• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Himōto! Umaru-chan Anime's English Dub Casts Emily Neves as Umaru

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Poor Monica
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Okiedok, that was a curveball I did not see coming.

Well my dream for Jessica Calvello was pretty much dashed to pieces, yet I was also pretty affable to the concept of Tia Ballard. Didn't even think of Emily Neves as an option. Always pegged her for the silent type characters...which kinda makes sense in Umaru's case now that I think of it. Still, this was a real fun Character Guess game. Congrats to the Neve.

Okay, who's next? Ebina? Sylphyn?
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand this show, but Emily Neves is awesome. From the video it seems like she's having fun with the character. The end result should be great. I'd like to see some clips of her as "proper" Umaru as well.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Poor Monica

I don't understand this comment. It's not like Monica Rial is hurting for work in the slightest.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Poor Monica

I don't understand this comment. It's not like Monica Rial is hurting for work in the slightest.

She might be after this
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Poor Monica

She might be after this

How so? she's at conventions almost all the time and still does plenty of voice acting and writing work for Funimation when she's not at Sentai.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

How so? she's at conventions almost all the time and still does plenty of voice acting and writing work for Funimation when she's not at Sentai.

Plus she's interested in script writing after trying it and directing in the past. The money is there compared to voice acting. Which makes me assume that sentai got Cindy Lou Parker, an actress with very close vocal range to her because Monica might work more on scripts for funimation instead of acting.

And an even bigger coincidence. Emily Neves is back as a main lead after doing Funi script work and hoping from Texas to NY. AND sentai took down their career page looking for a new ADR director. Maybe she sucked up and put her pride aside to go back to direct stuff? Or they found someone new? Dunno. But this is an interesting coincidence.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
She sounds obnoxious, but of course I know that's the intent.

By the way guys, Monica Rial has no shortage of work. I assure you of that. Masamune-kun just wrapped up, My Hero Academia is ongoing and who knows what she's gonna work on for Funi this season.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
She sounds obnoxious, but of course I know that's the intent.

By the way guys, Monica Rial has no shortage of work. I assure you of that. Masamune-kun just wrapped up, My Hero Academia is ongoing and who knows what she's gonna work on for Funi this season.

Don't forget Tanya.

In the end, the Neves of the ani' outweigh the Rial.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
That was, um, something. Sure, it was annoying but did the voice have to be annoying and shrill? Bringing up Calvello doesn't help matters as a Nanael-like voice would have been, well, still annoying but in a "talk less" kind of way rather then "don't talk at all".
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
That was, um, something. Sure, it was annoying but did the voice have to be annoying and shrill? Bringing up Calvello doesn't help matters as a Nanael-like voice would have been, well, still annoying but in a "talk less" kind of way rather then "don't talk at all".

When I read the manga first I imagined Umaru in Jessica's voice, that's why. It can be a bother when I hear someone else voicing a character, meaning I have to go back to the beginning and start all over. Damn OCD. Worst ones are when they change voices in mid-cour, eg. The World God Only Knows.

TBH though, it's been so long since the last Umaru release I can live with that.

I imagine Emily will be switching over to her normal tone when voicing her honor student Umaru, and maybe her UMR persona.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

"Annoying and shrill" is how I often feel about those high-pitched Japanese voices. This is just that in English.

It was pretty neat to see Emily playing the role though. For me, it can be hard to imagine an adult sounding like that.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
That is so spot on.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
You would have a better chance getting Monica in more Sentai dubs than Jessica Boone. This is because the former lives in Prague and I don't know how often she can Skype or fly in to record.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1