• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Common English Loanwords Mistranslated So Often?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
These complaints about translation was (and is) always a huge pet peeve of mine about the anime community. For the longest time it seemed like things had to be completely literal or the translation was considered crap.

"I CLEARLY heard that character say 'mansion', and that's how they translated it in the fansub, [official translation] says 'apartment' so obvs the entire translation is 100% wrong"
Never mind the nuances that come with loan words, much less completely mishearing.

But even worse was the "the first translation I saw MUST be the correct one" fallacy. Like, a nobody in their basement with a Japanese dictionary knows better than a paid professional (And sometimes they do! I'm even one of them! Buuuut when you have two translations that differ widly in multiple areas, my money is usually on the professional translation being more correct.) It was especially bad with speedsubs vs official release, since many people didn't even know that their fansubs were a rush job.

the other thing is that some of the alternations and loanwords are necessary. especially when it comes to mouth matching. one english dub the sub elitists love to trash were the index/railgun dubs cause they used "sissy" instead of "oni-chan" when kuroko sees mikoto. however i dont really see anything wrong with it. there are some series where the actual translations and honorifics will work , but at other times, english loanwords have to be used and the index/railgun series serves as a prime example that it was needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
jr240483, I don't think you understand what a loan word is. When people who speak English use the word "schadenfreude", for example; it's a German word we use because there isn't really an English equivalent. That's a loan word. When the Japanese use the English word "idol", that's a loan word. And when a translation replaces "idol" with "pop star", that's the kind of thing we're debating; keep the loan word even if the Japanese use of the word is different from the English use of it or use a more suitable English word.

In your example of Kuroko calling Mikoto "sissy" instead of "onee-sama", that's not a loan word, it's just a translation, and it gets criticism because it's not a very good one. I have never in my life witnessed anyone call someone "sissy" in that way; it's just not a way people talk in English. There is no real consensus on what is an appropriate way to translate that, there's just no suitable English equivalent that gets used the way "onee-sama" does. Some advocate just sticking with "onee-sama", others advocate something like "big sis" to more-or-less convey the meaning even if it sounds a bit awkward in English. Also worth noting that this example isn't a sub/dub thing; it's a Funimation translation thing since they use "sissy" in their subtitles too.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
In your example of Kuroko calling Mikoto "sissy" instead of "onee-sama", that's not a loan word, it's just a translation, and it gets criticism because it's not a very good one. I have never in my life witnessed anyone call someone "sissy" in that way; it's just not a way people talk in English. There is no real consensus on what is an appropriate way to translate that, there's just no suitable English equivalent that gets used the way "onee-sama" does. Some advocate just sticking with "onee-sama", others advocate something like "big sis" to more-or-less convey the meaning even if it sounds a bit awkward in English. Also worth noting that this example isn't a sub/dub thing; it's a Funimation translation thing since they use "sissy" in their subtitles too.

I remember those moments of Railgun...Hearing "sissy" in the English version felt pretty awkward, even if that term was normal. "Onee-sama" or "Big Sis" would have sounded much better.[/b]
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
"Sissy" is a far more accurate representation of Kuroko's use of "Onee-sama" in tone than "Big Sis", which completely misunderstands Kuroko's character and both why and how she uses "Onee-sama". The literal meaning of sister is the least important part.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I have never in my life witnessed anyone call someone "sissy" in that way

I'd be surprised if you had (I certainly haven't): it's a posh term not used in modern common discourse between societal "equals", which reflects a fondness and respect to an elder sister with an old-fashioned air... rather like "Onee-sama" as Kuroko uses it.

If you want a one-to-one expression that includes the meaning "sister", Funimation's choice is clearly the superior one. A better option in my opinion would be to write a new pet expression for Kuroko to use which venerates her much-adored friend and use that instead.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
"Sissy" is a far more accurate representation of Kuroko's use of "Onee-sama" in tone than "Big Sis", which completely misunderstands Kuroko's character and both why and how she uses "Onee-sama". The literal meaning of sister is the least important part.

It's a posh term not used in modern common discourse between societal "equals", which reflects a fondness and respect to an elder sister with an old-fashioned air... rather like "Onee-sama" as Kuroko uses it.

If you want a one-to-one expression that includes the meaning "sister", Funimation's choice is clearly the superior one. A better option in my opinion would be to write a new pet expression for Kuroko to use which venerates her much-adored friend and use that instead.

