• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol, I guess we can apply the "Artistic Age" trope to these series.

Shh, you'll set Luna off again!

Chiibi wrote:
Basically "We need these characters this age for the story but we need to draw them looking older because of certain.....situations they have to go through".

Once, I used to hang out in the comments section for a blogger who was doing episode-by-episode reaction posts to Utena. When we hit a certain episode, I was planning to comment something to the effect of "Reminder that this character: *picture of Utena, preferably from a model sheet* is the same age as this character: *picture of Madoka Kaname, whose series the blogger had previously done* Thank you and enjoy your spoiler[statutory rape] cartoon! :D"

Though really, I think the proportions are about the same as the 14-year-old cast of Sailor Moon, which I'm pretty sure was aimed at elementary-schoolers.

vonPeterhof wrote:
So I guess not all of the characters are in the 13-15 range (though I don't know if this is what the English versions other than the one by Enoki Films actually imply).

I watched the Nozomi DVDs, and later compared to an older fansub, which used the same subtitles, so I assume both took them from the CPM release. It was clear to me that Utena/Anthy/Wakaba were in 8th grade, Miki was in the year below them, and the rest of the student council were high-schoolers. (For the neophytes reading, Miki's the kid with the blue hair, and there's a couple more characters his age we'll meet shortly.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
As far as Utena goes, though, I'm not entirely sure about how much I'm bothered by the fact that the characters don't look like middle schoolers... probably because most of the time I forget that they aren't high schoolers.

Given that the characters often look significantly taller and lankier than is typical of a human being—not quite to CLAMP extents but not far therefrom—I can certainly sympathise with this complaint. Then again, the show's setting is quite unlike any school that could ever exist, so it is not as if this degree of verisimilitude was ever a likely prospect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
Count me in as one of those who the show spoke to as an adolescent. Though for me it was more about the gender norms. It was so frustrating (and still is) to see how everyone tried to make Utena into less of a female simply because she chose to do some things that were typically more associated with males. Our society has gotten better since I first watched the show but there's still so much of this that is applicable.

I keep trying to find a way to express how I feel about what I saw in those first two episodes as well as relating it to what I saw of Lesbian Bear Storm- from what I know of cultural definitions of self expression, does Ikuhara even know what "bears" are? Or that bears even have a meaning more than "large omnivorous mammals" or is it just one of those odd coincidences? Maybe he should have gone with cats?

But that's the issue at heart; While yuri has its meaning in Japan, other words have their own special meaning in other languages. What does this have to do with the above post and Utena in general?

I can't see the forest without seeing trees so I don't see problems with Utena herself- except that her "boy's uniform" doesn't have pants so it looks like a shirt/skirt combo but I just have to accept the fact that it's the blazer that makes it a boy's uniform, right?- but with the world she exists in and the one that created her. And it's kind of sexist. I don't mean it in a "do as you are" sort of way as was my expectation going into it- Utena is Utena and she laughs at your petty labels, men and women alike; something like that maybe? But that's Haruhi Suzumiya and she's not as widely accepted as Utena in that regard- but in the classic "men are super awesome and women should know their place" sort of way.

Hooray.

So, all men are sadistic pricks- if you want to talk about flowers and sexuality, roses are masculine because of their, ahem, "lower thorns" among other reasons; Tuxedo Mask didn't throw daisies for a reason. If you want feminine flowers, it's orchids and lilies all the way- and all women are submissive slaves. Or should be. Or could be? Do as you are told and it's just coincidence that it's men who do the telling? And all the men except for that one "shining prince" are worthless.

This is why I hate symbolism as a story telling device. It's nice as just something in addition but when it's your main story telling method, you have to be certain of what you're saying to your audience unless you want to limit your audience to the ones receptive to the one thing you're shouting.

Ikuhara isn't pro expression of personal sexuality identity, he's just pro lesbian. To create that point as well as show why it's "the right one", he's stacked this world in favor of what he sees as desirable... I'm amazed how penguindrum escaped this as spoiler[as both lead romance couples were entirely hetero... except for the fact that both guys were removed from the picture and the two women started living together...] so...it didn't?

So, yeah, I guess that's it. I don't have a problem with pretentiousness but I do have a problem with stories where people can say "this is what I see and this how this work supports it" while ignoring the fact that Ikuhara and the work is a little biased against one sex? It's not even being subtle about it either

It's not actually progressive, it's just another form of sexism.

