• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Yokai Girls Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!! I can't believe they got this title!! This is one of my favorite monster girl titles!!! Time to save up for the volumes!!
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Great pick up. I can now support an official release and enjoy more monster girls.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The most interesting part of this announcement to me is that Seven Seas licensed a Shueisha title. Shueisha owns Viz, and other English publishers rarely license from them. Wonder if this is special circumstances or maybe a push for more variety in English Manga Publishing.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The most interesting part of this announcement to me is that Seven Seas licensed a Shueisha title. Shueisha owns Viz, and other English publishers rarely license from them. Wonder if this is special circumstances or maybe a push for more variety in English Manga Publishing.

There are plenty of Shueisha manga that I can't see Viz ever wanting to bring.For an example,do you see Viz ever wanting to touch To Love-Ru?
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Awesome pickup! Happy to add it to my collection this winter Smile
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Honestly been a little disappointed in some of Seven Seas recent pickups, but I'm really happy with this one, never expect to see this one to be published in English!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It is probably only wishful thinking, but I hope they licensed monsuga because there is a good chance this will be picked for an anime adaption in the short term. I mean, what it is not to love, a harem of supernatural japanese monster girls (and monster boys outside the harem), ecchi hijinks and fights.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

There are plenty of Shueisha manga that I can't see Viz ever wanting to bring.For an example,do you see Viz ever wanting to touch To Love-Ru?

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether a manga fits Viz's American brand or not--my understanding is that they have first dibs, and other companies can't acquire rights to Shueisha or Shogakukan published manga unless Viz *actively* gives up the rights. That's why Vertical didn't allow people to request Shueisha or Shogakukan titles in their surveys, and why it took such a long time for the fan favorite zombie manga I am a Hero to be published by Dark Horse--not exactly Viz's "type," but not available to anyone else for a long time. I have a wish list of Shueisha & Shogakukan titles that I'd love to see licensed, but know it's unlikely due to Viz's lack of interest. So if this is a mark of change, it's an exciting development.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Maybe SSE has a contract with VIZ so that if VIZ doesn't ever want to touch the 'mature' titles such as Yokai Girls, then SSE has special permission to license 'em.

I would like SSE to license To Love Ru in omnibus form, though.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I can't wait to see To Love-Ru manga finally available here in North America. If possible, I wanna see that manga have it's own audio drama since it doesn't look like the anime will have an English dub. I actually like the manga's narrative a whole lot better since the first season of the anime isn't very faithful towards its source material.

If it did have it's own audio drama, I think voice actors in California would probably be better. As long as their voices fits all our favorite characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1