• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Yaoi Anime Get Dubbed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
YOI is a BL anime. Don't skirt around it. It is a fairly generic sports show with a decent but generic story and decent to mediocre production quality. I am willing to bet both my computer and my phone that a similar show without the BL aspect would have sold nowhere near half as many BD copies.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Just be honest about it.

My guy, do you run around correcting folks who call Cross Game a baseball or sports anime, too? Laughing Because that has a central relationship between the two leads in it, as well. I'm guessing not tho, since the relationship in that story is a heterosexual one.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

The truth has been spoken. If YOI wasn't BL it would have faded into obscurity since aside from the homosexual relationship it brings nothing of interest. Maybe the few dance routines that were greatly animated, but that's hardly what would bring the big sales.

While I don't actually disagree that the relationship in YOI is what made it remarkable and is largely responsible for its popularity, I still think that jumping from that point to deciding that it is BL is like... at all logical lol

Like, there are plenty of anime that have one strong, remarkable trait (sakuga, soundtrack, whatever) but I have never even heard of a Soundtrack Anime?

Just because an aspect is the cause of a thing's popularity, doesn't work in reverse and make the anime That Thing?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Uhm.... BL means Boy Love or shounen-ai if you want the japanese term. If the relationship is about two boys in love, it's BL. Yuri On Ice is 100% a BL anime. I don't see how anyone can soundly argue against that. The two boys are in love, their relationship is a major focus of the anime... it's BL. End of story.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the DRAMAtical Murder and No. 6 being dubbed too. I loved them both, yet No. 6 was the better dub.

DMM being dubbed was the WORST however, I loved the game, loved the subbed version to the point I have the Jellyfish Song from the anime on my iPod. But the dubbed version was horrible. They picked the wrong cast and everything...it did make me wonder until YoI got dubbed if almost all yaoi dubs would've turned out this bad.

Yuri on Ice and No. 6 are good dubs...DRAMAtical Murder...not so much.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I know what the words mean, but (& I'm starting to wonder if maybe you just don't know this?) BL, the way we use it in application to anime and manga, is a category? Much like how we call something "Magical Girl" anime or "Sports" anime or "Shoujo" or "Mecha."

Like you're arguing with me like it's an adjective, but it's a proper noun.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
I think the shock part is that it wasn't baiting at all, it was a gay relationship not like the rest of sport anime when they are like "they're close but they won't do in it, or will they?". And most shocking to me is that it felt natural instead of forced like the rest of BL anime that I've watched

I think it is the opposite of what you say. Yuri on Ice had two or three moments of meaningful and sincere romantic development, but there was too much gay baiting and pandering to consider the gay relationship between the leads natural/normal.

I still give YOI points for having gay characters, but they handled homosexuality in a sensationalist manner most of the time.

I don't know if it felt completely natural or normal but when compared to things like Junjou Romantica, Love Stage or Super Lovers I think it did a waaay better job at presenting that, in the ones I mentioned the scenerio is "I'm gonna force you to love me" pretty much, I didn't get that from Yuri on Ice
kpk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
treeofjessie wrote:
PLEASE DON'T MISTAKE ME THO: I still think No. 6 is lovely, and I still agree that it had big, giant balls; I just wanted to point out that its kisses and YOI's were not comparable, from like... a consequences standpoint. lol
Doesn't mean it wasn't doing something SUPER RISKY and still pretty amazing, tho.

No. 6 might be THE most progressive show I've ever seem when it comes to how it handled same-sex relationship. It wasn't a queer-themed show about same-sex relationships, it was a a big genre sci-fi, horror show that just happened to have the main romance be between two people of the same gender, with the relationship play very straightforward like any heterosexual relationship in any other show/movie and never made a big deal out of it. The two were also never labeled as "gay" so to speak, just two people who fell in love who just happens to both be boys. This, to me, is the future and how same-sex relationships should be handled. We should get more shows/movies like that!
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

YOI is a BL anime. Don't skirt around it. It is a fairly generic sports show with a decent but generic story and decent to mediocre production quality. I am willing to bet both my computer and my phone that a similar show without the BL aspect would have sold nowhere near half as many BD copies.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Just be honest about it.

Where shall I pick up your I mean my Computer and Phone? Sure YOI has BL elements but to say it would not have done well without it is conjecture at best. I know lots of people who enjoyed YOI that didn't like the BL aspects of the show. Of course most of them were JJ fans, but you can't win them all Laughing
MissT

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, all the pro-yoi but anti-bl fans really bugs me, they just reek of moral superiority, all "I'm not like one of those girls!!!11". Especially considering how yoi relies so many BL tropes it's not even funny (okay it's a little bit funny).

treeofjessie wrote:
Yamada & Scum's wish were both very late night, adult rated anime, yes? Like they both centred around sexual content, I believe (haven't seen Yamada, but I think I read that about it) so that's why they're fine, even if they aren't specifically in the Yaoi/BL categories.