Also, the first episode stole the climax of Sailor Moon's first story; That would be an anime foul right there if Ikuhara wasn't the one who probably directed it. There's more but this post has gone on too long as it is.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
from what I know of cultural definitions of self expression, does Ikuhara even know what "bears" are? Or that bears even have a meaning more than "large omnivorous mammals" or is it just one of those odd coincidences?

It's a Japanese cultural reference.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Animegomaniac that the first couple episodes do carry a bit of a negative commentary on men. Utena is seen as a superior individual because she is a non-boy who has sort of absorbed all of the positive aspects of masculinity, but without any of the negatives that are depicted. In that sense, yes boys thus far are depicted as bastards, girls are depicted as damsels in distress (Anthy and Wakaba) and Utena is a sort of hybrid being that is superior to them all. I don't think that is an unfair criticism. That being said, I'm not entirely opposed to exploring such a concept of multi-gendered character being put on a pedestal.

That being said, Utena is not a true multi-gendered character either. She is simply a girl who decided to appropriate masculinity to herself, somewhat similar to Tezuka's Princess Knight, although princess knight is closer to a multi-gendered person as it is explicitly stated that she is part boy, albeit in a somewhat clumsy fashion. However, in that context, Utena could be criticized as well because perhaps she does represent a symbol of a woman discarding her femininity for what she perceives as the benefits of maleness, rather than discarding all gender associations or becoming a truly multi-gendered symbol, or becoming a male due to her identity. Instead, it could be said that there is just a certain aspect of maleness that she desires, but not that she believes herself to be a man.

Since I haven't yet watched the rest of the series, I don't know how this is addressed going forward. Like I said, I think it is a fair critique thus far and I am interested to see how her development proceeds.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel you are somewhat missing the point, if perhaps with good intentions. Utena is not a "multi-gendered character", at least not in terms of identification; she identifies strongly and clearly as female multiple times throughout the show. If you are perceiving her as a multi-gendered character in terms of presentation, then I'm afraid you are falling into a common trap, one of your own making. However, as will be made extremely plain later in the series, the show set up this version of the trap purposefully, to catch you doing it - and to have you catch yourself doing it.

One of the strongest points the show is seeking to make, as Ikuhara has expounded on repeatedly in the various interviews and commentaries, is that the supposedly "masculine" positive aspects you mention - a love of sports and activity, a strong sense of justice, the sense of self-confidence that enables her to enter into direct confrontations with what she sees as wrong - these and other attributes are just as innate to, and just as much within the purview of, women.

This role of action and competence, which the show condenses into the archetype of the Prince, is contrasted with the just-as-stereotypical role of the Princess, which is a role of passivity, inaction, and helplessness. However, the show takes great pains to advance an assertion that both of these roles, and others, fall within the potential of women as complete human beings that embody - both inwardly in themselves and in outward representation to others - the full spectrum of everything it means to be human.

This is the true meaning of the franchise's promulgation of a "female Prince". It is not a male role, but a human one. It is not "discarding femininity", it is expanding its definition beyond the stereotypical ideas of what that term, that state of being, is often taken to mean.

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Ikuhara isn't pro expression of personal sexuality identity, he's just pro lesbian. To create that point as well as show why it's "the right one", he's stacked this world in favor of what he sees as desirable... I'm amazed how penguindrum escaped this as spoiler[as both lead romance couples were entirely hetero... except for the fact that both guys were removed from the picture and the two women started living together...] so...it didn't?

So, yeah, I guess that's it. I don't have a problem with pretentiousness but I do have a problem with stories where people can say "this is what I see and this how this work supports it" while ignoring the fact that Ikuhara and the work is a little biased against one sex? It's not even being subtle about it either

It's not actually progressive, it's just another form of sexism.

This is exactly how I feel about Ikuhara and he bugs the hell out of me. lol I'd love to walk up to him and ask him "Dude, why do you hate your own gender anyway? What is your problem!?"
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This is exactly how I feel about Ikuhara and he bugs the hell out of me. lol I'd love to walk up to him and ask him "Dude, why do you hate your own gender anyway? What is your problem!?"

Except he doesn't hate his gender, he hates patriarchy. spoiler[The whole point of some of the backstories for the male student council members is to show how misogynistic ways of thinking hurt men, too.