I really can't agree there. To begin with, that use of the word is largely unknown in modern times; it's much more known as an insult for "unmanly" men and boys, akin to "pansy" or "poofter". Use of "onee-sama" in such a way is not as archaic, even if it is considered old-fashioned.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
@Sakagami Tomoyo: Okay... so what? None of that negates or even addresses my point that it's more accurate than "Big Sis" or any of the reasons I gave for that assertion. I'd really think that's more important than your relatively trivial criticism. You've identified a downside, a reason that it's not a perfect fit (which probably doesn't exist). "Big Sis" has only the advantage of being more commonly used and carries all the disadvantages that come from being inaccurate in most important ways (see my last post),.

As for "that use of the word [being] largely unknown in modern times"... well, firstly, it's not "that use of the word". The term of address for an elder sister and the pejorative term are actually different words, homophones (and homographs). And secondly: again, what does it matter? Lack of modern use does not somehow invalidate any meaning it carries and it's obvious from context what it does mean. Plus you're reading it more than just the once, so you'll remember it the second time. So the best representation of a Japanese term of address is a term which is more obscure in English than that term is in Japanese – that's really not a big deal and no reason to use a far less accurate expression. You may as well pick literally any other term of address in English if that's your sole criterion. How about "Sistah", "Mummy" or "Bro"? Sure, they're all obviously wrong, but they're more commonly recognised nowadays, which is the only thing that matters, right?

This is even assuming it is indeed "unknown in modern times" as you say. I sure knew it: I identified it immediately as a term I'd heard in period dramas and novels about rich British families. That association is pretty similar to what a Japanese reader would have connecting it to traditional or period literature about nobility, even if neither they nor anyone they know would use it in a regular real-life situation.

EDIT: I don't know if this has actually been suggested or used in a licensed or fan release, but while chopping onions for dinner it's occurred to me that "Sister dearest" would probably work quite well, checking most or all of the boxes for tone, character, respectfulness (and meaning "sister") without being as obscure or requiring getting used to. "Mikoto dearest" or something would work well as well, instead of or alongside. As I mentioned earlier, the literal reference to sisterhood is not as important to the meaning conveyed, so I still think making up a new pet expression would be best.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
As for "that use of the word [being] largely unknown in modern times"... well, firstly, it's not "that use of the word". The term of address for an elder sister and the pejorative term are actually different words, homophones (and homographs). And secondly: again, what does it matter? Lack of modern use does not somehow invalidate any meaning it carries and it's obvious from context what it does mean. Plus you're reading it more than just the once, so you'll remember it the second time. So the best representation of a Japanese term of address is a term which is more obscure in English than that term is in Japanese – that's really not a big deal and no reason to use a far less accurate expression. You may as well pick literally any other term of address in English if that's your sole criterion. How about "Sistah", "Mummy" or "Bro"? Sure, they're all obviously wrong, but they're more commonly recognised nowadays, which is the only thing that matters, right?

This is even assuming it is indeed "unknown in modern times" as you say. I sure knew it: I identified it immediately as a term I'd heard in period dramas and novels about rich British families. That association is pretty similar to what a Japanese reader would have connecting it to traditional or period literature about nobility, even if neither they nor anyone they know would use it in a regular real-life situation.

Now, I'm not familiar with the context in which it's used, but as far as I'm concerned, if it has little to no usage in modern times, if the story is set during the present day, then it shouldn't be used, because that's not the sort of thing people would say in the present. It'd be okay if it's a period piece or a flashback of long ago, but not in the present, where it'll come across as forced.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
Kuroko's usage of the term is also not how teenage girls talk to each other nowadays, even in girls' boarding schools. In the context of Raildex, it's an affectation particular to her, respectful and old-fashioned, and it demonstrates her unique relationship with Mikoto.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
As for "that use of the word [being] largely unknown in modern times"... well, firstly, it's not "that use of the word". The term of address for an elder sister and the pejorative term are actually different words, homophones (and homographs).

That's splitting the hair really goddamned thin.

jymmy wrote:
Lack of modern use does not somehow invalidate any meaning it carries and it's obvious from context what it does mean.

