• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsukigakirei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I also haven't been too bothered by the CG background characters, personally I think Nick's over-egging the pudding on this one ... perhaps because I'm watching on a TV rather than up-close on a computer screen? But in any case the direction keeps my focus on the foreground and the visual quirks don't really break my immersion. Just my 2c.

By contrast, Granblue Fantasy's very sharp visual contrast between loosely-drawn characters and blurry backgrounds made it unwatchable for me, I was just constantly aware of the two different planes in the composition, so distracting ...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There is something about this series to which I can relate without ever having been in the leads' romantic situation. At least from Kotarou's perspective, each move in entering a relationship is shown to be like a racking calculation in which alternative responses are mentally whittled away; victories in such an endeavour eliciting sparks of joy that only privacy can fully reveal. When taking the final leap out of his comfort zone, his eyes dart away from Akane and his hidden eloquence is stymied by inhibition—little cues that any inner monologue would only betray. You could almost laugh along with the moonlight scene, and indeed I actually did, not through any ill favour but through a known sense of familiar awkwardness that goes beyond mere sympathy.
Unsurprisingly, my views on the first three episodes are similar to Nick's: this is a study on the clash between amorousness and introversion that leaves anyone of a similar ilk quietly cheering for its characters by the sidelines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Well they were perfectly capable of holding conversations with their friends, but yeah they are painfully awkward with each other.

Are they? 90% of their dialog is in their own heads, and the rest of their communication is in text messages I have to pause the video to follow. Even with their friends they can't get much more out than, "Uh. Er, I have to be somewhere," and other grunts that mean yes or no.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Are they? 90% of their dialog is in their own heads, and the rest of their communication is in text messages I have to pause the video to follow. Even with their friends they can't get much more out than, "Uh. Er, I have to be somewhere," and other grunts that mean yes or no.

I don't know that they are the best conversationalists, but they did seem to be able to talk with their friends about most things. Things do get gummed up when certain subjects come up or when doing so might inconvenience their friends, even if their friends are perfectly okay with them going off on their own to further their romantic lives and not bringing it up probably inconvenienced them more, which seemed true to my experience of being an awkward teen, aside from the romantic life part.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, after episode 4, this is just too irritating to continue with. When the first thing out of his mouth wasn't, "the teacher took my phone," I just rolled my eyes, but when he compounded it with, "Some stuff happened," I could barely finish the episode.

From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, that this references Japanese culture and the constant politeness. Whether Kotarō was right or wrong, the fact remains that he didn't show up on time and he needs to apologize for it.

However, it appears in this case that wasn't what Akane was really upset about. She was more upset about Kotarō approaching Chinatsu for help as she had a complete misunderstanding of the relationship between those two (even though its clear Chinatsu likes Kotarō). This feeds into two things:

1) Akane is still a young teenager who is experiencing these things for the first time
2) Akane is very awkward in conversation which leads to misunderstandings easily

Not saying Kotarō is better, but he seems to be making strides to improve himself as he is acutely aware of his shortcomings when speaking to others. However, Kotarō, like Akane, is experiencing these situations for the first time as well, so reading the tone and signs of a conversation is difficult.

All in all, this is a pretty realistic dive into an adolescence's path to a relationship. This is done with a specific set of circumstances and personality quirks on both sides which make it different from other shows that attempt to cover the same topic.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
So, is the little skit at the end of ep 4 trying tell us that Ryoko finds Roman adorable, like a little puppy?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Nick in the Episode 5 review wrote:
I liked how both of this show's “rivals,” Hira and Tsuneki

Uh I think Nick confused this one with the last romance he reviewed, Seiren. The female "rival" is Chinatsu not Tsuneki.

I didn't notice the Muhammad Ali poster before. That certainly explains the boxing.

That scene where he is dancing during the drum practice (surely part of the performance) was nicely done, though it would have been funny if he lightly tapped the drum at the end, to contrast such a long buildup with a meek result.

Speaking of funny, I wasn't sure about those shorts at first, but they have been pretty funny, especially this week. My favorite part was when Akane's father, after not approving of her older sister's boyfriend despite his surprising properness, was won over by a small stuffed penguin. Though the others were pretty good too.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Nick in the Episode 5 review wrote:
I liked how both of this show's “rivals,” Hira and Tsuneki

Uh I think Nick confused this one with the last romance he reviewed, Seiren. The female "rival" is Chinatsu not Tsuneki.

Fix'd.
slau783

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Speaking of funny, I wasn't sure about those shorts at first, but they have been pretty funny, especially this week. My favorite part was when Akane's father, after not approving of her older sister's boyfriend despite his surprising properness, was won over by a small stuffed penguin.

The best part is that it squeaks when he squeezes it. Guess that habit runs in the family.
Fhoo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The CG characters really make me like this show less than I should. I'm a fan of cute young romance stories and the art is really appealing when it isn't being broken up by a dozen Sims characters with horrible robot walks. I'll still keep watching because most of the show is pretty great at what it's trying to do, but I doubt I'll ever not get mad at an episode because of the background characters as long as they are so obvious.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Fhoo wrote:
The CG characters really make me like this show less than I should.

While I do agree that atm said background characters move robotically, I think it is a step in the right direction. One thing I have always hated is those static scenes where they show a drawing and pan left to right for several seconds, at least those robotic students are moving giving the impression the scene is animated, not a still in time that should be relevant but it isn't. Given time they will learn how to do that scenes to look more organic.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Because of the way the director is handling the shots and visual cues of the main characters, I feel if I look at anything in the background for too long I will miss something with the main characters. This is causing me to overlook a good portion of the CG effects when in play.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
First thing, I absolutely love the shorts at the end. Perfection
Second, I like the difference between the parents. One set of parents are deeply involved and supportive while the others are sorta kept in the dark and the mom feels like it's a waste of time.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Man can I just say how sad it is that most modern anime don't use insert songs anymore? It's a travesty. Insert songs add so much to scenes and I wish more shows used them.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
The reviewer seemed to think that the jealously​ stuff was just the show going for cheap drama but I think there was more to it than that.

I think Chinatsu was consciously or subconsciously trying to wedge between them and get Akane to pair off with sports guy (forgot his name). These are very young kids that barely know how love works. It seems logical that Chinatsu might think Akane could simply "change her mind" if she spent time with the other guy. Her lack of speaking up when the other girls were playing match maker (she knows Akane is dating already) as well as her apology (imo) to Sports Guy for using him for her plan lend me to believe our take away wasn't to be simple jealousy/insecurity drama for the main characters, but a look at how these things can get tangled with long standing friendships and make nice people (Chinatsu is a good person!) act irrationally and even a little evil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4