• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces English Dubs for 8 More Simulcast Titles, Brave Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the very least this means we'll all get to play another rousing game of "Guess who used a Pseudonym."

This one of my favorite games and Darn it I was not expecting World End to get dubbed oh well now I know the version I will watching.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Seven Mortal Sins is definitely a Jerry Jewell show, considering he directed Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid's dub. If he's NOT the director, I'll be surprised... and PLEASED if he ends up working on a better show this season. Last season, he was stuck on Hand Shakers. shudders
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Seeing as how they've done Yurikuma I doubt that yuri would have been a problem, and as someone mentioned earlier they also dubbed Bikini Warriors.

That being said I still wish that they could have somehow gotten their hands on Re:Creators and/or Virgin Soul before Amazon snatched them up.

I barely noticed Love Tyrant would be out tomorrow, gonna have to check that one out and 7 Mortal Sins on Sunday (just the show you wanna watch on the sabbath)

I'd say there's a big difference between Yurikuma and Mortal Sins, one is more of a cutsy sexual Yuri where as the other is more of a hardcore sexual Yuri.

If you need a better example, Funimation just released Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid this week which they also dubbed. It's basically in the same vein as 7MS. So again it's not that much of a surprise. Honestly I would have been more shocked if Funimation DIDN'T get this.

At the very least this means we'll all get to play another rousing game of "Guess who used a Pseudonym."

Yes but they didn't SImildub VDM

It's not out of the norm for them to dub a fanservivce heavy show, it's just odd they'd do so on a simildub. They were doing Simils when Mermaid came out and chose not to and release it later instead it's surprising they didn't do that for SMS
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Yes but they didn't SImildub VDM

It's not out of the norm for them to dub a fanservivce heavy show, it's just odd they'd do so on a simildub. They were doing Simils when Mermaid came out and chose not to and release it later instead it's surprising they didn't do that for SMS

They didn't have a partnership with CR then. I believe that allows Funi to expand on just how much stuff they can simuldub at one time what with the sub-licensing and all (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

When VDM first came out they hadn't been doing it that long so they probably didn't want to spend the resources on it at the time.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Anyone know if the broadcast material for brave witches is censored?

It no doubt is, but from what I saw at a site that loves to highlight fanservice scenes in anime , Brave Witches appeared to have noticeably less on that front to begin with.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
wow five series' that have strong potential on making my buy list are being dubbed. thats really impressive and also a relief since I know that they will get home releases next year.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Seems unwise to simuldub Seven Mortal Sins now. Last I checked there's going to be 7 extra episodes and there's shorts too. Makes more sense to dub it all together from a cost & scheduling standpoint. Plus won't some fan just use the dub audio and sync it with the AT-X version? I guess Funimation must be rolling in dough if they don't care about hurting their own sales potential.

I have little faith in a good dub cast for it. Sometimes ecchi dubs are great, other times it seems like nobody gives a damn and the casting is terrible; lame excuse to throw some roles to less talented actresses who probably don't normally book a lot of work. When a Japanese cast has top tier names I'd appreciate it if TPTB took note and tried to assemble a star English cast of their own.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Funimation is simudubbing Seven Mortal Sins. I'm glad that they are it's just seems odd since the uncensored version is out there. Confused
Cerulean16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Seven Mortal Sins is definitely a Jerry Jewell show, considering he directed Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid's dub. If he's NOT the director, I'll be surprised... and PLEASED if he ends up working on a better show this season. Last season, he was stuck on Hand Shakers. shudders

Yeah he deserves a better show after he took one for the team. Possibly Tsukigakirei since he directed Orange(another romance show) and that was a really good dub.

Anyways, im curious about Kado's dub. It's TBA , and of the other 2 Simuldubs that were TBA to start with, one ended up on Toonami(Dimension W) and the the other was dubbed in LA(Mob Psycho 100). We'll just have to wait and see what becomes of it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
... it's a good number? Is it telling that Brave Witches, the one from last season that would seem to be average at best, is the only one that catches my interest?

Every season I just keep heading more and more into my own collection. Come on, anime, do... something. It doesn't have to be good, it just doesn't have to make me face palm as soon as I read its synopsis. Or a series of sentences that somehow are a title...
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting for the simudub of Love Tyrant and I just hope they cast an actress for Akane Hayama that can match the original Japanese VA for the ability to go from "Happy Girl Next Door" to "Homicidal" and not sound fake while doing it. I'm hoping for Alexis Tipton in that role because she's done similar roles such as "Date A Live" and Kurumi.

Tsugumomo is another interesting one, both because of the type and variety of voices needed, even within certain characters themselves. This will be interesting for the director to cast.

NefCanuck
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
They're actually dubbing Seven Mortal Sins?!?! Laughing If Hand Shakers could get a dub then I suppose this shouldn't be surprising. If the dub is cheesy or awful then I'll check out the show as a "popcorn flick" of sorts.

I really hope Funimation gets the home video license for Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul. The thought of another company getting their hands on it just doesn't sit well with me. If they can get Garo: Crimson Moon then hopefully Virgin Soul won't be too much of a challenge (I must admit I don't have a clear idea how the process works so if anyone would like to educate me about that, by all means please do).
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
How do they do this? Are all their VAs working full time now, or did they hire a bunch of new people? I hope they're not all overwhelmed. That's *a lot* of anime!
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How do they do this? Are all their VAs working full time now, or did they hire a bunch of new people? I hope they're not all overwhelmed. That's *a lot* of anime!

I've noticed a number of new VA names in recent simudub seasons, so my guess is that they are mixing in new talent with the veteran VAs that they already have. Depending on the show you might see a mostly newish VA cast versus an established Funimation VA lineup for other shows that they license.

NefCanuck
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Watching "Akakishic Records" dubbed now. Voices I've ID'ed so far: Josh Grelle is Glenn, Monica Rial is Rumia, and Morgan Garrett is Celica.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3