• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Living Swords and Pretty Boys: What Is Touken Ranbu?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
AHHHH Touken Ranbu!!! Very Happy

I got into the Hanamaru anime when the dub premiered, and I've not looked back since. While I haven't truly played the game, I've watched playthroughs. You can play the game without knowing the kanji, but I want to understand kanji a little better before I play it myself.

This article was about the historical/accuracy of the sword boys, but admittedly, I'm here because of the boys. Razz There are more than 60 characters in game, and you'll get attached to the various groups (cough, ships, cough) that pop up.

Fav sword boy: Mikazuki Munechika. One of the most beautiful and powerful swords in the game, and an extremely laid-back grandpa. Laughing They call him "Jiji-san". Anime hyper
Shane Evandra Degat

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
It's not just a simple "fujoshi phenomenon" its MUCH MORE than that. (very clickbait title I see, but lets forget that, everyone does that)

Like the article said, they are able to fund the project to replicate Hotarumaru, an oodachi from fan's donation. Not just that, swords that was in private collections are finally out for public display even for a short period ie; Yamanbagiri kunihiro
Less people was visiting museums, but with Touken Ranbu more and more people are visiting, it and taking interest in the sword-making art.
Now, when people gets interested in the sword (in game), they inevitably will learn more about the sword's history. For example, Souza Samonji, who dubbed himself as the Sword of the Conquerors, was owned by the 3 Conquerors of Japan, Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu. Fans who are interested in the character will learn how he is passed down to the 3 historical figures and learn more about Japanese history at the same time.

Now lets talk about the 2.5D adaptation of the game, now we have a straight play and the musical for this franchise, both of them are handled and produced by two different company, namely Marvelous Inc. and Nelke.Co but are still overseer by Nitroplus. I wanna talk about the musical (Toumyu for short).
In November 2016, a special Toumyu performance was held in Itsukushima Shrine (specifically Itsukushima Jinja Taka-Butai (High Stage) - One of Japan’s Kokuhou (National Treasure)) to commemorate Itsukushima Shrine’s 20th year of becoming one of UNESCO World Heritage Site. Do you see how big deal it is, not just they are contributing to the preservation of history, they also contributes to the Japan's Tourism.

tl;dr Touken Ranbu is really a massive deal even if its relatively unknown outside Japan because very little franchise have achieve what Touken Ranbu had done and its only been around for 2 years.
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Once in a while (I did it a few days ago), I'll tweet at the Tourabu staff and ask when the game will be ported in English. If it's in Chinese, there's hope for us to get it to this side of the world. I need to play this like I'm playing BotW.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Typo. "That was actually our dream from the beginning at Nitropluls."

It's Nitroplus, not Nitropluls.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Before I watched the vid I was like, "if this ad is gonna be anything like what they did for the Free! franchise, I'm not watching the show." Now that I've watched it, I think it might be worth considering.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It's rekijo, not rekijō.

As for the show, I'm cautiously hopeful that they can make something interesting enough to hook even people who aren't interested in the pretty boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1