• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Olympus

Minor nitpick, it's Heaven, unless Gabriel's Greek now. Wink
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not shocked by the fact that Nina's still attracted to Charioce, there's countless examples of people trying to ignore the atrocities their loved ones have committed. Hell the girlfriend of Ted Bundy, aka the murderer of dozens of young girls, stood by her man's side until almost the end of his life despite all evidence he was a remorseless monster staring her in the face.
What Charioce/Nina ship comes down to for me is how it plays out. If they run off into the sunset to live happily ever after I'm going to be peeved unless they pull a stunning redemption arc out of their ass. As it stands we hardly know the guy, just look at the arguments in this forum about what is actions even mean. When he spoke to Nina in the prison was he mocking her? Genuine? Concerned? Bored? A bit of each?
At least with Azazel I understood his motivations and he had several instances of showing he had a heart, (Such as taking care of Mugaro). But Charioce? What the hell is his damage?
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
Quote:
It looks like Azzie's been freed from the whipping tower and now fights in the gladiatorial arena. I guess that's a step up, but that doesn't matter to him – he's still openly contemplating the purpose of continuing to live.

Not sure Azazel would agree with it being "a step up" since now he's being forced to kill his own kind in order to survive and it's clearly getting to him (and i doubt it will make him like humans any better)...

Which brings me to the show's predicament that all sides in this conflict seem to be way past wanting to "talk it out" by now, so i really wonder what it will take to resolve it. Personally, i would love to see Nina and Mugaro working together since they are both kind of stuck in the middle...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Personally, i would love to see Nina and Mugaro working together since they are both kind of stuck in the middle...

The new OP has the cliched "heroes-stand-on-a-cliff-and-look-out-to-the-horizon" scene. However the "heroes" in this case are an unlikely group. Nina, Favaro and Kaisar are joined by Azazel and Charioce! No Jeanne, no El, no Rita. At first I thought Jeanne and El might be joining the angels side against Charioce, but El's comments about Gabriel at the end of episode fifteen make that plot line less likely. Who is the enemy if the allies are such a motley crew? The mysterious ones who came before? A revived (by whom?) Bahamut?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
You know it makes sense prison in heaven is Snake Park.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
Quote:
It's finally time for Azazel to return as a dignified member of the cast, but first he has to get beaten up by Kaisar.

That looked more like Azazel trying to get Kaisar to kill him. He probably considered to keep on living like this a fate worse than death and Kaisar to be someone worthy (and willing) to kill him. But fortunately, Favaro and Rita/Rocky are the coolest (though Favaro didn't look so cool in that outfit...)! Very Happy

What was Charioce thinking, btw? I wish he had more than one (or maybe two?) expression...did their excape actually bother him? He didn't seem to put too much effort into pursueing them at the very least.

Anyway, now that we've got Team Humans/Demon/Zombie(+Hand) and Team (Half-)Dragon/(Demi-)God/Gods ready for action, things are sure to get exciting!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the part where Nina, Bacchus and Hamsa were communicating by signals.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Gabriella wrote:
What was Charioce thinking, btw? I wish he had more than one (or maybe two?) expression...did their excape actually bother him? He didn't seem to put too much effort into pursueing them at the very least.

It seemed to me that he was initially bored with how the fight/execution was going, and that he was amused by the escape...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
kinda random, but does Hamsa add w's into some of this words? It sounds like he's pronouncing Bacchus as Bwacchus
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
kinda random, but does Hamsa add w's into some of this words? It sounds like he's pronouncing Bacchus as Bwacchus

Yeah he does. I think they're trying to make him sound more ducklike but more naturally than just adding the equivalent of quack quack or duck to the end (not that doing that sort of thing can't be done to good effect).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Ep. 17

Look he's playing with the demon children, kwaiiii!!!!
Charioce: "Bwahaha! When you whelps get big enough I will feed you to the arena for my entertainment!"

With Nina now...
Charioce: "Sniff, sniff. I have a tragic backstory which I'm not telling, but I'll say that I have a reason for what I do and its very Lelouch-like."
Nina: Going all Eva Braun, "I'll help! Me, me! I'll do it. I love me some bad boys!"

Laughing
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
I very disagree with the reviewer. Love is not rational. It doesn't really matter how he treat other people (hint: he is the king, not your democratic elected president btw). And he is not just a king, he is a ruler of humanity in unfriendly world, where angels, demons and dragons exists.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
^Well, i very much agree with the reviewer. I don't even mind the romance itself, it's kind of cute, but the way Charioce's character is presented is really frustrating. At this point, "Chris" and "Charioce" are so different that that the split personality explanation would make the most sense. Of course, there's an important reason for him committing all these atrocities which is somehow connected to his dead mommy (i sure didn't see that one coming... Rolling Eyes ) but he can't tell Nina about it just yet because there are still too many episodes left...or something like that.

That aside, this is still one of the shows i'm most looking forward to every week (even though there's never enough Favaro and Azazel disappeared...again.).

Last edited by Merida on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's in this demon disguise that Nina runs into “Chris” and takes him on a tour of the town, where he begins to sympathize with the poor demon children (whose plight he 100% caused).
Haha, yeah, when that football scene started I felt like the show turned into a Coke ad Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who didn't think his dead mom is the reason he's doing this, or even the reason he offered for doing it.

Back in episode 15 we got a scene of all his priests working away doing something tiring, and a cryptic conversation about "Eibos' seal" being about to break, and that it would probably not be a good thing if a dimensional rift occurred before the seal broke. I couldn't tell if they were trying to rev up the god-hand machine again before the seal broke on its own, or if they were deliberately trying to break the seal, let alone what it's holding back. What was clear was that Charioce was planning to use his machine again once the seal is broken, presumably against whatever the seal was sealing, even if it killed him. Maybe Eibos' seal is what's locking up Bahamut, though I don't know where that name would have come from.

While I still don't think it's going to be enough to redeem his genocidal actions, that sounds like it's about a whole lot more than mommy issues. "Bahamut killed my mother" was just his pick-up line in a cemetery.

I loved Nina's moustache, and Rita's deadpan, "You call that a disguise?" while dressed in her finest Halloween attire. On the other hand, giving your girlfriend a dead demon's (or dragon?!) claw to wear isn't doing your image any favors, Chris. That's downright creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 23