Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Clockwork Planet


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
C+ seems right.

The anime is still down playing how much of a gear head Naoto is,though episode 3 started to show it more clearly.
Flashback exposition,for a scene that just happened is putting me off a bit,just show them trashing that big bad automaton up. Trying not to show just how overpowered, RyuZU ,her sisters and ,to a point, Halter are, is a possibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yttrbio
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 2921
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Look at it this way, James. At least the characters aren't describing everything in gear metaphors. Every other line about whether things mesh or not would be even more setting-appropriate here than in Hand Shakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James_Beckett



Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 102
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Look at it this way, James. At least the characters aren't describing everything in gear metaphors. Every other line about whether things mesh or not would be even more setting-appropriate here than in Hand Shakers.


If anyone in this show says the word "mesh", I'm liable to throw my computer right out the window 0_0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 1665
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
"We only have a few more minute to save the town, we'll have to shift gears!"

-Talk for yourself, I've already fix my problems, nothing is grinding my gear right now.

-Huh, I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

-At least I don't stick my fingers in the mechanism of everything I touch.

-This isn't the time to argue guys, the clock is ticking, the pendulum is swinging and the gears are turning.

-Well someone is gearing up for something great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 1651
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, my biggest complains have to do with the show's artistry and setting. Put plainly, this is not a pretty show. The character designs are generic, the art direction is bland and over-reliant on a flat color palette, and the animation ranges from mediocre to ugly. I can tolerate middling artistic qualities if the script works well enough, but many people will understandably be put off by the show's downright lazy visuals.


At least it isn't Sky Wizards level of bad and ugly. It seems like there is a potentially interesting story so I really hate seeing it dragged down by the visuals. However, the story doesn't seem like it is going to be great enough to ever really exceed that draw back. I think C is pretty fair, and I have a feeling I'd keep it there.

Nordhmmer wrote:
Flashback exposition,for a scene that just happened is putting me off a bit


Yeah, I wonder if that was done as a flash back in the LN or if that is a direction problem. It just felt really awkward to shift there after a break that ended with the main party in 'trouble'. It isn't like the report of their death had any weight whatsoever to it either because the series opened with a scene clearly past where we are now (not that I think there is much of a chance of a LN series like this killing off one of the girls anyway).

It seems like they were trying to be clever for the sake of being clever. It would have flowed much more smoothly if they just showed the fight, then showed them fake the call.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
SilverTalon01Yeah, I wonder if that was done as a flash back in the LN or if that is a direction problem. It just felt really awkward to shift there after a break that ended with the main party in 'trouble'. It isn't like the report of their death had any weight whatsoever to it either because the series opened with a scene clearly past where we are now (not that I think there is much of a chance of a LN series like this killing off one of the girls anyway).

It seems like they were trying to be clever for the sake of being clever. It would have flowed much more smoothly if they just showed the fight, then showed them fake the call


Well put.

Not familiar with the LN, but in the manga the scene goes with Halter beating the Goliath till it falls,RyuZu walks up to the Goliath as it recovers,she then quickly slices the Goliath in two,battle won kids rejoice, end page.Next page Marie states she has the idea of faking her death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoldenPincers



Joined: 24 Oct 2015
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
As a LN reader (for the 1st Volume only for now), the anime has the tendency of showing brief actions and the consequences, without really showing the "journey" to that consequence, unlike the source.
In the LN, when RyuZU activates Mute Scream, while there also is a sort of fight-skip, there is a very solid (and not long) description of what transpired and the effect to the other 3 characters. The skip-to-consequence also happens for when RyuZU falls off the aircraft onto Naoto's house (explanation on how/why it happened was skipped), when Marie thinks of faking her death (her reasoning behind it and showing her making the call were skipped), and when the "family affairs lead to the purge" is revealed (Marie's situation and relationship with other families and the military are skipped).
The LN has very solid world-building, which the anime sadly decided to cut off for the most part.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3700
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Look at it this way, James. At least the characters aren't describing everything in gear metaphors. Every other line about whether things mesh or not would be even more setting-appropriate here than in Hand Shakers.