On the contrary, if it doesn't see modern use, it really isn't that much good in a translation, regardless of how well one can determine its meaning from context. And sure accuracy matters, but only to a certain extent; between a word that's fallen from usage that's absolutely accurate and one that's in common usage but is only mostly accurate, the latter is a better choice. Unless you're translating legal documents or drafting a treaty or something, under those sorts of circumstances you've got a point. But we're talking about conversations between teenage girls in a cartoon.

jymmy wrote:

I dunno, I'd hardly call use in period dramas and novels about rich British families evidence of common modern usage. At the very least, I've seen "onee-sama" used far more commonly in anime and manga than I have "sissy" at all. (And that's including the pejorative use.) I expect its use in anime and manga is much greater than its use in real life, but still way more familiar to the average Japanese speaker than "sissy" is to the average English speaker.

jymmy wrote:
EDIT: I don't know if this has actually been suggested or used in a licensed or fan release, but while chopping onions for dinner it's occurred to me that "Sister dearest" would probably work quite well, checking most or all of the boxes for tone, character, respectfulness (and meaning "sister") without being as obscure or requiring getting used to. "Mikoto dearest" or something would work well as well, instead of or alongside. As I mentioned earlier, the literal reference to sisterhood is not as important to the meaning conveyed, so I still think making up a new pet expression would be best.

It's better than "sissy", that's for sure. Still doesn't quite sound right to me, but it's better than most alternatives. Not "Mikoto dearest" though; I don't like adding use of a character's name where it wasn't. "Mikoto-onee-sama" to "Mikoto dearest" would be acceptable, "Onee-sama" to "Mikoto dearest" wouldn't.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
That's splitting the hair really goddamned thin.

I wouldn't say so. I was pointing out that, intentionally or not, you are treating two completely different words as the same word.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
On the contrary, if it doesn't see modern use, it really isn't that much good in a translation

Yeah, unless it encapsulates all other meanings accurately and no obvious alternative does. Then it's a suboptimal but potentially valid translation. Certainly better than something that's completely wrong.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
And sure accuracy matters, but only to a certain extent; between a word that's fallen from usage that's absolutely accurate and one that's in common usage but is only mostly accurate, the latter is a better choice.

But as I've explained, "Big Sis" is almost totally inaccurate. It's too casual and does not denote respect. It's also not old-fashioned or affected and doesn't fit with Kuroko's general character. It expresses none of the original meaning other than referring to an elder sister, which is a point nonessential to why Kuroko is calling Mikoto that – if you notice, they're not actually sisters. Accuracy isn't "can you find it in a dictionary?": among other things, it's tone, subtext, the reasoning behind why it's said in the first place and, sometimes, literal meaning. One ("Sissy") gets all of these right and the other ("Big Sis") gets none bar the one least important in this situation. I'm not saying "Sissy" is the perfect translation. I'm saying it's decent for various reasons but not perfect for other reasons. Not having the same contemporary usage is a strike against it, to be sure. But that's trivial compared to failing to represent any essential part of the original's actual meaning, which is what "Big Sis" does.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I dunno, I'd hardly call use in period dramas and novels about rich British families evidence of common modern usage.

Nor would or did I. I explained how I came to be familiar with the term and posited that it's similar to how a contemporary Japanese reader/viewer could recognise it from drama or literature.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
At the very least, I've seen "onee-sama" used far more commonly in anime and manga than I have "sissy" at all. (And that's including the pejorative use.) I expect its use in anime and manga is much greater than its use in real life, but still way more familiar to the average Japanese speaker than "sissy" is to the average English speaker.

Yes, and? It is used more commonly. Both occupy similar territory in contemporary and period use, but anime and manga nowadays tell more stories where people saying "Onee-sama" are likely to happen. "Onee-sama" also has additional usage scenarios not relevant to Kuroko's use of it, such as when used between actual siblings.

Again, that doesn't make it an inaccurate representation of almost everything that matters about a translation. Whereas apart from the sole point of being in more common usage (although it's still not used in the same way as "Onee-sama" is at all), "Big Sis" fails at everything that matters; see my earlier mention of it in this post. Your criticism makes sense; your conclusion that this makes "Big Sis" better does not.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
It's better than "sissy", that's for sure. Still doesn't quite sound right to me, but it's better than most alternatives. ... "Mikoto-onee-sama" to "Mikoto dearest" would be acceptable, "Onee-sama" to "Mikoto dearest" wouldn't.

Okay, that all sounds fair. Just going to note, though:

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I don't like adding use of a character's name where it wasn't

Except where it makes the translation flow and make more sense, right?

TL;DR: "Sissy" makes some sense. It's a decent translation, taking into account various factors, but a flawed choice to use due to others, and probably something different should be used.

