• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are OVA Episodes Seldom Licensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The first category are what I would call a BD/DVD special.

Special is limited to less than 24 minutes episodes, so let's call OVAs included in the original disc release "unaired episodes". Also nowadays we have web shorts (ONA), which are like specials (in length) but are broadcast thru the web, most of the time as the main series is released in TV.

Quote:
I've noticed a large decline of OVAs, the traditional OVAs at least.

Yeah, in example for this summer season we only have this "true OVAs".
Strike the Blood II
High School Fleet OVA
Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 4th Season
The Kubikiri Cycle
Kakuchou Shoujo-Kei Trinary

... and from the list only the last two are new series never seen on TV or movie theaters.

Quote:
Also, those sites are not "quasi-legal," they're illegal. Just sayin'.

Not like ANN acquired the rights to the scenes portrayed in "The Biggest Animated Moments of Winter 2017". Luke 6:42

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
aodmisery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
One punch man recently got released in America dubbed. All the specials were included but not the ova. Which meant i had to go looking for it just to watch it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

I still get slightly annoyed when I think back on how Funi got the rights to the Tsubasa OVAs, but not to the connecting xxxHolic ones, but I know they have stated before that xxxHolic was a terrible seller for them so I'm sure that was a bigger factor than possibly not being able to get them.

I still grumble a little bit anytime Funimation comes out with anything CLAMP related since it reminds me that we'll never get that second season of Holic.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is such a huge hit that they actually released the manga pack-in OVAs as DVDs bundled with manga volumes. Much more the exception than the rule, though. As you note, that's part of the manga license.

For older shows, people on both the US and Japanese side may not know that extra OVA episodes exist (similar with trying to get the more uncensored or alternative home video versions of shows.) Other OVAs take a long time to get out-- the Gekiganger 3 OVA wasn't in the first couple Nadesico releases, but made it out in later box sets.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there were one or two instances were manga-packaged OADs made it to North American shores, but it's extremely rare -- manga publishers want to keep that content exclusive to the Japanese manga buyers who shell out top yen to pre-order those limited-edition manga volumes.

Quote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Not like ANN acquired the rights to the scenes portrayed in "The Biggest Animated Moments of Winter 2017". Luke 6:42
Showing a few .gifs and screenshots for the purposes of review and commentary is nowhere near the same as showing entire episodes and entire series for profit, the way bootleg streaming sites do.

And why does everyone think that bootleg streaming sites are the only option to watch OVAs or other spinoffs that aren't on legal sites or disc releases? Bootleg streaming sites wouldn't be able to get those videos if they weren't released in downloadable formats by fansubbing groups in the first place. (And of course, OVAs/OADs/ONAs and specials/omakes are among the few areas where original fan translations even exist anymore.)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Do YOU want to be the anime company that announces that they're selling a disc in 2017 with a single episode on it? That wouldn't fly with fans 15 years ago! How would you even price that?

Tada! High School of the Dead: Drifters Of The Dead
It was a fiver, DVD-only, and only available at conventions or through Universal Publications (UP1). Wasn't even a full episode at 16 mins...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
WingKing wrote:
In fairness, Sentai did that with the "Anzio Battle" OVA for Girls und Panzer, which they just released this past November (and it's like $10-$12 for the one episode). But it is obviously extremely rare to get a release like that.

At 38 minutes approx the GUP Anizio OVA is roughly 1 1/2 times a single episode, Sentai also licensed the other GUP 15 minute OVA's and released all 6 of those on a single disk.

The original Little Witch Academia was only 26 mins and as far as I know, did alright. (granted, I don't think it was directly US licensed, but they did market it to foreign audiences)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:

Showing a few .gifs and screenshots for the purposes of review and commentary is nowhere near the same as showing entire episodes and entire series for profit, the way bootleg streaming sites do.

Nowhere do I talk about level, I simply talk about legality (just like Justin said, either you are legal, or you are not, there is no "quasi-legal") and this site uses ads on whatever it publishes as a means to revenue, no different from "those sites".

Zalis116 wrote:
And why does everyone think that bootleg streaming sites are the only option to watch OVAs or other spinoffs that aren't on legal sites or disc releases?

Why it is such a hard concept to grasp the difference between "wanting to see" and "wanting to own"? That is the reason Netflix is so popular, because people just want to see new content with their favourite actors, directors, thematic, etc. From that a little percentage might want to own a disc with a copy of said content.

