• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm also wondering why Nina is putting up with this at all, since she could break those cuffs with a shrug. Did she forget she's like super strong?

I think it's her Lawful Good nature, and understanding the situation she is in. Sure, she could break the cuffs, but what then? If she tried to escape during the trial, there were a lot of soldiers there who could have overpowered her; escaping the prison is even more difficult, since it's an unfamiliar place, full of guards, and is surrounded by water. (I guess she can swim as we've seen her in water before, but still it would make her a very easy target!) And I guess she wouldn't want to leave without Kaisar and Azazel.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ SHD: Lol at that Basara fight. They switch horses and then Yukimura does a double-somersault with the horse.

Right? And they do much of the fight standing on the horses! It's so stupid but so awesome. I love Production IG's Sengoku Basara anime so much, they retain the "crazy silly fun" element that even later games lack to an extent, never mind that terrible Judge End anime. And the animation is so much fun, too - it even has little details like Yukimura losing control of his (well, Masamune's) horse for a moment, or the horses actually fighting as well... (They're snarling and headbutting each other! I want whatever the director was on when he came up with this.)

Also, it's kind of hilairous to hear Keiji's battle cry in the end, this being the Bahamut topic I can almost hear "CHAAAARIOOOOOOOOOCE!!!!"
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
If anyone thinks this is an episode with "issues" then you didn't watch Bahamut Genesis properly, because between episode 4 and 8 the show really strugged to look half as good as its first three episodes. Hell, at times even the lip synching would screw up, ep. 4 is almost unwatchable.

Not to mention that living legend Hironori Tanaka provided for that super cool three-way fight of Kaisar, Azazel and Charioce.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agreed with everybody above. I had no issues with this episode, pacing, animation, or tone-wise. I mean, torture and defeat aren't supposed to be fun, and this isn't a comedy (though it has lots of fun elements), so that criticism baffles me.

I guess my main complaint is the contrivance of putting Nina opposite Jean, who I had assumed was cloistered away from everybody, rather than as just another inmate in Cell Block H. I'm also wondering why Nina is putting up with this at all, since she could break those cuffs with a shrug. Did she forget she's like super strong?

@ SHD: Lol at that Basara fight. They switch horses and then Yukimura does a double-somersault with the horse.

I think she can break normal cuffs, but humans use some kind of magic that only God-like beings such as Mugaro can break it, so maybe that's it. I assume that Nina can still break out of prison with strenght alone, but possibly Jean has the power to unlock those because as far as I can see, she doesn't have those cuffs on her.

Or this was the weaker link of the chain in which we get the full cast back for the mid-season finale because I'm sure Favaro will wreck the hell out of this city, a shame that it had this small spot of contrivance after five to six episodes of pure excellence.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Agreed with everyone else on episode 8, this was a perfectly fine looking episode, and even had some nice sakuga to go with it. The pacing and tone were also totally what I would expect given the nature of the situation and the fact that it's a two cour series. Honesty, I think this was a really good, well-done episode.
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
Is decompression someone's word for the day? Laughing

There were definitely some pacing issues. The section where the gazes went back and forth like in The Good The Bad and The Ugly, trying to ratchet up tension, was a little bit off. Each shot seem to linger just a hair too long and it made it a little tedious for me. AoT did that way better this week.

And there was a drop in the character animation in places. Kaisar look like a teenager in some shots, and Nina just wasn't animated as well as she'd been in past episodes. There was still a lot of good mixed in like in the shots of Heaven.

I'm so so about Favaro coming back. I like him but I don't want him to take over the story from the characters that I've come to like in this sequel. But I'm all for any excitement that he could interject.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Plot decompression!? The pace is perfect, talk about biased... you should add more tobbaco to your weed man.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well, at the very least, it was nice seeing spoiler[Cerebus] again; still as bonkers a character as ever.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
I kind of cheered when she showed up, have been kind of waiting if she would.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I kind of cheered when she showed up, have been kind of waiting if she would.

My personal head-canon is that she owns that spoiler[hostess club]. I mean, if any character in this franchise would...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
My personal head-canon is that she owns that spoiler[hostess club]. I mean, if any character in this franchise would...

