• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if people here even think or just really like to shit on stuff.

Why would the guy tell people "yo, imma unseal Bahamut now so as to try and kill him mmk?". It's like they would be all happy to see Bahamut again after having him wreck their lives 10 years ago. Also, why would he ask the God/Demons for help when they've been backstabbing dumbasses the whole time, between Genesis and Virgin Soul.

I get that people have "something" against the show, but come on...

And to the reviewer, who said that the Onyx Captain was controlling Chris and as such he needs our pity, i can only say wut? What do you mean by that? Chris is in this 100% knowing that what's he's doing is bad/good and how stuff came around. You don't need to control a guy that has the will do go through with it. The Captain just went "M8, we need someone to kill bahamut with this tech and you seem like a guy with a will of steel. Will you do it? We'll even follow you and give away our lives to the cause" And Chis just said yes and went with it.... What's so hard to understand?
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
manapear wrote:
She also had her life screwed over by the gods (twice) and was manipulated by them as well. And yet, she still works with them. (Especially when it comes to Gabriel's evil, selfish self.)
This is true, and it's true that the gods are mostly huge a-holes but they have done some things for her. Once upon a time they did give her a purpose and inhuman power. They also gave her a child. If I was a mother I would also team up with shady untrustworthy jerks to get back at the guy responsible for my son's death. They are her only recourse, unfortunately. So yeah, it is true that she should be angry at them too, but also she should not act so indifferent to Nina's romantic exploits, which are a huge plot point.

But wasn't part of Genesis also the gods looking down on Jeanne, and Michael being the only one really supportive of her? And even then, he couldn't be there for her completely - which he realized, and hence, gifted her El. (Note, still just Michael. Not once did any other gods care about what was happening to Jeanne, only until it directly involves them.)

The other archangels had a bit of awakening in the end, but Gabriel especially has been very consistent. It's frustrating that she's the one that got to live between them all, but a fair set up to fit the themes present with everyone else. (How selfish many people are, for good reason or not, regardless of race/species and context.)

I think it's fair for her to accept that Nina is in love with Charioce. Heck, I'd say she kind of got used to stuff like this when she was going to be burned and literally was begging for someone to save the kingdom (and Michael and co may have been busy, but screw Gabriel for not caring once Amira was a lost cause). Jeanne is also acting a little selfishly now. I think it's within her right to target and take down the king, nobility, court, etc. But it's true that she was most spurred to action when her son died - no matter who was at fault. And Kaisar told her there would be unnecessary bloodshed. But she's upfront about losing her son. She told the army that when they amassed (which I also appreciate - at least she's honest).

Everyone has a common enemy, but a few of the players (Jeanne, the gods, the demons, humans) all are questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, the demons start turning their attacks back to the humans - or the humans try to attack the gods in the confusion.

Who Nina is in love with should be the least of Jeanne's concern. If Nina was more actively excusing the king's behavior, I would agree. But Nina has never once said his actions are okay, and just because she doesn't know what to do or want to hurt him (even when hurting herself), doesn't mean she's guilty of anything.

I mean, really. If Nina is guilty, Jeanne should be guilty too. Jeanne doesn't know that Gabriel wanted to abandon her when El came to save her, but it doesn't change the fact that it was obvious the gods were using El too, and Jeanne still wanted him to go back. The gods are consistently allowing horrible things to happen to the humans, because they just want humans to "know their place" (and then get upset when the humans go, "lol, ya'll thought, we don't need you"). Jeanne should not be working with them. They've allowed the demons to do horrible things to the humans, and even after, Gabriel went in hoping to teach humans a lesson. She's super transparent, and if I were Jeanne and I was going to be mad at Nina, I would have been angrier with the gods a long time ago. That's all I'm saying. If she's going to be mad at Nina for her son being killed by Charioce indirectly, shouldn't she also be mad that even after saving Sofiel, the gods never stepped in to truly save her and El? And their only reason for wanting to help El was to use him to reclaim their status and power?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
To get the lost technology, they needed the gods to unseal it or get what they need to do it themselves from the gods, and the gods didn't seem amenable to that. Which is understandable as even if he succeeded in his plan, which is not without its downsides, he could just use it to usurp the gods and demons after killing Bahamut. Enslaving the demons was counterproductive though.