Not sure what you (or japan for that matter) are defining as "sexual content", but Yamada-kun revolved around kissing but there was no sex at all. It was a rom-com with some ecchi elements. For the record, Yoi aried at 2:21am JST and Yamada-kun at 11:30pm JST, so it wasn't that much different, they were both late night animes (like most animes not targeted towards kids are).
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
missts wrote:
Honestly, all the pro-yoi but anti-bl fans really bugs me, they just reek of moral superiority, all "I'm not like one of those girls!!!11". Especially considering how yoi relies so many BL tropes it's not even funny (okay it's a little bit funny).

ok so on one hand, I agree with you that the "not like one of those girls!!" stuff is super wack and unacceptable; it's misogynist as hell, but I guess I just don't know why you think all women who push back against YOI being categorized this way are ANTI BL. We're not. I'm not. I'll be the first one to admit that I like and consume BL. You wanna talk about some sometime?
Like, you've got me all wrong here friend, based on what I can only see as a few assumptions about me on a personal level. Let me try and clear myself up for you: I am queer, and as such, I have a personal interest in queer analysis and representation in all things. And since I like anime, well, anime is one of them. I guess I can't speak for everyone else, but I definitely CAN confirm for you that my reasoning for this pushback is not mine alone; I know several other folks who share these thoughts with me.
Basically i think it's pretty messed up that anything with a queer (in this case, M/M) relationship gets pigeonholed into BL(or Yuri, or whatever), no matter what. Like if Yuri (or Victor) were a woman, I don't feel like anyone would be arguing with me over whether or not YOI is sports anime. And it's really important for real live queers to have access to everything, you dig? All genres. It's important for EVERYBODY, really, but especially queer people. This isn't my only reason, but it's the most important one to me.

missts wrote:
Not sure what you (or japan for that matter) are defining as "sexual content", but Yamada-kun revolved around kissing but there was no sex at all. It was a rom-com with some ecchi elements. For the record, Yoi aried at 2:21am JST and Yamada-kun at 11:30pm JST, so it wasn't that much different, they were both late night animes (like most animes not targeted towards kids are).

Like I said; I hadn't seen Yamada, and only had vague notions about it based on things I had read. I talked quite a bit in previous contents about what I meant by sexual content (please see my long comment extrapolating on Bill 156 for more info) but the issue is specifically ABOUT the definition being unclear. So if you're confused, please understand that that is the point, really.
I'm not sure why you bring up the airtime/fact that they were late night Anime's, though? Like you seem like you are disagreeing with me, but I already mentioned this myself?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I'm confused about this, since I know series like Prisma Illya showed same sex kisses between young girl characters (Kuro and Miyu, Kuro and Illya, etc). Also Super Lovers is a more modern yaoi anime that does show kissing so I'm wondering why these series were safe from this bill.

The bill isn't really the reason, it's just a scapegoat for people who want to explain away why YOI never moved beyond bait territory. As people have said other shows have shown far more explicit homosexual content at earlier timeslots. Yuri on Ice was also a late-night anime that aired at 2:30 AM, so its no different than other shows mentioned.

It's fine if people want to call the show progressive or whatever, but let's not act like there was some looming government censorship out to oppress the show and hinder it. The ambiguity was purposely done by the director, not a mandate forced upon her but not upon the countless other shows allowed to show more explicit content.

DmonHiro wrote:
Uhm.... BL means Boy Love or shounen-ai if you want the japanese term. If the relationship is about two boys in love, it's BL. Yuri On Ice is 100% a BL anime. I don't see how anyone can soundly argue against that. The two boys are in love, their relationship is a major focus of the anime... it's BL. End of story.

Disagree completely. YOI would never have been so successful if it was pure BL. No more than you can call Madoka yuri because of Madoka and Homura undertones. YOI appealed to sports fans, drama fans, and a wide variety of fans. One can make the argument the ambiguity of previously mentioned BL content was not to pigeonhole the series or turn off a wider viewer base.

-Stuart Smith
Suena

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It's a pity they had to do a simul-dub for YOI though. I love Josh Grelle and Jerry Jewell, but I don't think their voices were suitable for Yuri/Victor. I don't think simul-dubbing is conducive to making good dubs.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
The bill isn't really the reason, it's just a scapegoat for people who want to explain away why YOI never moved beyond bait territory. As people have said other shows have shown far more explicit homosexual content at earlier timeslots. Yuri on Ice was also a late-night anime that aired at 2:30 AM, so its no different than other shows mentioned.

I'd actually like to contend this assertion people keep making about YOI being bait, but honestly I'm already starting to feel kinda overwhelmed by this thread. I just wanna say that it's not really a binary (bait vs overt representation) & I don't think that a character has to necessarily be like YO IM GAY!!!!!!!!!!!! to have pushed beyond the threshold of bait. Like queerbait actually describes something more specific than that.

Stuart Smith wrote:
It's fine if people want to call the show progressive or whatever, but let's not act like there was some looming government censorship out to oppress the show and hinder it. The ambiguity was purposely done by the director, not a mandate forced upon her but not upon the countless other shows allowed to show more explicit content.

You make this sound like I am making a much stronger statement than I feel like I am, here. Like I'm not saying that Japanese Government Censors are laying in wait to trap any creator that steps outta line with The Gayness. I'm just pointing out that the way the Bill is written is vague in a way that means that they COULD have trouble for it, and people know this. A similar sort of thing happens in modern American politics as well, if you follow those. And I mean I ALSO talked about cultural influences that I feel are relevant, so it's not like I'm not acknowledging those. Can I ask you why the reason needs to be only one thing?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Anime Works eventually dub Loveless?
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Anime Works eventually dub Loveless?

Yeah, it was one of those good-selling sub-only titles like Dokuro-chan & Kashimashi were so they went back and had it dubbed in North Carolina.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7