren't notable. I was pushing back on your implication it took up a much greater amount of the runtime than it did. And yes much of the discussion in the new feature focused on those aspects, as the most recent episode it covered (the second) was the source of much of them. The aspects are definitely noticeable but they are far from the core of the story. The ultimate direction will be apparent soon enough, so let's see where it goes and whose instincts are more prescient.

As for the so-called harem aspects, you are free to have whatever definition you want, but calling the generally accepted definition as pertains to anime the interpretation of just "some people" is very misleading. Does anyone doubt that, outside of head canon, that Kutori/Chtholly will be the love interest? He hasn't expressed any romantic interest in any of the other girls, and not much of any towards her. I think very few guys are focusing on the talking part of the scene you mentioned, and even in terms of fanservice, only the shot looking at Ithea's legs really qualified as such, as the other shots were very matter of fact, as mentioned by others earlier in the thread.

It may not be 50, but a few dozen kids isn't much less. Frankly I'd rather more of the effort be put into the main and important supporting characters than the background characters.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Not according to both the official anime site and the author's personal site, per my previous post in this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4909433#4909433
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

Not according to both the official anime site and the author's personal site, per my previous post in this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4909433#4909433

Chtholly seems to be a phonetic translation then.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I might check out the LN at some point. It might depend on how good this coming battle is.

I'am finding many others share opinions similar to yours, the anime being borderline harem/rom-com/lolis etc. Folks who only watch the anime on certain sites,already are "shipping" this one or that.
So I clumsily try to explain my view point of what I see as misconceptions, stemming the anime touching upon the narrative strong points without providing the context.
Though my thoughts&critique on the anime are filtered through knowing the light novel,and the need not to spoil the many twists.

And with the above said-starting with episode 4(lol much like my thoughts on AoT) the anime's adaption can prove itself ,dig-in,slow down and start the story.

(Edit:and hopefully leave the 4th and 5th volumes for another season)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo I never said they weren't notable. I was pushing back on your implication it took up a much greater amount of the runtime than it did. And yes much of the discussion in the new feature focused on those aspects, as the most recent episode it covered (the second) was the source of much of them. The aspects are definitely noticeable but they are far from the core of the story. The ultimate direction will be apparent soon enough, so let's see where it goes and whose instincts are more prescient.

As for the so-called harem aspects, you are free to have whatever definition you want, but calling the generally accepted definition as pertains to anime the interpretation of just "some people" is very misleading. Does anyone doubt that, outside of head canon, that Kutori/Chtholly will be the love interest? He hasn't expressed any romantic interest in any of the other girls, and not much of any towards her. I think very few guys are focusing on the talking part of the scene you mentioned, and even in terms of fanservice, only the shot looking at Ithea's legs really qualified as such, as the other shots were very matter of fact, as mentioned by others earlier in the thread.

It may not be 50, but a few dozen kids isn't much less. Frankly I'd rather more of the effort be put into the main and important supporting characters than the background characters.

Well they could be doing a much better job focusing in the core of the story but instead they have focused on romanic stuff. Even Chiibi, who is loving this show, has indicated that it has seemed like a romance show to her (she just likes that feature.)

You haven't provided any evidence of a "generally accepted" definition of harem. I provided well known and widely accepted dictionaries' take on it, which line up perfectly with what I said. However, for whatever reason some anime fans make up their own definitions for things that they feel suit them better. That's what is going on here. In efforts to show some deference (even though I disagree) I am indicating that perhaps the show isn't there yet but is very close. In that context, yes setting up several attractive girls who tease the hero sexually, hit on him, engage in overtly sexual acts, are implied to "sleep with him," and profess romantic interest in him amongst themselves is quite close to the line, if there is one, and I don't care how the MC is shown to react to all of this teasing because his reaction is never the point. It's always about whether the audense could independently imagine themselves in his place and going hog wild. That's usually the purpose of such shows.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
In that context, yes setting up several attractive girls who tease the hero sexually, hit on him, engage in overtly sexual acts, are implied to "sleep with him," and profess romantic interest in him amongst themselves is quite close to the line, if there is one, and I don't care how the MC is shown to react to all of this teasing because his reaction is never the point. It's always about whether the audense could independently imagine themselves in his place and going hog wild. That's usually the purpose of such shows.

For those who have only watched the anime,the adaption is coming across as a harem/rom-com with a possible darker twist.
And this is one of the misconceptions(my feeling) many others anime only viewers share with you,as explained in my comment above.

Point in case;the two other older girls are acting as Kutori's wingmen,they are trying to fulfill her last request/wish to know what real romance is before the upcoming battle.

The 'girls' are shunned and cutoff from normal society,their knowledge of social interactions comes-The following has only been implied in the anime and not in detail spoiler[from reading copious amounts of romance novels].The next two episode should explain another medium that they use.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Well they could be doing a much better job focusing in the core of the story but instead they have focused on romanic stuff. Even Chiibi, who is loving this show, has indicated that it has seemed like a romance show to her (she just likes that feature.)

You haven't provided any evidence of a "generally accepted" definition of harem. I provided well known and widely accepted dictionaries' take on it, which line up perfectly with what I said. However, for whatever reason some anime fans make up their own definitions for things that they feel suit them better. That's what is going on here. In efforts to show some deference (even though I disagree) I am indicating that perhaps the show isn't there yet but is very close. In that context, yes setting up several attractive girls who tease the hero sexually, hit on him, engage in overtly sexual acts, are implied to "sleep with him," and profess romantic interest in him amongst themselves is quite close to the line, if there is one, and I don't care how the MC is shown to react to all of this teasing because his reaction is never the point. It's always about whether the audense could independently imagine themselves in his place and going hog wild. That's usually the purpose of such shows.

By taking a series that has been described as Fantasy Grave of the Fireflies and saying it's a harem series when it's not is the most insulting parts of your post.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Does anyone doubt that, outside of head canon, that Kutori/Chtholly will be the love interest? He hasn't expressed any romantic interest in any of the other girls, and not much of any towards her.

Does anyone doubt that, outside of head canon, that Naru will be the love interest? Keitaro hasn't expressed any romantic interest in any of the other girls and not much of any towards her.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

By taking a series that has been described as Fantasy Grave of the Fireflies and saying it's a harem series when it's not is the most insulting parts of your post.

To be fair to ChibiKangaroo their opinion is shared by many many others who are just watching the anime.
I've waded through hundreds comments,on non-Crunchyroll sites let us say, that express, albeit without ChibiKangaroo's eloquence and verbosity, that sukasuka is coming across as a borderline loli harem/rom-com with "feels".
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Does anyone doubt that, outside of head canon, that Kutori/Chtholly will be the love interest? He hasn't expressed any romantic interest in any of the other girls, and not much of any towards her.

Does anyone doubt that, outside of head canon, that Naru will be the love interest? Keitaro hasn't expressed any romantic interest in any of the other girls and not much of any towards her.

What of the possibility that the two other 'girls' are acting as wingmen to help Chtholly fulfill her wish of having a 'romance'?
Do you feel the anime has shown that aspect?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 21