I don't think so because they seem to have USED said technology to attack the gods to begin with. They were already using the gree stones in episode 1. If the gods were wary that the humans would use said power to attack them after Bahamut is dead they could have just used said technology themselves. They would also at least know what powers the humans were attacking with and woulnd't be taken by surprise like they were at the start of the season.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
There are so many problems with Charioce's character that it makes me wonder how they wrote the story arc for him without seeing those problems. I get that Charioce really wants to kill Bahamut but even in the episode that info dumps his motivations it only explains about half of what he did. I hope that the writers can magically connect the story together before the end but at this point that seems unlikely.

manapear wrote:
I'm really curious; for those that can't stand Charioce and find him uninteresting, what would make him worthwhile? Would it be openly emoting more, or more visually and obviously suffering?
Charioce is inconsistent as a character since in some episodes he is telling a prisoner that she is only alive because he is going to murder her child in front of her and in another episode he is going on a cute date with Nina. Several times now Charioce would act like a villain in one episode and would act like a fairy tale prince in the next episode.

manapear wrote:
Would having a redemption arc similar to Azazel's be redeeming? I see a lot of "for no reason" with Charioce and his motives that bugs people, and I can understand that. But Azazel tortured, murdered and humiliated humans for no other reason than it was entertaining to him, so what separates these two?

Is Azazel more acceptable now, because he's had to suffer and look pathetic and pitiable, and that's something people want from Charioce?
Well unless you really cared about faceless soldier #23 it isn't quite the same since Azazel wasn't even the main bad guy in Genesis. Azazel was so over the top that it felt theatrical and don't forget that some of his evil speeches were done next to a demon girl with dog puppets on her hands. So while Azazel was doing evil in his flying squid ship his level of menace decreased greatly by the time he got run over by a carriage.

Charioce on the other hand is a king and you get to see what his actions have caused. You see the demons starving in the streets, you see them in chains and cages, and you see the horrific things that have been done to them in torture chambers. It feels heavier than anything in Genesis and even in episode 22 we still don't get an explanation for it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

I love pooping on stuff! Everything in my house has poop on it! It's why we can't have nice things!

AksaraKishou wrote:
What's so hard to understand?

Gee, the part where none of him plan actually requires him to build a colosseum and hold death matches between slaves?

The part where any of his plan requires him to say to Jeanne in private that the only reason why he's keeping her alive is to murder her child in front of her?

The part where we're supposed to find a guy sympathetic who, after uncovering research about how to stop a monster that everyone wants dead, he decides to enact a campaign of genocide and a system of institutional slavery rather than ask for help from the other races (I guess we're supposed to find that impressive or manly, which makes the whole thing feel like the sword and sorcery version of a guy who's proud that he would never even consider pulling into a gas station and ask for directions)?

AksaraKishou wrote:
Also, why would he ask the God/Demons for help when they've been backstabbing dumbasses the whole time, between Genesis and Virgin Soul.

Yeah, because the humans have never been backstabbing dumbasses at any point in this franchise. Rolling Eyes Maybe Charioce needs to take another look at his own origin story before he starts throwing stones.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I think it's fair for her to accept that Nina is in love with Charioce.
WHY would she be okay with her friend being in love with the man that threw her in a gulag and psychologically tortured her with telling her he would kill her child in front of her? Tell me is there a worse threat for a mother? (Same goes for Nina, of course, why is she okay with this tyrant who has literally tried to kill all her loved ones 15 times?) Just face it, it was ignored for the sake of avoiding conflict with Nina, and because the show is almost over I guess.

You're saying a lot of things about the gods looking down on her and etc. but she didn't know that, the audience did. Not everyone is privy to all the conversations the gods have in their shiny floating city. This is like Favaro suddenly knowing things he shouldn't know in this episode.

