• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
Personally I'd prefer he stay a "smug genocidal bastard" if the alternative is some type of redemption story where Charioce is "cured" by the love of a woman. Hopefully that's too sappy for the Bahamut staff.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Personally I'd prefer he stay a "smug genocidal bastard" if the alternative is some type of redemption story where Charioce is "cured" by the love of a woman. Hopefully that's too sappy for the Bahamut staff.

I can definitely agree with that. On the other hand, i wouldn't want him to be just evil for evil's sake either. I'm still hoping for a good backstory which isn't merely "seeking revenge for mother's death" or whatever...

Mugaro seems to have turned into a completely different person/god. I'd hoped that he would eventually free Azazel from his torture chamber, but at this point, i wonder if he even remembers him...
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 12

I didn't like the back and forth between the prison break and the buildup to the angel attack. I just felt that going back and forth was actually pulling some of the energy away from the prison escape. I would have preferred more consistent high energy escape antics than the slow gathering of armies, speechafying and whatnot. It just wasn't that exciting of an escape to me, since they've been dragging it out the last 2-3 episodes. The angels attacking did look good though.

I got a feeling though that the angels are getting suckered in and most of them are going to be wiped out.

Review wrote:
However, this episode's real shipping moment was between Kaisar and Rita. Kaisar uses a function in his prosthetic hand to break out of his cell, and when Favaro points out that that function was put in there by Rita, and that she worries about him, Kaisar realizes how much she cares for him. D'awwwww.
Heh, did you miss the part when they all meet up with Kaisar and Jeanne greeting each other while Rita looked like she was doing the evil eye glare? Smile

Quote:
I feel that this may also support my “Charioce is trying to protect Nina” theory?...Look, I'm trying to make him and Nina work here.
Why? Do you have something for hunky genocidal despots? Wink Laughing
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Ep. 12
Quote:
I feel that this may also support my “Charioce is trying to protect Nina” theory?...Look, I'm trying to make him and Nina work here.
Why? Do you have something for hunky genocidal despots? Wink Laughing

She's ready to go down with this ship, apparently. Wink Well, Charioce still has a full season to redeem himself, though building ominous weapons of mass destruction doesn't look like a very clever first step in that direction...

Loved the prison break action and the reunion of Nina and Favaro. Rita rocks!

So now that we've got this over with, where's Azazel?!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But the prison underneath the device might have also gotten wrecked by it surfacing?

Seemed like it. They wouldn't have evacuated the guards and device building staff if it were safe to shelter in place. They didn't seem to evacuate the prisoners so...impromptu death sentences for everyone? Well it's not like he was known for respecting due process.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I didn't like the back and forth between the prison break and the buildup to the angel attack. I just felt that going back and forth was actually pulling some of the energy away from the prison escape.

They were kind of clashing between two different atmospheres. One had Rage of Bahamut's homage to Western action movies, the other had Rage of Bahamut's clash of the heavens with huge scale. You can go back to the first episode of the series, where it started with Bahamut being an earth shattering monster with heaven and hell fighting, which then transitioned into the first Favaro and Kaisar fight on horseback to see that they have a bit of precedent, but the constant back and forward did take some of the energy away. Personally I still enjoyed both parts separately, it was the show going back to some of its strongest and or most exciting stuff.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I loved Nina running from the explosions Laughing Little stuff like that is what makes me enjoy this series so much. This arc dragged on way too long, but the payoff was worth it.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
when Favaro points out that that function was put in there by Rita, and that she worries about him, Kaisar realizes how much she cares for him. D'awwwww

Except the hand spoiler[explodes]. A very Rita-like show of affection, I guess?
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Personally I'd prefer he stay a "smug genocidal bastard" if the alternative is some type of redemption story where Charioce is "cured" by the love of a woman.

If he loses the war against the gods, he might have stone mind of redemption arc involving humiliation and survival. I doubt that is what will happen though. Japan seems far too in love with triumphant bishounen villains for that twist. Besides, Gabriel is the antagonist with all the cards on the table, while Charioce is the inscrutable one. It would be shocking to see Charioce lose.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
Quote:
I also hope that Azazel comes back soon. Something's been missing ever since he left. (That thing is tight leather pants.)

