• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Streaming Platform Adds GATE Dub, GARO Live-Action Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
HIDIVE is becoming an interesting proposition. It is great that Sentai is putting their library and dubs in there, and the current subscription rate is a good deal. HIDIVE also raises some questions about the supposed Sentai-Amazon partnership. I imagine that Amazon would still have exclusive simulcasts from Sentai. But I wonder if Anime Strike might become an even lesser attractive service if the more affordable HIDIVE will have the same shows 3 months later.

At the end of the day as a big fan of Sentai Filmworks, I will be happy as long as they keep making money, and this allows them to again license 30+ new shows every year.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
HIDIVE is becoming an interesting proposition. It is great that Sentai is putting their library and dubs in there, and the current subscription rate is a good deal. HIDIVE also raises some questions about the supposed Sentai-Amazon partnership. I imagine that Amazon would still have exclusive simulcasts from Sentai. But I wonder if Anime Strike might become an even lesser attractive service if the more affordable HIDIVE will have the same shows 3 months later.

At the end of the day as a big fan of Sentai Filmworks, I will be happy as long as they keep making money, and this allows them to again license 30+ new shows every year.

Don't forget that the spring simulcasts from Strike were only added outside the US and Canada. Those markets can still only access them on Strike. We still don't know when the exclusivity period for Amazon will end. We also don't know if it will cover the show's dubs either, for those that will be dubbed.

The summer and fall seasons will be really telling as to whether or not Sentai will continue with simulcasts on Strike. I think there is still a really good chance, as Amazon has deep pockets, and HIDIVE was in the works when the Amazon deal was struck.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
This was something I was curious about, how soon new Sentai dubs can be streamed. It's theoretically a good idea but it's also the kind of idea that would put DVD producers on edge. It's a dying medium, I guess... up until the point where the Japanese licensor yanks the rights but we don't like to talk about that, huh?

The next step would be stream only dubs... not like the simul stunt Funi is doing but an actually quality produced dub just for streaming. Less "Look, we are so fast but we all sound the same. Wait, what just happened? Maybe we could have done that differently.", more nuance.

What's the problem, acting? Or is it direction? Or is it they only have a few episodes to localize a role?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

The next step would be stream only dubs... not like the simul stunt Funi is doing but an actually quality produced dub just for streaming. Less "Look, we are so fast but we all sound the same. Wait, what just happened? Maybe we could have done that differently.", more nuance.

Stream only dubs are already a thing. Netflix produces dubs for their shows just to stream. In some cases, another company has licensed home video rights and been able to use the dub, but that was not its original intention.

You also have the dub of Gintama on CR. It was designed primarily for a streaming site, and may or may not see a physical media release.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
This is good I loved Gate, but I'm living pay check to pay check right now so its nice to view the dub for only $3/month. I decided to cave and get a sub even though I hate watching anime on the computer, but I did see a comment on their facebook page they are working on an X Box app so I can see a PS4 app being worked on as well.

It seems the site is down again tried to go on it and it didn't load. Hi Dive is really off to a rocky start.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
While I like the idea of more anime being streamed legally, I don't care for several streaming services. Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Funimation were plenty. Now, Anime Strike and HiDive have entered into the market in a fairly short amount of time. Plus, I'm not too thrilled that Anime Strike more or less has a stranglehold on anything Nanoha. No news yet if HiDive will get it, though I doubt it. HiDive is at least reasonably priced, unlike Anime Strike's requirement of Amazon Prime and a subscription cost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1