• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Tyrant

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show for the most part, it has crazy humor and animation which reminds me of Binbogami ga!/Good Luck Girl! and a harem lead who's not a wet noodle. My fav is Shikimi who is one crazy mo-fo. More of her, please! This series is not my favorite of this season, but it's a good change of pace.
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
I'm enjoying this show for the most part, it has crazy humor and animation which reminds me of Binbogami ga!/Good Luck Girl! and a harem lead who's not a wet noodle. My fav is Shikimi who is one crazy mo-fo. More of her, please! This series is not my favorite of this season, but it's a good change of pace.

I dunno, I think they need to do more to flesh Shikimi out in the anime, its still early so maybe they will. At this point she's just coming across as crazy and sadistic, the backstory the manga gives her helps explain very well why she is the way she is, but I don't know if the anime will even get there.

In fact my money is on them only getting as far as spoiler[Guri falling, becoming a demon and Seji managing to get her back]

NefCanuck
ICO44

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Personally this show is starting to bore me. The jokes have grown old and just like Nisekoi their relationship is not gonna go anywhere.
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
Personally this show is starting to bore me. The jokes have grown old and just like Nisekoi their relationship is not gonna go anywhere.

I think part of the problem may stem from the fact that there's no way that they have enough time to actually build the characters up at all like the manga, in fact I fear in the next episode the whole spoiler[Akane being forced to break up with Seiji] arc is going to get at most 5 minutes where it could easily take up an episode with backstory.

We'll see...

NefCanuck
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Yuzu's use of "mama-sama" cracks me up every time.

I agree with the review about the ending. Also it would suck to see Guri get her feelings hurt, she's too lovable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
Yuzu's use of "mama-sama" cracks me up every time.

I think that it is a good reflection of her odd little sister type character.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense Seiji would play the tree in the play, because like most trees, Seiji contributes nothing to a conversation, has little meaningful interactions with the people around him, and is easily ignored, and has very little in the way of personality.

However trees provide necessary oxygen, so at least I'd understand if several people constantly gathered around and blathered about why they loved the tree.
Taifood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It makes sense Seiji would play the tree in the play, because like most trees, Seiji contributes nothing to a conversation, has little meaningful interactions with the people around him, and is easily ignored, and has very little in the way of personality.

Seiji is what I hate the most about Love Tyrant. Yes the show is funny, but it's not subverting tropes like a true parody should. It's just adding humor to the tired BS we see every season. Seiji tries to be nice to Yuzu and every character he meets when they all shit on him constantly, yet Akane (a [expletive] beautiful redhead) who falls head over heels for him all the time is held at arms length. Seiji will never stop pissing me off. It's this harem garbage I swear.

I know some would say "well it's a harem show this happens. If you don't like it then stop watching." I agree that there might be those out there who enjoy this kind of thing, but I've been watching just to see if the humor would actually be self aware. Turns out I was wrong.

spoiler[The latest episode (11) only exacerbates this issue further. When Seiji finally speaks the truth about how Guri is an annoying brat, the show makes him seem like some asshole in the eyes of Yuzu when he should have been truthful from the start. When we finally see Seiji not be a walking harem, no personality trope he gets punished for it. That isn't funny at all. It's actually painful to watch.][/spoiler]
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Taifood wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Seiji is what I hate the most about Love Tyrant. Yes the show is funny, but it's not subverting tropes like a true parody should. It's just adding humor to the tired BS we see every season. Seiji tries to be nice to Yuzu and every character he meets when they all shit on him constantly, yet Akane (a [expletive] beautiful redhead) who falls head over heels for him all the time is held at arms length. Seiji will never stop pissing me off. It's this harem garbage I swear.

I know some would say "well it's a harem show this happens. If you don't like it then stop watching." I agree that there might be those out there who enjoy this kind of thing, but I've been watching just to see if the humor would actually be self aware. Turns out I was wrong.

spoiler[The latest episode (11) only exacerbates this issue further. When Seiji finally speaks the truth about how Guri is an annoying brat, the show makes him seem like some asshole in the eyes of Yuzu when he should have been truthful from the start. When we finally see Seiji not be a walking harem, no personality trope he gets punished for it. That isn't funny at all. It's actually painful to watch.][/spoiler]

You don't have to just subvert tropes to be a funny parody of a genre, sometimes playing right into the trope is what makes the joke work. Also the reasons Seiji is being show to be the ass in the situation is because he was blunt and rude, there's ways to tell someone they're annoying you without being so direct, also there's such a thing as just accepting that as part of a persons personality, you can not like certain parts of people at till be attracted or be their friend.
Taifood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
You don't have to just subvert tropes to be a funny parody of a genre, sometimes playing right into the trope is what makes the joke work. Also the reasons Seiji is being show to be the ass in the situation is because he was blunt and rude, there's ways to tell someone they're annoying you without being so direct, also there's such a thing as just accepting that as part of a persons personality, you can not like certain parts of people at till be attracted or be their friend.
When there are 5 billion harem protagonists, it becomes unfunny to play along with horribly written tropes. Accepting that Seiji is a moron? I mean yeah I can do that. It's one of the many tropes belonging to the harem protagonist.

The issue with Seiji being too direct is that he held back the entire season. Don't you see the problem here? There's this build up that we've been waiting for. For us to see Guri finally be told off for her antics. What happens to Seiji when he does? Labeled as a criminal.

That's a terrible way to do things.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Love Tyrant, I hope they make more someday, the stuff that comes after this is good and helps to tie up some of the things with Akane and Yuzu's families in a fun way, specifically it explains a lot more about their Dad.

Unfortunately there are only 45 chapters and this animated up to 33 so it's a little awkward unless they waited a bit.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
From what anyone can tell, is there any censorship that would make it worth waiting for the BD release before checking out?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
^There isn't really any fanservice that was censored for broadcast so you probably don't need to wait.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^There isn't really any fanservice that was censored for broadcast so you probably don't need to wait.

Good to know, thanks =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2