• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Torrent Sites Disappearing?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
People can argue about the morality of downloading torrents but for older catalogue shows like Votoms, Armor Hunter Mellowlink and High Speed Jecy are people just supposed to hope Discotek licenses them? I buy crapload of anime(both domestic releases and import) but many of the older, obscure shows will likely never be released in the U.S. It's a shame to see more of these sites going because the archive stuff is more likely to be forgotten and lost to the void.
Kaeru89

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
I think everyone in UK who watches anime regularly should buy Crunchyroll. This way we could watch waaay more anime shows in original version, fast, with good translation, with good sound and video in 1080p, and no ads. And it is just £5 a month - c'mon, everyone spends more on chips for months parties than that. I believe in supporting the anime market strongly. This way no sites like Nya, or whatever the name, would have no more impact as no one would be using them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I DO hope that this affects those damn streaming sites and I hope those get taken down.

The old adage says "if you can't beat them, join them". These sites had already built an ad revenue and are targeting populations/languages not covered by legal streaming sites, so the japanese could strike a deal just the same as they did with crunchyroll back when it also was a pirate site. The sad truth is that since this sites cover less wealthy areas, it is deemed as too much effort for less revenue (comparing revenue to english speaking countries or china). So the true reason there are nowadays still so many illegal streaming sites is because the japanese are lazy, believe it or not.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
So the true reason there are nowadays still so many illegal streaming sites is because the japanese are lazy, believe it or not.

The reason so many illegal streaming sites exist is because it's an easy way to make money. And most people who use those sites are FROM places where legal access is easy.

[Edit]: Make your point without insulting people. Errinundra.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And most people who use those sites are FROM places where legal access is easy.

Any statistics you wish to share with the readers?
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Kaeru89 wrote:
I think everyone in UK who watches anime regularly should buy Crunchyroll. This way we could watch waaay more anime shows in original version, fast, with good translation, with good sound and video in 1080p.

Uhh, what? CR audio is "pretty" bad (128 kbps AAC). And they literally don't give a damn 'bout video quality. You can't even compare their "1080p" to Amazon's.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Omega13 wrote:
Perhaps, but until 'inexpensive' becomes 'free', piracy will never go away. Heck, even then it will remain just for those who want to 'stick it to the man'.

Engaging in piracy isn't 'free' either. While there are always people with more time than money, for things that are licensed these days the legal sites are much cheaper and more convenient for me to access.

That's entirely without getting into the immorality of people using and defending the illegal sites for licensed anime.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering what Amazon is doing with their double paywall, I suspect there'll be an uptick in people using "alternative methods" to view new shows. This will likely mean more visitors to various torrent sites.
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
While there are always people with more time than money, for things that are licensed these days the legal sites are much cheaper and more convenient for me to access.

Meaning that, you like how CR site dies every Saturday?
Nah, torrenting stuff is way more convenient. You can even change font etc.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I imagine there must have been a decline in the demand for pirating content now that it's so easy and inexpensive to watch legally.
This definitely doesn't apply to me since I'm not American, I'm Dutch.

Yes, I can get a Crunchyroll membership and I've considered it multiple times, but I've always decided against it for various reasons (especially after they pulled that bitrate situation recently).
I simply hate how streamers are in a freaking competition of who gets what titles which is just annoying. I know, business and all, but I don't want to pay for multiple streamers just to watch certain other titles... oh wait, I'm not American so in some cases that is actually impossible.
I'm not going to defend Nyaa, because it was flatout illegal. At the same time, things like Anime Strike I absolutely cannot defend either.

I do want to add that I support the anime industry by buying/importing UK and US BD/DVD releases since that's the best legal way of doing it for me, even if it's a pain to import at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I've watched shows illegally. You've watched shows illegally. We've all watched show illegally. Now I've watched 90 percent of stuff legally in the last few years, but I occasionally use alternative streaming sites as well. It's usually for unlicensed stuff, but still illegal. I've never used the torrent sites tho.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
It's usually for unlicensed stuff, but still illegal. I've never used the torrent sites tho.

See, here's the funny thing: you're actually doing more harm by using illegal streaming sites then you would be if you just torrented the anime. At least when you torrent you don't put money in the pockets of people who don't deserve it.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I imagine there must have been a decline in the demand for pirating content now that it's so easy and inexpensive to watch legally.

As has been mentioned before - LOL, NO. Only if you're in the US.

Personally, I would pay money to stream anime, but the reality is this: Crunchyroll and Netflix are the only legal streaming sites available where I live, and their libraries are only a small fraction of their US library, including currently airing shows. Hulu and Funimation? Not available. Amazon? We don't even have our local Amazon version, never mind Anime Strike (which is US only, of course). And while I have Netflix, frankly I'm not paying for Crunchyroll to may or may not be able to watch the two or three series I watch per season, never mind the whole issue with their video quality.

So yeah. Surprise: more people would watch stuff legally if said stuff was legally available. Sure, it wouldn't eliminate piracy altogether, but region locks and delayed releases are a surefire way to make even those pirate who normally wouldn't mind paying. It's the 21st century, very few people are willing to sit back and not watch stuff that is not legally available for them.

(Also: Amazon can go and eff themselves. Licensing worldwide rights for shows and then making them unavailable for 99% of the world, and the remaining 1% can only watch them if they pay twice? Get the hell out. Just... get the hell out.)
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
xchampion wrote:
It's usually for unlicensed stuff, but still illegal. I've never used the torrent sites tho.

See, here's the funny thing: you're actually doing more harm by using illegal streaming sites then you would be if you just torrented the anime. At least when you torrent you don't put money in the pockets of people who don't deserve it.

+1

Yeah, torrenting is quite harmless. Only illegal streamings make money out of piracy, and they should die.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For those unaware, the main torrent site that feeds the anime downloaders of the world, NYAA, shut down unexpectedly in the last 36 hours.

Well, that explains why some torrents I had weren't seeding yesterday. It sucks that Nyaa went down, but I'm not too worried; there'll always be a way to watch the occasional movie or OVA. What worries me more...

Quote:
Another anime torrent site that specialized in archival of older anime recently locked off access to the general public and went members-only.

...is this. I was pretty sure I knew what site this was referring to, and I was right (Not sure if it wasn't named because Justin just didn't know or if he was specifically avoiding it, so I'll ere on the side of caution). And apparently it's exclusive to anyone who was a member before the change. I didn't really get older anime from any other site, and there doesn't seem to be that much demand for it, so I'm not sure there'll be a good replacement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13