• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Discusses New G-Reco Movies, Anime & Film Industries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since George Lucas and James Cameron there haven't been directors that really like rockets, so everything has been rubbish.

I laughed. Man's got his priorities organised. He probably didn't like Your Name or Kemono Friends much because there weren't rockets and explosions.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

BD/DVD sales averaged 9,012 per video volume, which happens to be only around 900 less per volume than the first half of IBO.

1) I wasn't actually referring to DVD/BD sales. I was referring to the overall viewership on TV.
2) That's actually pretty good especially given how its time slot was garbage.

3) Is that just the first volume of IBO? I heard it dropped hard.

Topgunguy wrote:

But he's not really one to talk since G-Wrecko was a huge mess with some very badly written characters.

It really wasn't that big of a mess. Pacing felt rushed but it was a 52 episode smashed into 24/26. I can't agree with badly written characters though. At ALL.

Especially given what happened with the show that was also airing at the same time. Try had much worse characters which is honestly surprising given that the strong point of the first series was because it was a combination of good characters, fandom jokes and the fun fights (although it did ultimately resort to Build Knuckle spam.)
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

But it was?
The West = / = Japan.

Or more accurately:

The U.S. and Canada = / = Japan.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

BD/DVD sales averaged 9,012 per video volume, which happens to be only around 900 less per volume than the first half of IBO.

1) I wasn't actually referring to DVD/BD sales. I was referring to the overall viewership on TV.

Topgunguy wrote:

But he's not really one to talk since G-Wrecko was a huge mess with some very badly written characters.

It really wasn't that big of a mess. Pacing felt rushed but it was a 52 episode smashed into 24/26. I can't agree with badly written characters though. At ALL.

Especially given what happened with the show that was also airing at the same time. Try had much worse characters which is honestly surprising given that the strong point of the first series was because it was a combination of good characters, fandom jokes and the fun fights (although it did ultimately resort to Build Knuckle spam.)
Try's biggest problem isn't so much the characters, as it is the fact that it ditched what made made the first series great: Battles that actually made some semblance of sense. They just cranked everything up to 11 and tried to go bigger and bigger with crazier and crazier gunpla like the dragon made out of SD Gundam's. There's just a lot of insanity there.

As for G-Reco, Tomino publicly admitted that it was crap and apologized for it. I've tried to watch it twice and I just can't. The dialogue is cringe-worthy, the characters are over the top, and it's just way too happy for a Gundam series. IBO is a lot closer to what Gundam should be.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

As for G-Reco, Tomino publicly admitted that it was crap and apologized for it.

He actually didn't. All he really said was he could've handled it better. Paraphrasing it but that's basically it. The only article and by extension, discussion on an article that I've seen say Tomino apologizing for it was ANN's article on his comments (sourced from a Yaraon post which ANN then proceeded to horribly translate.)

Funny how they never followed that up with Gen Urobochi and Uno Tsunehiro's comments on it, isn't it?

Quote:
The dialogue is cringe-worthy, the characters are over the top, and it's just way too happy for a Gundam series. IBO is a lot closer to what Gundam should be.

Because Gundam shows can't be happy? Let's ignore the original SD Gundam shorts, the spinoffs, Gaiden and Sangokuden (which is freaking fantastic even if it's Liu wank!), and X. What determines that a Gundam show shouldn't be happy? A fair bit of Turn A is happy slice of life antics and its great.

IBO really isn't what Gundam should be. I've never seen a show screw up its premise since Gigantic Formula or hell, the third and fourth of AGE for that matter if we're limiting it to Gundam alone. Tackling the idea of child soldiers and actually placing a story on Mars for that matter? Awesome. Having them be straddling the line between being heroes and being just as bad as those they oppose? Equally awesome.

The actual show's execution? Eeeeeeh. Not only did the first season's finale fall flat on its face with Tekkadan having almost as much plot armor as the Archangel and Kira did in Destiny, the second season didn't really fix anything. spoiler[At least Season 2's final stretch was great with Tekkadan actually taking losses, like they should have in the first place.]
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Nyren wrote:

As for G-Reco, Tomino publicly admitted that it was crap and apologized for it.

He actually didn't. He said he could've handled it better, not that it was crap. The only article and by extension, discussion on an article that I've seen say such a thing is ANN's article on his comments (sourced from a Yaraon post which ANN then proceeded to horribly translate.)

Funny how they never followed that up with Gen Urobochi and Uno Tsunehiro's comments on it, isn't it?

Quote:
The dialogue is cringe-worthy, the characters are over the top, and it's just way too happy for a Gundam series. IBO is a lot closer to what Gundam should be.

Because Gundam shows can't be happy? Let's ignore the original SD Gundam shorts, the spinoffs, Gaiden and Sangokuden (which is freaking fantastic even if it's Liu wank!), and X. What determines that a Gundam show shouldn't be happy? A fair bit of Turn A is happy slice of life antics and its great.

IBO really isn't what Gundam should be. I've never seen a show screw up its premise since Gigantic Formula or hell, the third and fourth of AGE for that matter if we're limiting it to Gundam alone. Tackling the idea of child soldiers and actually placing a story on Mars for that matter? Awesome. Having them be straddling the line between being heroes and being just as bad as those they oppose? Equally awesome.