You don't have to hate the player to hate the game. Wink]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
I feel you are somewhat missing the point, if perhaps with good intentions. Utena is not a "multi-gendered character", at least not in terms of identification; she identifies strongly and clearly as female multiple times throughout the show. If you are perceiving her as a multi-gendered character in terms of presentation, then I'm afraid you are falling into a common trap, one of your own making. However, as will be made extremely plain later in the series, the show set up this version of the trap purposefully, to catch you doing it - and to have you catch yourself doing it.

One of the strongest points the show is seeking to make, as Ikuhara has expounded on repeatedly in the various interviews and commentaries, is that the supposedly "masculine" positive aspects you mention - a love of sports and activity, a strong sense of justice, the sense of self-confidence that enables her to enter into direct confrontations with what she sees as wrong - these and other attributes are just as innate to, and just as much within the purview of, women.

This role of action and competence, which the show condenses into the archetype of the Prince, is contrasted with the just-as-stereotypical role of the Princess, which is a role of passivity, inaction, and helplessness. However, the show takes great pains to advance an assertion that both of these roles, and others, fall within the potential of women as complete human beings that embody - both inwardly in themselves and in outward representation to others - the full spectrum of everything it means to be human.

This is the true meaning of the franchise's promulgation of a "female Prince". It is not a male role, but a human one. It is not "discarding femininity", it is expanding its definition beyond the stereotypical ideas of what that term, that state of being, is often taken to mean.

It seems strange to me to say that the show is setting "traps" for the audience. But I'm mainly commenting on the fact that the show portrays Utena's ideal as a prince who is specifically male. The gender of that prince is made clear in Utena's dream sequences and othe mentions. It's also made clear that she is dressing "like the boys," not "like a prince." Perhaps some of this is dealt with later on, but the point I was making is that it is fair to criticize the show thus far because male characters thus far have been depicted very poorly (aside from the prince in Utena's dream) and at the same time, Utena appears to be appropriatingoing aspects that the show itself describes as masculine. If the show later says "actually, we were just kidding, that wasn't masculine, it's something else" then I'll comment on that when it comes.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Utena appears to be appropriating aspects that the show itself describes as masculine.

As said, that's the trick.

Quote:
If the show later says "actually, we were just kidding, that wasn't masculine, it's something else" then I'll comment on that when it comes.

It will not "say" so in such plain and overt language as you suggest, but it most certainly will be shown. Strongly. I will not spoil, but there will come a moment when everything the viewer has been given to believe about the foundation of Utena's Prince ideal...is starkly redirected.

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay well that was the point I am making. I'm looking at the show based on what it is doing now, not several episodes from now. When we get to whatever transition you are implying, then I would have the opportunity to think on that.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It seems strange to me to say that the show is setting "traps" for the audience. But I'm mainly commenting on the fact that the show portrays Utena's ideal as a prince who is specifically male. The gender of that prince is made clear in Utena's dream sequences and othe mentions. It's also made clear that she is dressing "like the boys," not "like a prince." Perhaps some of this is dealt with later on, but the point I was making is that it is fair to criticize the show thus far because male characters thus far have been depicted very poorly (aside from the prince in Utena's dream) and at the same time, Utena appears to be appropriatingoing aspects that the show itself describes as masculine. If the show later says "actually, we were just kidding, that wasn't masculine, it's something else" then I'll comment on that when it comes.

I'd argue that most of your issues will actually be addressed in later episodes. The show's driving mystery is not only about Utena finding her prince, but also about what she'll actually DO when she does. She kind of asks that question herself multiple times.
It also asks just what the hell being a "prince" or "princess" means.

As for what you said about how male characters are portrayed, I also say to just keep watching. Long story short, the show's female characters are arguably just as messed up and full of personal problems as the male ones are.

Hell, that can even apply Utena to herself! The first two episodes do sell her on being a hyper-competent badass, but eventually you'll begin to she has some severe, tragic flaws herself.

Last edited by Shenl742 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Exactly so.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Except he doesn't hate his gender

Could have fooled me; in everything he has directed, the male characters are either a-holes or they are given crappy endings or crappy writing?

I can't think of a good reason for it. He even admits to disliking Mamoru "for stealing Usagi away"....okay, that's just retarded. Rolling Eyes
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Could have fooled me; in everything he has directed, the male characters are either a-holes or they are given crappy endings or crappy writing?

To be fair, he does a lot of shoujo stuff, and there's definitely a significant subset of shoujo stories that feature a-hole guys. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15