AksaraKishou wrote:
And to the reviewer, who said that the Onyx Captain was controlling Chris and as such he needs our pity, i can only say wut? What do you mean by that? Chris is in this 100% knowing that what's he's doing is bad/good and how stuff came around. You don't need to control a guy that has the will do go through with it. The Captain just went "M8, we need someone to kill bahamut with this tech and you seem like a guy with a will of steel. Will you do it? We'll even follow you and give away our lives to the cause" And Chis just said yes and went with it.... What's so hard to understand?
Yeah, this I agree with. There was zero indication that he was being manipulated by the Onyx Knight guy, or that it was an excuse to absolve him of his crimes against demonkind.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I have over 1,500 completed entries on my anime list, I'm fairly confident that the 2nd half of Virgin Soul is the most disappointed I've ever been with an anime. It's not as horrifically bad as, say, Psycho Pass 2.... but that's kind of the problem. It wouldn't have taken much for this show to be great, good or just mediocre. Instead it's turned baaaad. Like someone actively made every bad decision in where the plot and character arcs would go possible.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Was the second half of this show written by a different person???? Holy crap this show went from my absolute favorite of the whole year to not even wanting to watch it for how far down it's plummeted. Every time I see Charoice shedding that single tear in that uninspired new opening I just want to scream. It's like it suddenly wants to be Legend of Basara but forgot to put in the nuanced character development. You should've just stuck with the "Ragtag band of adventurers overthrow evil king" plot. Seriously.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The part where we're supposed to find a guy sympathetic who, after uncovering research about how to stop a monster that everyone wants dead, he decides to enact a campaign of genocide and a system of institutional slavery rather than ask for help from the other races (I guess we're supposed to find that impressive or manly, which makes the whole thing feel like the sword and sorcery version of a guy who's proud that he would never even consider pulling into a gas station and ask for directions)?

Yep, that is where they really failed. It was obvious the show was going in the direction of Charioce's master plan redeeming him by being about saving the world. The problem is that the explanation falls ludicrously short of redemption. Not only as you're saying does it not excuse many of his worst actions, but he is clearly just doing it to get revenge for his mother.

Is throwing innocents under a bus for your revenge suppose to be sympathetic because the target of the revenge is evil? It might be different if people were just caught up in his revenge indirectly, but he specifically chose to involve them when he didn't need to.

Chrysostomus wrote:
Yeah, this I agree with. There was zero indication that he was being manipulated by the Onyx Knight guy, or that it was an excuse to absolve him of his crimes against demonkind.

I think at best he was offered exactly what he wanted (revenge for mommy) for going along with the plan. That falls short of manipulation. There isn't any indication the onyx captain distorted or withheld information to get Charioce to sign on.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
WHY would she be okay with her friend being in love with the man that threw her in a gulag and psychologically tortured her with telling her he would kill her child in front of her? Tell me is there a worse threat for a mother? (Same goes for Nina, of course, why is she okay with this tyrant who has literally tried to kill all her loved ones 15 times?) Just face it, it was ignored for the sake of avoiding conflict with Nina, and because the show is almost over I guess.

You're saying a lot of things about the gods looking down on her and etc. but she didn't know that, the audience did. Not everyone is privy to all the conversations the gods have in their shiny floating city. This is like Favaro suddenly knowing things he shouldn't know in this episode.

As a mom (of a toddler, though), I'm not going to guilt someone for who they are in love with, no matter how problematic or horrible that person is. I may question it; but I'm mature enough to realize that love is a feeling you can't help. (As a friend, I have witnessed this. That's how things work sometimes.) Would I question her if she was making excuses for that person all the time? Yeah. But Nina doesn't. Haven't you seen people in abusive relationships before? Things don't always work in a way that makes sense, especially in reality. And for Nina's part, she's seen both sides to Charioce. It's more confusing for her, than it is someone that only know him as the king and not Chris.

But she does know the gods never came to humans in their time of need. When the gods needed Amira to be protected, they came through. But otherwise? The gods have consistently neglected humans. The gods tried to use her and El. Jeanne knows the gods neglected the humans, she still thought it would be okay to go back to them.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Charioce is inconsistent as a character since in some episodes he is telling a prisoner that she is only alive because he is going to murder her child in front of her and in another episode he is going on a cute date with Nina. Several times now Charioce would act like a villain in one episode and would act like a fairy tale prince in the next episode.

He does have villainous moments, but even those are more few to the moments where he allows stuff; which is of course horrible, but it's also weird that more blame is pinned on him for things than he actually does. When the humans are jeering, throwing crap at the demons, enslaving them etc; it's weird to me that he's actively blamed for their behavior instead of them. And at that, we have to ask, what is or isn't okay for the humans to do? Demons had the advantage of over humans for who knows how long and were worse. Should humans just lie down and excuse or accept things?

Chrono1000 wrote:
Well unless you really cared about faceless soldier #23 it isn't quite the same since Azazel wasn't even the main bad guy in Genesis. Azazel was so over the top that it felt theatrical and don't forget that some of his evil speeches were done next to a demon girl with dog puppets on her hands. So while Azazel was doing evil in his flying squid ship his level of menace decreased greatly by the time he got run over by a carriage.