"Big Sis" is in not an accurate translation in any way that matters and would portray Kuroko's character inaccurately.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Quote:
Why would a Japanese character be talking in a system of measurement they don't use? It doesn't bother me, nor should it bother any reasonable person, to hear terms in a convention they don't use. That's how the world works: different people use different conventions. If I were in your position, I would feel I was being treated like an idiot by the licensors.

I think you are being a bit extreme here. No the Japanese character is not talking about a system of measurement they don't use. They are also not speaking English. The whole point of the subtitles (or dub) is to make the show understandable to the person watching. To me the conversion to US standard measurement is simply part of the translation. I understand that it bothers you because you are used to using metric measurement. I'm not so the conversion is transparent to me.

That said, my basic take is that I really don't care either way. I can cope with either metric or US measurement and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I feel the same about almost all of the various issues raised in this thread. I find it interesting that there are people passionate on both sides of the question about honorifics, loan words, and fan familiar Japanese words. Every company that does translations has to set their own policies on each of these issues. Obviously, no matter which way they decide they are going to upset some people and please others.

Now if I had my druthers, I'd rather they used a light hand with the translation. I am watching anime specifically because it is from a different culture than mine. I see no reason why the translation should try to hide the cultural differences. If they asked me, I would leave in the honorifics and translate loan words only if failure to do so changed the meaning. I would leave in Japanese words familiar to anime fans and those words for which there is no equivalent in English. I don't think that anyone watching a subtitled show should have any problem with that. Sure, shows aimed at the lower teen or pre teen crowd should go the extra mile, as should shows dubbed for TV broadcast. But you know something, no one is asking me. (they aren't asking you either)

Regarding the most recent Railgun/Index question, I would have left the Japanese intact in the subtitles and provided an explanation somewhere where it would not have interrupted the show. Obviously that one has no really good answer.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I think you are being a bit extreme here. No the Japanese character is not talking about a system of measurement they don't use. They are also not speaking English. The whole point of the subtitles (or dub) is to make the show understandable to the person watching. To me the conversion to US standard measurement is simply part of the translation. I understand that it bothers you because you are used to using metric measurement. I'm not so the conversion is transparent to me.

Nope, it doesn't bother me due to being or not being used to anything. I did give specific examples of when I was on both sides of the comprehension barrier. I feel converting measurements oversteps the boundaries of a translation and for me it's immensely distracting.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
@jymmy
Like it or not, but the derogatory meaning of that word (see? I can't even write it, to not feel bad) is the only meaning I am familiar with. It may be because English is not my native language, it may be because I am also active in LGBT community, but that's how it is for me. I can't even force myself to see it as different word, as you obviously can. I never saw Railgun, to be honest, but if I saw it, I would probably be like: "Why the hell are they using expletive to translate onee-sama". If one had to translate it, your "sister dearest" is probably better translation, but I would probably go with just "dear sister" or "my dear sister". It doesn't feel as awkward or as archaic to me and it would still catch the feeling and meaning of that use of "onee-sama" IMO. But as I wrote, I did not see Raiilgun, I am just going with what was said about it.

Edit: Thinking about it more, if the original meaning of that word is archaic, posh British word, it would feel even more weird used in modern-day American English. Just my two cents.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
@peno

I'm going to have to agree with you here. The word "sissy" has too much baggage no matter how you spell it. I heard enough of that nonsense (even from some adults) when I was young just because I considered baseball a threat to my health.

As I said above I would support the use of the Japanese term with a brief translators note at the end of the first episode. Most of the fans who streamed or bought that series probably didn't need an explanation in the first place.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

I remember those moments of Railgun...Hearing "sissy" in the English version felt pretty awkward, even if that term was normal. "Onee-sama" or "Big Sis" would have sounded much better.[/b]

actually the term sissy was used back in the early 80's. its was how at times my older sister refereed to my younger sister whenever she was sad. that or "sissy poo".

hell that is how my aunt at times says the same thing to my mom and my other aunt back when they were younger too whenever they did something stupid and that was back in the late 60's early 70's. its not surprising that it will sound awkward for those that didn't lived in those eras , but i know what that term was meant for since i was from those timeline when it was commonplace.

also there is the little notion of the mouth flaps where the english voices need to be in sync with the mouth motions and unfortunately the term "big sis" wouldn't match the mouth completely. if a season three for both index and railgun ever gets a green light and funi licenses it, they need to do a commentary extra on the translations and why they used those term sissy since unfortunately there werent any commentary extras on this subject for the previous series and movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12