• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsukigakirei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
^Well, all is fair in love and war?

I don't think Chinatsu did anything "evil". She probably just wanted Hira to distract Akane while she confessed to Kotarou (which she told Akane about) but ultimately couldn't do it.
To me Kotarou following Akane and Hira around was way more irritating. If Hira had confressed, i'm sure she would have been completely capable of turning him down herself and didn't need her possessive boyfriend come to her rescue... Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
Chinatsu was totally trying to steal her friend's boyfriend, and she brought Hira in to give an alternative to Akane. I think it is going a bit too strong to say Chinatsu was being evil though, she is still kind of my favourite character. The problem was on that neither party of Akane and Kotarou had really done anything to set boundaries that they were in a relationship, and yet were having cute moments with someone else who has a crush on them.

The pain Hira and Chinatsu got was pretty hard, but it was something they had to go through, it being more than Chinatsu already knew of the situation.

In terms of animation, there also sprinkles of rotoscoping in there, and I would say in places where it seems to sketch out things that seemed more directly be taken from real life like a poster. Although it is then interesting that something I saw started in the re-cap episode and has been kept, is that the OP has removed the live actions/rotoscoped section, and replaced it with more traditionally animated scenes.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
In fairness to Chinatsu, I think it was also partly Akane and Kotarou's fault for not being honest about their relationship and setting clear boundaries to begin with. There was no reason for them to keep it a secret and it's not like they suffered any societal repercussions for their relationship and they just ended up hurting their friends and classmates. Akane's sister even warned her about this but Akane kind of lead her friend on by not setting clear boundaries from the start. We'll see from here if Chinatsu can move on with her life, and I still enjoy the show, but I found the whole secret relationship thing to be kind of pointless and there just to be over-dramatic.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
In fairness to Chinatsu, I think it was also partly Akane and Kotarou's fault for not being honest about their relationship and setting clear boundaries to begin with. There was no reason for them to keep it a secret and it's not like they suffered any societal repercussions for their relationship and they just ended up hurting their friends and classmates. Akane's sister even warned her about this but Akane kind of lead her friend on by not setting clear boundaries from the start. We'll see from here if Chinatsu can move on with her life, and I still enjoy the show, but I found the whole secret relationship thing to be kind of pointless and there just to be over-dramatic.

All of this falls into their age and first time experience with relationships. I know when I got into my first one, we didn't tell anyone and we ended up breaking up before it became anything super serious. Sometimes its good not to say anything in an early relationship if you're unsure if it would go anywhere. By coming out and saying you're in a relationship, its official and there's a new level added on and the complexities that come with it.

However for these kids, its a brand new experience and I'm sure there's some culturally relevant aspects that I may not understand being an American watching this.
FridBoh

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
What I do not understand is why Chinatsu cries. Didn’t she already realize that Kotarou and Akane are in a relationship after the conversation and hints she got from Akane? Shouldn’t it be clear for her that Kotarou is deeply interested in Akane after he requested Chinatsu’s phone to contact Akane during that class trip?

An interesting topic that was touched in the review was that a relationship is only real if it is made public. If we turn this statement upside down this means that a relationship is not existent if it is kept as a secret. On first thought, I would oppose and state that a relationship is only relevant if the partner agrees on its existence. However, human romantic relationships don’t appear to work this way in a social context. A secret relationship is always vulnerable to “attacks” from outside. The environment would perceive the secret partners as single and possibly try to hit on them. Only a firm partner would stand up for his significant other and refuse any approach. Further, the other partner must have a profound trust. And exactly here is where Chinatsu takes advantage of. Akane and Kotarou are living kind of an ephemeral thing they have for each other with no clear bounds and lack of assertiveness. Bad for Chinatsu that Kotarou, probably unconsciously, anticipates her maneuver and fends her attack by making his relationship public, thereby sealing away Akane and himself from rivals. The fact that Chinatsu used “sports guy” (Hira) to test Akane’s resolution is pretty manipulative and would pose her in a line among the most evil anime characters ever, if she wasn’t so cute and vulnerable herself.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
FridBoh wrote:
The fact that Chinatsu used “sports guy” (Hira) to test Akane’s resolution is pretty manipulative and would pose her in a line among the most evil anime characters ever, if she wasn’t so cute and vulnerable herself.