The actual show's execution? Eeeeeeh. Not only did the first season's finale fall flat on its face with Tekkadan having almost as much plot armor as the Archangel and Kira did in Destiny, the second season didn't really fix anything. spoiler[At least Season 2's final stretch was great with Tekkadan actually taking losses, like they should have in the first place.]
The spin-offs don't count and I wouldn't necessarily consider Gundam X happy. Turn A is also one of my least favorites because it was so slice of life. Victory Gundam, SEED, Thunderbolt, IBO, those to me are what Gundam should be on a regular basis. No goofing around, deaths everywhere, serious themes.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
and it's just way too happy for a Gundam series. IBO is a lot closer to what Gundam should be.

That's by your personal standards.
In my opinion, if the creator of Gundam himself decides to write a happy Gundam story, it means Gundam can be happy.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Yet I remember ANN's official gundam reviewer giving it high ratings. Same thing with IBO. They didn't even try to review G-Reco. I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is not the right forum to try to convince the majority of its users about anything good Tomino has ever done. They'd rather concentrate in his (apparently) bombastic statements and call the man old and senile.

IMO G-Reco, even while being QUITE flawed, managed to be the most interesting thing that came out of gundam in the last ten years, only topped by The Origin. Thunderbolt is excellent but is too recent and could get worse, TRY was a travesty, IBO failed in many levels script-wise and UNICORN started great and ended up being hugely disappointing.

Last edited by ryanvamp on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
The spin-offs don't count and I wouldn't necessarily consider Gundam X happy. Turn A is also one of my least favorites because it was so slice of life. Victory Gundam, SEED, Thunderbolt, IBO, those to me are what Gundam should be on a regular basis. No goofing around, deaths everywhere, serious themes.

-Spin-offs don't count
-Lists Thunderbolt

Gundam X is probably the happiest Gundam has ever been, if you discount things like SD. The entire message of the show is basically about hope and second chances.spoiler[ Hell, it's one of the few entries in the series where the main antagonists don't get killed with the Frost Brothers having to watch the world move on.]
SEED does **** all with its themes. I'm a big fan of SEED's worldbuilding and general setting but the actual show does nothing with the concept of the genetic engineering (outside of the Druggies) and brings it up a couple times but ultimately does nothing with the sterilization of Coordinators.

Victory I'll give you, even though the Einerad, Adrastea and Battle Bikes are incredibly silly though highly effective.

Thunderbolt is incredibly silly though, especially with the spoiler[Killer Space Monks arc.]

Gundam at its root has always been silly. G-Armor? The entirety of the Newtype asspulls in the shows, like the Zeta-series Biosensors? The Axis Shock and Pschyoframes? The entirety of Unicorn's black-box newtype mumbo jumbo? spoiler[Crystal Unicorn?]
the green death

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
This new movie, will it just be a recut of the show? Probably but it'd be nice if it were all new.
No Brand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
New member here. Couldn't resist, so here're my two cents:

I haven't watched G-Reco past the first two or three episodes; I remember mentioning in another forum that Tomino's style could be excused in previous works due to their age but the same can't be said for G-Reco. That said the comments here have actually made me more enthusiastic about finishing the series.

Nyren wrote:
Try's biggest problem isn't so much the characters, as it is the fact that it ditched what made made the first series great: Battles that actually made some semblance of sense.

Never mind the nonsensical battles; you're discounting the fact that Try's battles lacked impact because the characters fighting them simply didn't make the audience care as much as their counterparts in the previous series. You have a big problem when Try's final boss, Wilfrid Kijima, can hardly hold a candle to Build Fighters' side characters Fellini, Mao, and Niels in terms of characterization. Heck, I thought Luang Dallara was more memorable than Wilfrid.

Now it's one thing if Wilfrid was the only problem; how many teams of three did the Try Fighters fight? Wink
DarkLordDragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
I never liked G-Reco, to me it was one of the worst Gundams honestly. I'd rather have a Gundam Wing Frozen Teardrop.

As for the anime industries, as long as their focus on magical school girls or panties and boobs, it will never regain its glory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
DarkLordDragon wrote:
As for the anime industries, as long as their focus on magical school girls or panties and boobs, it will never regain its glory.
It doesn't though, no it really does not. Each season is not full of endless "insert whatever is currently killing here" titles. Each season I look through the new titles, and I have never come across this issue.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I can't agree with badly written characters though. At ALL.
I doubt anyone who watched the show that has Raraiya in it can say that with a straight face.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Buying a Blu-ray or DVD takes more commitment (and cold hard cash) than viewing something on TV. At that point a person also knows what they are getting.

As I stated, the was for the first half, not the first volume. Using the word "averaged" for a single volume wouldn't make much sense after all.

The second half isn't fairing as well, currently standing at an average of 6,035. While the releases for the second half aren't complete, most series decline in sales with later volumes, meaning that average probably isn't going to improve.

Just based on the first half (I still haven't watched the second), in my personal opinion IBO was far better than G-Reco, but this wouldn't be the first time Japan surprised me.

Both series pale in sales next to shows like Seed (including Destiny) or 00 but outperfomed AGE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3