That is the reason even before streaming started to be a thing that japanese companies broadcast their newest anime on TV, because they know only a percentage of viewers will buy it, even if they liked it a lot. OVAs do get shown on TV down the road (in Japan) and people would not mind to get a legal stream about said material if they knew it would show later on, but as things stand now, they can bet it will not be shown.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:

Nowhere do I talk about level, I simply talk about legality (just like Justin said, either you are legal, or you are not, there is no "quasi-legal") and this site uses ads on whatever it publishes as a means to revenue, no different from "those sites".

But the point is that showing clips from something like that is NOT ILLEGAL. Because it falls under fair use. So, yes, one of these is legal and one is not. Showing short clips for the purpose of education and review is legal, showing an entire episode of something, with audio and music in tact, for the purpose of profit, is not.

Quote:
Zalis116 wrote:
And why does everyone think that bootleg streaming sites are the only option to watch OVAs or other spinoffs that aren't on legal sites or disc releases?

Why it is such a hard concept to grasp the difference between "wanting to see" and "wanting to own"? That is the reason Netflix is so popular, because people just want to see new content with their favourite actors, directors, thematic, etc. From that a little percentage might want to own a disc with a copy of said content.

I think Zalis was implying that you can always torrent from the fansubbers own site rather than supporting scum who profit off of this content by watching on a streaming site.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
But the point is that showing clips from something like that is NOT ILLEGAL. Because it falls under fair use

It fails the first factor for fair use, namely:
... is for nonprofit educational purposes;
since ANN is not a non profit organization.

Quote:
I think Zalis was implying that you can always torrent from the fansubbers own site rather than supporting scum who profit off of this content by posting it on a streaming site.

I can agree with that, I myself do not use said ad supported pirate streaming sites just the same as I do not buy physical bootlegs, the later I know first hand are part of organized crime (yeah, locally; yeah, I am talking about anime bootlegs) and I do not want to risk the possibility that the prior is the same.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It was a fiver, DVD-only, and only available at conventions or through Universal Publications (UP1). Wasn't even a full episode at 16 mins...

UP1 are known for saving people's bacon when it comes to rare titles, but it comes as news to me that they would go to that sort of extent!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sentai released Highschool of the Dead: Drifters of the Dead standalone on DVD and Blu-ray, even though it's only a 15-minute episode. They initially said they were only going to stream it, but they probably changed their minds because the TV series sold so well. I think it only cost $10 on DVD and $12 on Blu-ray. The collector's edition boxset included it with the rest of the TV series.

There's also the Elfen Lied OVA, which never got released over here at all until a couple years back, with the show's Blu-ray release. The dub didn't even bother getting most of the original cast back.

Kodansha Comics USA releases the Attack on Titan OADs with their manga volumes DVD-only and sub-only.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
There are a handful of other cases of single-episode-length OVAs being released as stand-alones over the years.

Voices of a Distant Star came out that way, as did This Boy Can Fight Aliens! and the Mahoromatic Summer Special. Freedom also originally got released episode-by-episode, although it has since been rereleased as a set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
They can be licensed if the property is popular enough and or if they won't be charged to the point it would no longer worth acquiring the rights.

For example Highschool of the Dead manga volume 7 limited edition came with the bonus OVA episode and Sentai got it long after the series had been licensed. Initially you had to buy if separately for $6.00 dollars for a 11 minute Blu-Ray, now it's included in the newer collectors box set.

Girls Und Panzer OVA specials where 6 episodes about 10 minutes each and they sold it for 2/3 the price of the entire 12 episode season. Then just recently they put out the Anzio Special a 45 minute long episode for about $16.00 dollars.

So the demand is their but how hard and how much to acquire the OVA is the question.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It fails the first factor for fair use, namely:
... is for nonprofit educational purposes;
since ANN is not a non profit organization.

The first factor for fair use isn't restricted to non-profit or educational purposes. It also includes a range of viable commercial enterprises such as newspaper reports, critiques and reviews, parody, academic scholarship, and for-profit research. For example, if you're an enviornmental journalist, you're allowed to excerpt quotes from logging company executives' speeches and juxtapose them with photographs you've taken of endangered forests, and then still make money off of your newspaper article.

You can also meet the standard of de minimis, as in Sandoval v. New Line Cinema Corp., 147 F.3d 215 (2d Cir. 1998), which held that you can even meet the standards for fair use within the context of a Hollywood film!

Nowhere in the tenets of fair use, however, is there an allowance for outright unlicensed digital distribution of entire media works. A pirated episode is simply not equivocal to a screen-capped gif.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5