Word! Cool

And where the hell is Favaro (again)?!

The review also pretty much sums up my feeling about the Nina/Charioce ship. Yes, they look cute together, but i need a bit more than that to get on board...

But dragon grandma was awesome, she's a looker indeed!Very Happy
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I continue to not really get people who don't get the Nina/Charioce relationship. To me it's clear why they have a connection and it works really well. I'm not saying everyone should like it (I do, though), but to me it feels like people are expecting romances to go according to certain templates, and are at a loss when there's one that doesn't fit these templates. And people seem to be adamant on interpreting it as a huge, earth-shaking romance, and then criticizing it for not working... even though it's obviously not supposed to be one. (They hugged! Didn't even kiss or anything! And then they separated and neither of them is spending too much time pining after the other. It's a romantic connection, sure, but it's not exactly Romeo & Dragon Juliet.) And the "just because they danced once" complaint is like... did people not notice them meeting and interacting before that, clearly as romantic set-up? How Nina had different reactions to him than to other hot guys, and Charioce clearly found her charming? (Knowing him, how many people do you think he would help out?)

But then people keep claiming that the interactions between Nina and Azazel were "obviously romantic" in nature even though they were anything but, so I guess I just don't get the way some people watch this show.

(Plus there's about 90% chance that Charioce will die in the end, anyway.)

By the way, as for Jeanne, the archangels she killed were trying to contain Bahamut at the time. Their death by her hands played a huge part in Bahamut breaking free. She's kind of responsible for what followed, including the death of Nina's father.

Last edited by SHD on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I continue to not really get people who don't get the Nina/Charioce relationship. To me it's clear why they have a connection and it works really well.

I get it, I'm just getting tired of it. It's boring, and "bored" is the one thing a show like this should never make me feel.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
SHD wrote:
I continue to not really get people who don't get the Nina/Charioce relationship. To me it's clear why they have a connection and it works really well.

I get it, I'm just getting tired of it. It's boring, and "bored" is the one thing a show like this should never make me feel.

Good thing then that it's barely a side plot, yeah? Chances are they're not going to even meet for another 5-10 episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I think what kind of saves the Nina x Charioce thing is that it is at least being somewhat aware. Nina openly questioned why she would be feeling this way when she should hate the guy, that she openly hates that other side who has done all the horrible things. But she can't really control her emotions here. It is her first love, you could bring up all sorts of question of whether it is wise or not, I don't think the narrative is just removing he topic from discussion. And to add on, I think there is hint of Nina beyond that genki attitude of hers, that it is the real reason she sort of rampages.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
This was such a great breather episode. I love Nina, and could forgive her a lot of faults. Part of being a confused teenager can be falling in love with just the wrong person, and she is very much aware that she shouldn't be attracted to him anymore. I think she's just as confused as we are (as per her conversation with Jeanne in the bath), and that makes her feelings more believable.
All her other interactions at home were great, too. I loved the scene where she pressed Jeanne for details on what her relationship with Mugaro's father was like--if only she knew! Seeing her interact with her "siblings" (the orphans and kids of transient workers her mom took in) was wonderful. Her mother is a saint as well! And poor Jeanne, being reminded of what she lost when she lost Mugaro. That comforting scene was really nice, and gave an extra dimension to Nina's transformation problem, which I appreciated. And then we got Grandma Dragon, who let us know that she assisted the gods way back when they first separated from their past alliance with the demons--I expect that history to come up again.
Meanwhile, the ship I'm most interested in is Kaiser/Jeanne. Sorry, Rita, but I saw the way they looked at each other during the jailbreak. I think Kaiser thinks of you as his undead little sister, which must be rough (not her fault she can't grow up).
Where the heck (or the heaven) is Favaro?
Finally, Chaorice is just full of contradictions, isn't he? We still don't know what his origins are. He and Nina are superstrong teens in a weakling human world, and he definitely doesn't have much interactions with peers of any sort--he has no real friends, so maybe he's attracted to Nina because he's lonely and she's so disarming in her charm? It's hard to get a read on the guy, I hope they give us details on his backstory soon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 23