Certainly. It was actually my assumption in the episode, and feels like a constructive use of her character. Actually, if you freeze at the moment it shows the entrance of the establishment you can see that there is a spoiler[big dog head above the door, and two presumably dog gargoyles to the sides holding lanterns, with a gate motif], which makes me theorise it might even be named "spoiler[The Gates of Hell]". It is not like she was a big character, but I like a return of characters and how this season has allowed a different take on some.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I for one really enjoyed the backstory with Nina and Favaro, as I think they had some nice chemistry together and it was great seeing Favaro up to his old tricks again, as well as seeing the juxtaposition between Favaro's skills alongside the obviously strong and fast but very clumsy Nina.

Also, I think it was pretty obvious why Nina wanted to be a bounty hunter: because Favaro is a smooth MFer who knows how to talk himself and his exploits up, and Nina is an adolescent who has lived as a relative misfit in a largely isolated village her whole life, so of course she'd want to venture from home and be a "cool, badass bounty hunter" (as she no doubt sees/saw it). The scene with her watching him boast to the ladies also directly paralleled the scene in S1 where he does the exact same thing and Amira overheard him, leading to the whole adventure, which I thought was a cool way to tie the seasons together and maybe further connect Amira and Nina, if not plotwise, then at least in spirit. And if you think about it, that boasting also is what caused this season as well, as it was their meeting that led her to Anatae in the first place, and the rest is history.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I have to dock some points for not including either Hansa or Rocky. My needs are simple, and they're every episode must include either a sentient severed hand or the talking duck, if not both. I'll be lenient this time, but Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul better fix this particular issue quick.

Actually Rocky was hanging on to Rita's shoulder while she was Mary Poppins-ing to the prison (presumably that is the destination).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Nina: Ok, I'm breaking out of here!!
Prisoners: Yay. No reason to keep that a secret from the guard standing right there. ::all applaud::

Quote:
two yapping puppies for hands

To me they seem more like plushie puppy puppets (repeat 3x fast). I assume she's doing the yapping for them, though I could definitely be wrong, seeing as how she's a demon and all.

Quote:
For example, why exactly was Nina so set on becoming a bounty hunter? Why did Sophiel take pity on Mugaro after eight episodes spent working towards the boy's capture? Why was Favaro captured by those mysterious black knights?

For some reason she seems fixated on making money, and bounty hunting was her only exposure to anything that made money, other than the inn. Favaro made the former seem more exciting than the latter.

As for Sophiel, I don't think she expected Mugaro to be so withdrawn in Heaven, nor that Gabriel would force godhood on him prematurely. Now she's having second thoughts in light of these new developments. So she gave him a dildo to play with. Or...an ocarina of time? I dunno. But what a cutie with his widdle wings! Very Happy

I think Favaro was captured and put in dire situations to make sure he wasn't still demon-possessed or something. Since he seems back to ordinary status, Charioce just tossed him in jail and forgot him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am pretty sure Nina wanted to be a bounty hunter to make money, Favaro was saying that he had more money than he could spend, and I am pretty sure she has said that the village is in need of money, the men go outside to work, and I think she has done the same. I totally missed that apparently Sophiel was taking pity on Mugaro, my take was that she was not really helping him, but doing things especially to gain his trust before they are about to betray him, being manipulative. For Charioce capturing and torturing Favaro, perhaps I am wrong but I am theorising that amongst the forbidden magic they are using it has something to do with Bahamut, and with Favaro being able wield power of Bahamut they were putting it to the test. Mugaro is somehow able to supress it. Or Charioce is just a dick who wants to make himself the one true hero and thus tries to break other heroes.
Widdershins

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

To me they seem more like plushie puppy puppets (repeat 3x fast). I assume she's doing the yapping for them, though I could definitely be wrong, seeing as how she's a demon and all.

I remember back in Season 1 that she seemed able to send her puppers away for other purposes (she mentions that they were out for a walk and hadn't returned yet) so I think they're at the very least sentient plushie pupper puppets.

I like that somewhere in the forests just chilling near a waterfall is some backwater village that is the strongest, least well-known fighting force this side of Anatae. Since all the men went out to the cities for work I wonder if we'll meet any other dragons in some capacity or if the village itself will become a big plot point (my fantasy senses scream yes).
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
So was there an actual point to Nina mistaking Mugaro for a girl? Will finding out that Mugaro is actually male make her transformation level up? Does she have an age limit for hot guys?!

As much as i enjoyed learning about Nina's and Favaro's time together, i got a bit impatient during this ep. because we didn't get much plot progression. But then i remembered that there are 24 eps. which should be plenty of time to fill all those "plot holes" as well.

Now, Rita to the rescue, please!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 23