Charioce on the other hand is a king and you get to see what his actions have caused. You see the demons starving in the streets, you see them in chains and cages, and you see the horrific things that have been done to them in torture chambers. It feels heavier than anything in Genesis and even in episode 22 we still don't get an explanation for it.

What faceless soldier? I care about Kaisar and Favaro, and what they suffered through. Azazel doesn't have to be the main bad guy to excuse how evil and disgusting he was (especially to Favaro and Azazel). So if Charioce was theatrical about all this, it would make it better? If he was treated as a joke, it would make it more tolerable? Azazel was absolutely sinister at times. Mocking Kaisar for being ignorant about killing his father, and even being so condescending about the humiliation that his father and their house faced per his hands was despicable. I don't think that's theatrical at all. I think it's reprehensible. Then he gloated about killing Favaro's father too, and thought it was hilarious that Kaisar spent the greater part of those years chasing after the wrong person. Azazel is horrible.

The only reason I think I can like him now is because I was more than half way through Virgin Soul before starting Genesis. And yeah, he tortured Amira too, so I'm bitter about him treating her how did as well. And Cerberus? She pisses me off just as much. The demons acting silly doesn't excuse them or make it easier. If anything, that to me is worse because it shows how everyday it is for them and how they don't take seriously what they do to the humans. Azazel getting ran over by a flying chariot just felt good. (And he's been getting his, so. . .)

Charioce is responsible for some of that, but not all of it.He doesn't directly act in some of that, and yes it's a problem that he allows/excuses it, but we've seen the demons do horrible things and know how they treat humans. If anything, I'd say the flaw was treating demons as a whole as so sympathetic. But the real problem with the writing in this regard is that we don't know how many demons were horrible or innocent, and we see them all suffer for it now. A better message here would be to show that some of the weaker and younger demons were innocent, and now they have to pay the cost of acts from stronger demons like Azazel, Beelzebub and even Lucifer. (Another character who sits cozy and doesn't care who's suffering. It's quite the pattern.)

My take-away right now, is that if Charioce was more comical and over the top, he would be more tolerable (for you)? To each their own, I suppose. I prefer someone more nuanced, but again, I can also understand why people dislike Charioce. I don't think he's perfect or a good guy either. (But the show doesn't want us to believe that either; Genesis and Virgin Soul are both about dichotomy and dynamics.)

AksaraKishou wrote:

Why would the guy tell people "yo, imma unseal Bahamut now so as to try and kill him mmk?". It's like they would be all happy to see Bahamut again after having him wreck their lives 10 years ago. Also, why would he ask the God/Demons for help when they've been backstabbing dumbasses the whole time, between Genesis and Virgin Soul.

I get that people have "something" against the show, but come on...

Agreed. I think the show does have some problems in its writing; Genesis had pacing problems too. It was shorter, but I think Virgin Soul also was trying to fit more into what it was allowed. The writing isn't perfect, but I'm kind of surprised by some of the pushback.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Funny, some people are suddenly latching on to Charioce's evilness toward Jeanne as a big reason to hate him, even though they seemed to have forgotten until they were reminded today. Smile And wasn't Jeanne a demon for awhile, fighting on their side, before switching over to the gods' side? Apparently Charioce has neither forgotten nor forgiven that, which might explain why he hunted her down and was twirling his moustache at her in prison. In his eyes, she was a loose cannon that could get in the way of his plans, no less than the demons or the gods. Turns out he was right.

Pretty much everyone in this has reason to hate pretty much everyone else. Smile So Charioce's choosing to go it alone once he thought he had the power to do so, while simultaneously freeing (as he saw it) humans from the oppression of both the gods and demons, should surprise no one.

While I'm not excusing his actions, it seems to me that Charioce just didn't want to waste his resources on sorting out innocent demons from evil demons and not only was it easier to just let people take out their anger on them all, it also kept them happy and distracted from what he was really up to. That is, if he tried to institute justice for demons, and prosecuted humans for enslaving or killing them - i.e., all the good things we want him to use his power for - he might well have a human rebellion on his hands he didn't want to have to take time out to quash.

Basically, I'm still kind of puzzled that people keep saying he has no reasons for his actions or that the characters haven't been developed. I do agree that the writing has been kind of messy and cluttered, which probably contributes to people forgetting what happened even early in this series, let alone Genesis. I know I've forgotten some key things, but I'm not sure how much of that is on the writing and not me.

