• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Those Flavored Breads In Japanese School Lunches?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluExocet

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
There's a large Asian "wal-mart" in Honolulu called "Don Quijote". The bakery had green tea bread things rolled with a cream in the middle, like log cake slices. They were good.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I like this article because it gives me a lot of information about a subject that is of interest to me.
I dislike this article because it makes me hungry for things that I cannot have.

Well, maybe it is time to stop whining (whinging, if you prefer) and see if Google can help me to find something. I might even be able to order a taiyaki on line.

Last edited by Touma on Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagsura

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I don't know how you've come to that conclusion unless your taste in bread is on the side of the crunchy, "wholesome" side. I certainly prefer breads they make over my home country, which apes a lot from Spanish bread which I think are dry and tasteless.

The only people I met who didn't complain about it in any way. shape or form were from the States - which I wouldn't say is somewhere I enjoy eating "local" food. French, English, South American, German, French - hardly anyone enjoyed Japanese bread (which we'd joke wasn't bread at all, hence it being "pan"). The difference between the "wholesome" variants one could find in Lawson or Seven Eleven and those of actual bakeries wasn't that big, either.

But hey, if you enjoyed it good for you. I know that outside of melon pan I didn't.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I might even be able to order a takoyaki on line.

Did you mean taiyaki? That's the fish-shaped, bean-filled pastry. Takoyaki are octopus balls. Smile

Just yesterday I found the Maharoba Japanese bakery in town, but it's a major undertaking to get there without a car. I don't know if this makes me happy or sad. Hungry, either way.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
There aren't so many Japanese bakeries in my area, but the number of Korean and Vietnamese ones is off the charts, fortunately. Shilla, in particular, is quite fabulous and I recommend it to anyone interested in dying young and happy. Of the varieties of "flavored bread" I've tried, anpan is honestly my least favorite. I am not a fan of the bean paste thing. And I can only chalk up its popularity in Asia to it being something they just grew up with. That gritty texture combined with the sweet-ish flavor just doesn't work for me at all.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
The bakeries are definitely a great place to visit while in Japan. Such a great variety of delicious treats =)

Quote:
Melon pan - A plain bun with no fillings, topped with a thin layer of sugar cookie dough. Despite the name, there's usually no melon flavor
I didn't know this till the first time I tried one. I was very disappointed. Still, it wasn't bad, but not what I was expecting.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Huh, I always thought that melon pan legitimately had melon associated with it. The more you know.

For the sake of customer expectations, I do like to hope that at least one intrepid baker has attempted to introduce a melon flavour. The market for such a variety must be lying in wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
Good article.
In a related note, here are some breads that i found in some Asian bakeries.

Chikuwa bun.
A bread filled with Chikuwa, a fish cake shaped like a Bamboo.

Kaya bun.
A bun filled with Kaya, a sweet food spread made from Coconuts and eggs and popular in Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei and Singapore.

Fish Nugget Bun.
Exactly what it says. A Fish Nugget in a Bun.

Cakoi
A long strips of dough that were deep fried and sometimes added with Kaya or butter.

Hotdog Donut.
A dough with a sausage inside deep fried like a donut.

Curry puff
Delicious small pies with Curry, chicken and potato fillings.

Roti John.
An omelette sandwich made with minced meat (chicken or mutton), onion, egg, tomato-chilli sauce and a baguette.
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:

The only people I met who didn't complain about it in any way. shape or form were from the States - which I wouldn't say is somewhere I enjoy eating "local" food. French, English, South American, German, French - hardly anyone enjoyed Japanese bread (which we'd joke wasn't bread at all, hence it being "pan"). The difference between the "wholesome" variants one could find in Lawson or Seven Eleven and those of actual bakeries wasn't that big, either.

But hey, if you enjoyed it good for you. I know that outside of melon pan I didn't.

I'm not sure about the French, English, or South Americans, but I seem to remember a video by SimonandMartina (a Canadian couple who lived in Korea and recently moved to Japan) where several German viewers left comments about how much they disliked the soft sweetness of Asian bread. It seemed like they preferred more wholesome breads to Asian sweet breads.

I think it really depends on what you're used to--American sliced bread brands have spent years emphasizing the softness of their white bread, and for a long time white bread used to be the only bread Americans could buy without going to a specialty market, so it'd make sense that Americans wouldn't complain about a soft, sweet white bread like Japan's.

On a more personal note, I love char siu baos (baked or steamed) and Chinese custard buns, so I'm really curious to know how Japan's breads compare. I'd probably steer clear of the curry buns though, since I've learned that I really dislike Japanese curry.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Did you mean taiyaki? That's the fish-shaped, bean-filled pastry.

Yes.
Thank you. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
I don't know how you've come to that conclusion unless your taste in bread is on the side of the crunchy, "wholesome" side. I certainly prefer breads they make over my home country, which apes a lot from Spanish bread which I think are dry and tasteless.

That's the thing. Most Europeans (and I guess South Americans, I don't really know much about their taste in bread), have a completely different idea about how bread should be yet that doesn't mean in anyway the Asian ones are inherently "not good."

Granted, a few European dishes got lost in translation like Neapolitan Spaghetti, but when it comes to bread, the Japanese created their own spin which can be enjoyed by those who share their preference in and out of the country.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
For the sake of customer expectations, I do like to hope that at least one intrepid baker has attempted to introduce a melon flavour. The market for such a variety must be lying in wait.

No kidding. I'm about ready to try making some bread with a shot of Midori added. Very Happy
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
If you are stuck in a place without an Asian bakery you can order quite a few of these online through Asian grocery stores or Amazon even. Of course it's not as good as fresh, but it's better than nothing.

I've bought from this store a number of times:

https://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/asian-food/grocery/imported-bread
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wafu Tuna pan. Kind of a long oval shaped bread with tuna and mayo on it. One of my favorite types of pan in Japan.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
(I guess South Americans, I don't really know much about their taste in bread)

Depends on the region. In southern South America, their tastes are quite similar to Europe. In northern South America, we enjoy different kinds of bread, not favoring any particular texture, but you never, EVER mess with the arepa. We love corn.

But what really sets us aside is that almost every neighborhood in the country I live in has a panadería (bakery) that sells different kinds of breads, especially bread rolls, for prices that North Americans would consider to be absurd: between ten and maybe fifty cents, going by the current exchange rate. They may also sell breakfasts (beef rib and potato broth being a very popular breakfast dish), tamales (not like the Mexican ones), drinks, and some cookies. There's nothing as comforting as a fresh out of the oven bread roll, with some hot chocolate and cheese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4