If anyone in this show says the word "mesh", I'm liable to throw my computer right out the window 0_0


Hahahahahaha!! Laughing

Truly, the thought "This is so much better than that OTHER anime about gears" has crossed my mind many times. Anime hyper

I wouldn't call CP "ugly" though; the characters are cute enough? Certainly RyuZu's henshin in episode 03 was a pretty scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
James_Beckett



Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 102
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Look at it this way, James. At least the characters aren't describing everything in gear metaphors. Every other line about whether things mesh or not would be even more setting-appropriate here than in Hand Shakers.


If anyone in this show says the word "mesh", I'm liable to throw my computer right out the window 0_0


Hahahahahaha!! Laughing

Truly, the thought "This is so much better than that OTHER anime about gears" has crossed my mind many times. Anime hyper

I wouldn't call CP "ugly" though; the characters are cute enough? Certainly RyuZu's henshin in episode 03 was a pretty scene.


Yeah, I'd say the show's visual deficiencies are definitely more budgetary than fundamental. If this show had about 50% more money, it'd probably look pretty good.


Last edited by James_Beckett on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 297
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
As a LN reader (for the 1st Volume only for now), the anime has the tendency of showing brief actions and the consequences, without really showing the "journey" to that consequence, unlike the source.
In the LN, when RyuZU activates Mute Scream, while there also is a sort of fight-skip, there is a very solid (and not long) description of what transpired and the effect to the other 3 characters. The skip-to-consequence also happens for when RyuZU falls off the aircraft onto Naoto's house (explanation on how/why it happened was skipped), when Marie thinks of faking her death (her reasoning behind it and showing her making the call were skipped), and when the "family affairs lead to the purge" is revealed (Marie's situation and relationship with other families and the military are skipped).
The LN has very solid world-building, which the anime sadly decided to cut off for the most part.


Came here to say the same. The anime is doing a considerably bad job in adapting this, which is also the part I like the most in the original work. It just feels rushed and poorly explained.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WatcherZer



Joined: 29 Dec 2016
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
The premise is acknowledged, there is a line in the third episode 'Did you really think you could recreate a planet with just mechanical gears?'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500



Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 2291
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
While I didn't have the same questions, this episode did bring up some questions. Like how does gears rotating generate gravity? It's not like they are in a giant spinning space station (which is how you would create artificial gravity) but even if it was the rotation of the planet a) there wouldn't be separate systems for each city and b) the artificial gravity would be on the inside, not the surface. And anyways why doesn't a planet sized mass of gears generate if not as much gravity at least some single digit multiple of the Earth's gravity. Even if its density isn't high, it should have a similar mass to the moon at least. So why do they need gravity generators in the first place?

How does turning gears stop time or reverse energy? The only plausible explanation is "they're magic" which seems unsatisfactory. I am willing to put aside the question of how and where they got the metal and processed it to make a planet entirely of gears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I do not think Clockwork Planet's anime adaption is going to explain it's nut & bolts err world building premise-just go with "dude,because magic gears&sprockets".
This is not on the level of Re:Creators,my two cents Smile

For me,the episode just seemed to repeat what we've already seen,over-powered MCs who quickly overcome the same fights and repairs,even RyuZU's sacrifice & revival seemed tired.The transition to AnchoR's introduction gave me some hope for next week.

Finding Clockwork Planet works better in print so far,my other two cents Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaitoHajime101



Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 197
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
The part that made me laugh out of disbelief is when the leader of the group of guild clocksmiths was working with Halter to fight off the bots used his tools to drop gears on the bots, he said "Don't worry, I'll fix it later". The absurdity of this statement is laughable.

Question: "By destroying those gears, did that leader inadvertently cause another problem?"

The clocksmiths are so concerned with fixing small issues all around the planet to make sure events like what was in this arc doesn't occur, yet it was okay to break gears on purpose to help in a fight against robots?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WatcherZer



Joined: 29 Dec 2016
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well he would know what those particular gears did and whether they controlled a vital function. The criticality was the failures were in the Gravity generation system and their malfunction was causing gravity quakes which could grow in to a threat not just to the City but to other cities as well, though the extreme solution being undertaken by the Military to purge Tokyo rather than attempt to fix it was more of a plot by a Automata manufacturing company to discredit a notable guild family and potentially kill one its rising stars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group