• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are TV Networks Associated With Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
sputn1k wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
Anime DOES air on different TV stations in different cities.

TV Osaka, OTOH, I believe does have the same owners as TV Tokyo.

Yes, they form the TX network, along with TV Aichi, TVQ Kyūshū Hōsō, TV Hokkaidō, TV Setouchi, and BS Japan. The latter is their satellite channel. One of the main owners of the participating channels is The Nihon Keizai Shinbun, a very large financial news paper. AT-X is a subsidiary of TV Tokyo.

As one can tell, the networks are primarily grouped by the news programming, with a large news paper company in the back.

Right, I know they form the TX network, there's just a question of whether the stations have the same ownership (or interlocking directorates, cross-ownership, etc.) or are owned by different corporations but share the network affiliation. I never have spent too much time tracking it.

In the USA there are both "owned and operated" stations as well as stations which affiliate but have different ownership. In some cases the other ownership will own multiple stations that affiliate with multiple networks, and in rare cases they will have stations that have a primary affiliation with one network and a secondary with another. (The latter used to happen in Japan but I don't know about now.) People know about their local stations being NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. They generally don't know too much about whether it's Sinclair or Capitol Broadcasting Company or what have you.

There sure is a lot less prime-time anime than in the past. Still a fair amount of Saturday morning (mostly Jump) shows, but the days when Evangelion or Utena were shown at prime time hours are mostly gone.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do some anime shows only be on a single network?

Not counting syndication, isn't this how most shows in most countries are ran?
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For "Mainstream" anime that are broadcast during normal hours

Why put mainstream in quotation? One Piece is mainstream in Japan, and the stuff that airs during normal waking hours is aimed at the general public rather than the otaku market.

FUN FACT: Both Fuji TV (7.14%) and TV Asahi (14.29%) have stock in Toei Animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2