By the way both the review and someone else mentioned Favaro knowing things he shouldn't have known. Like what? He made some educated guesses based on what he observed, but nothing that wasn't a logical deduction.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Y'know, one plot device that needs to get dragged out into the street and shot is the "oh, don't worry, the devil made them do it!" Yeah, funny thing about that, writers: you kinda killed that bs excuse during the first season. While the main architect of the series was indeed a vicious, manipulative cad using the situation to his advantage, it still didn't negate the fact that the other characters were responsible for their actions. Typically manipulators are meant to prey on that which already exists in the character to begin with, not conjure out of this air. It's such a gutless writing device when you get down to it, wanting to have the spectacle of a villain, but then trying to have it both ways by absolving them of wrongdoing.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
(. . .)

I agree entirely, and you make strong points. I do think Jeane was manipulated by the demons; and I don't think she even gave in. I don't think she tried the drink in prison, and I think she stood by her morals and convictions all the way through, but that got forced on her (which was more sad). But, the humans don't really know that. To any and everyone else, she went on a killing spree. And the gods caught on, but I also feel like it should have been left up to the remaining gods to take responsibility for that even. Looking back, their negligence to help Jeanne and the humans then (who they had used to their whims so much), resulted in three of their archangels being killed. That could have been avoided entirely.

I started to consider that a bit too. It was shown that when the capitol/people started to dislike his decisions, they had a rebellion (which they started over Jeanne in Genesis too, and was reasonable). It does suck he didn't (actively) aid the demons more, but with the humans being so fickle (and frankly, getting a wee bit uppity at the turned tables).

And I agree overall that the show's writing could be stronger. It can be hard to follow. But I think watching it weakly or even more apart, kind of makes it harder. (And for me, I watched most of VS, then started Genesis; so I got caught up but also a little confused, lol.) Maybe it's easier to dislike some of the characters if one ignores their development and consistency.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Y'know, one plot device that needs to get dragged out into the street and shot is the "oh, don't worry, the devil made them do it!" Yeah, funny thing about that, writers: you kinda killed that bs excuse during the first season. While the main architect of the series was indeed a vicious, manipulative cad using the situation to his advantage, it still didn't negate the fact that the other characters were responsible for their actions. Typically manipulators are meant to prey on that which already exists in the character to begin with, not conjure out of this air. It's such a gutless writing device when you get down to it, wanting to have the spectacle of a villain, but then trying to have it both ways by absolving them of wrongdoing.

I think the show tends to do a fair job of showing that people were responsible for their actions. I do think the show went overboard earlier showing the demons as sympathetic, but I feel that only really kicks in if one hasn't watched Genesis. If you watch Genesis and come to VS, it feels like yeah the demons are getting it rough, but it feels way more complex, nuanced and realistic.

There's a lot of realistic grey in the show, and nothing is excused, even when it's explained. I like and prefer that. It's also kind of refreshing to see people do absolutely not okay or good things, but own it. (And even feel mixed about it down the line.)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
He does have villainous moments, but even those are more few to the moments where he allows stuff; which is of course horrible, but it's also weird that more blame is pinned on him for things than he actually does.
Charioce is the king so he is literally the person in charge of the kingdom. Even if he needed to attack the demons and gods to steal parts for his super weapon that leaves a bunch of other stuff that he did which hasn't been explained.

manapear wrote:
I care about Kaisar and Favaro, and what they suffered through. Azazel doesn't have to be the main bad guy to excuse how evil and disgusting he was. So if Charioce was theatrical about all this, it would make it better? If he was treated as a joke, it would make it more tolerable? Azazel was absolutely sinister at times. Mocking Kaisar for being ignorant about who killed his father, and even being so condescending about the humiliation that his father and their house faced per his hands was despicable. I don't think that's theatrical at all. I think it's reprehensible. Then he gloated about killing Favaro's father too, and thought it was hilarious that Kaisar spent the greater part of those years chasing after the wrong person. Azazel is horrible.
Azazel did evil things in Genesis but in terms of the amount of suffering that he caused Charioce is about a thousand times worse. I don't need characters to be morally perfect but brutal dictator is a bit much.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
I think the problem is that Bahamut is fundamental ill-suited as a series for nuanced characterizations or trying to be morally complex. It works best when it's cast is a bunch of broad but lovable archetypes in an escalating string of thrilling adventures. Sometimes aiming higher in ambitions can be a good thing... but here, MAPPA should have stuck to what really worked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 23