...okay. Either you haven't watched much anime or your definition of "evil" is rather...unique.

I didn't really get why everybody would make such a fuss about their relationship, it felt like this was only put in to retroactively justify their stupid secrecy...but well, the rest of the episode was cute enough.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
I hope their relationship makes stays strong. This is too comfy to end any other way.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The emphasis on using visual devices to signify developments in Akane and Kotarou's relationship—often things as ordinary as sticking plasters or banknotes—just about manages to steer this show clear from anything trite or maudlin. Episode seven's kiss is effective not just because it is an important gesture in its own right, but because it follows and signifies the achievements of exchanging gifts and overcoming physical distance. The viewer can appreciate every antecedent step leading up to it, along with the unspoken psychological importance of each.

What direction will this show take next? Continuing to gradually create a functional and confident couple will cease to be as effective as the last two episodes were, whereas the introduction of melodrama would hardly suit the tone. As much as I dote on this story's gentle character, and as much as its highlights are a simple and unmitigated delight, I reckon that some manner of directorial risk needs to be taken soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Been one of my two favorites of the season and probably most likely to finish strongest of the two. Glad to see it get number two in the rankings for episode 10.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Series best forgotten.

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
algoshuffler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
There were several parts of episode 11 that almost felt agonizing to watch. I was reminded too much of the dreaded parent-teacher conferences where your parents discovered that you've been doing things you probably shouldn't be doing. I love this series for its attention to realism.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
My god, the last episode went done right. Koutarou didn't get plot armor which magically get him pass the exam. He ended up separated from Akane but nothing that can stop them together until they get married. This is how 5cm Per Second should ended.

Somehow this is my anime of the season. It is underrated series but screw that.
algoshuffler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about the finale. They went through pointless melodrama with Chinatsu confessing to Kotarou, and Akane getting angry about it. In the end, they just somehow stay together. The conflict of Akane moving to Chiba was not really resolved in a satisfying way. I like the 5 cm per second ending much better. It's a great finale, but one I have some problems with.

Also it's kinda funny how they pulled a Tamako Love Story.
BethanyP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
It's clear that the relationship takes effort to work from the messages over the end credits, but ... I think that should really have been in the episode proper. The episode was a bit jumbled - I suppose the point was to show that Akane has insecurities that she doesn't know how to express and Kotarou doesn't know how to deal with (Fair enough), but it ended up looking as if the writers were trying to tease us right to the end, instead.

But what the hell, I really enjoyed this anime. It's an everyday sort of story with a happy ending and it doesn't make any apologies for it
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
algoshuffler wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the finale. They went through pointless melodrama with Chinatsu confessing to Kotarou, and Akane getting angry about it. In the end, they just somehow stay together.

Honestly, I wonder if this is more of a general reflection on Japanese society and how they deal with multiple people liking the same person. Besides, Chinatsu stated earlier in the series, directly to Akane, that she was still determined to confess despite knowing the result. We see this plenty in anime where character can't move on in their personal life without making that one confession. Something specific to holding onto regret just doesn't sit right with characters (again wonder if this is a reflection on the culture).

That aside, the only real issue I had was what the author of the article felt, the ending. It was a bit too happy for what we all know is pretty unrealistic and it contradicts how the entire series kind of ran. The series did well to be a pretty realistic showing, to some degree, of how relationships are at the age regardless of what country you live in. To turn around and make a pretty unrealistic ending goes against the grain of the show.

With that said, I can live with it. It definitely made me happy to see those credit still shots of Kotarou's and Akane's progression from teen to adult and the progression of the relationship. Considering my own relationship with my wife was a long distance one early on, I can understand the amount of work that goes into something like that and would be curious of the situations Kotarou and Akane struggled with over the years until they married.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4