• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Here, we have different standards. In Japan, sexual content is okay in mild doses, but violence has to be toned to a certain level for kids. Here, it's the opposite. Personally, I watched the original DB when I was 8 and it never ruined me. I actually found Master Roshi amusing.
peno

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:

Well he has no rights to control on what people can do with their lives. I don't get why it's okay for kids in Japan under 10 watching stuff like One Piece, but not kids in the US? We are all human and it's not like Japan have special brains or anything.

Sheltering kids and letting them not watching these type of stuff until 13 or older would probably do more harm than good. See how they react to it first. If they can't handle it at a young age, try again when they are older. If they can handle it and know that it's a cartoon, let them explore other types of anime or other media.

Kids should have fun in their childhood. Seeing something grown up like Robocop or playing Resident Evil as a kid made you feel cool and awesome because it was grown up. It was something new and different to a kid because it was extreme and not kiddy like Blues Clues.

Some of you guys may not even remember when M rated video games like Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil was play a lot of kids in the 90's and they grew up to be normal every day people.

Actually, I don't think it's OK for kids even in Japan to watch One Piece, just like it's not OK for them to play Mortal Combat or Resident Evil. I am not for sheltering kids from mature themes, I agree that could cause them harm too and it's the other extreme of bad parenting. However, one should keep it appropriate. Also, keep in mind that kids are different and some mature sooner than others and what may be OK for one 10 years old, may not be OK for another. Still, One Piece is quite an extreme IMO. And so is DBZ. DB or Digimon Tamers may be better, though still heavy on the mature things. But, as I said, the main point here is that parents should watch things with their kids or monitor what they play, be there to answer questions that may pop up and even be ready to turn it off if they feel their kids are not up for it.
Also, very important thing here is this:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, if a parent shows their kids some entertainment and they don't like it, a good parent will back down. Only a bad parent will force it harder. I do hope everyone here who suggests something above the child's age range will back down if their children don't appear comfortable watching whatever they're seeing.

Don't forget this and you will be fine as parent, uncle/aunt or babysitter.

Last edited by peno on Wed May 10, 2017 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
meowneko wrote:
kids today are NOT like kids when i was one. We thought "grown-up shows" to be gross, and we would very much prefer Pokémon or even "girls anime" such as Sailor Moon to, say, NCIS:Los Angeles. Today it's the other way round. So i agree that as soon as kids seem to find romance/fighting to be their thing, show them related anime see if they like.

The kids you knew, I guess. I relished at the opportunity to see anything grown-up when I was a little kid, and so did most of my peers. Sleep overs with more lax families was always an experience my siblings and I looked forward to. And we even had somewhat of an underground R-rated movie trade going on with other kids at church.
In contrast, my nieces are huge into magical girl-esque stuff, and my nephews into lots of other younger-age-targeted stuff. I stand by my statement. Kids today are no different than they ever were. Their environment might change their tastes and interests, but they aren't inherently different. No more ADD and all of that stuff I already said.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Well my point is that I feel like anime that aired on CN back then would be fine for younger kids. DBZ, Naruto, Zatch Bell and Rave Master come to mind. Not to mention DBZ is TV-PG now which is the same rating that Adventure Time and Uncle Grandpa have.

Yeah, I admit it was just a matter of verbal tense slightly changing the meaning of the sentence.

relyat08 wrote:
The kids you knew, I guess. I relished at the opportunity to see anything grown-up when I was a little kid, and so did most of my peers. Sleep overs with more lax families was always an experience my siblings and I looked forward to. And we even had somewhat of an underground R-rated movie trade going on with other kids at church.
In contrast, my nieces are huge into magical girl-esque stuff, and my nephews into lots of other younger-age-targeted stuff. I stand by my statement. Kids today are no different than they ever were. Their environment might change their tastes and interests, but they aren't inherently different. No more ADD and all of that stuff I already said.

On the other hand, the coffee-drinking age keeps getting lower and lower. I remember it was quite a shock when I was in the 8th grade and I saw maybe one or two of my classmates drinking coffee (or the fact that my middle school had a coffee machine at all). Now little kids are going to Starbucks, culminating in the Unicorn Frappuccino (which has no caffeine in it, and which I failed to secure one of before they sold out everywhere).
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
"Kemono no Souja Erin" is somewhat of a family show but it gets dark (somewhat on the level of the Disney version of "Hunchback" and other classic Disney cartoons). I would recommend it to kids at least 10+.

Erin is a premiere example of why I think parents need to pre-screen most shows for kids. Episode seven of Erin could be traumatic for some children depending on their constitutions and their life experiences. Nothing in the previous six episodes prepares you emotionally for the events in seven either.

I haven't seen Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") mentioned in this thread. It was aired in "family-friendly" timeslots like early Sunday morning and late Saturday afternoon. The captioning in the OP and ED uses hiragana (I believe) which is a good bellwether that the producers expect children to be watching. The music video for the first OP, "Feel so Moon," shows a lot of kids. On Crunchyroll.

Another show for kids who like science is the recent Time Travel Shoujo on Funimation. It follows twelve-year-old Mari as she searches for her father who is traveling in the past. Along the way she meets up with a number of famous scientists and inventors like Michael Faraday and Benjamin Franklin. As these names suggest, the show focuses on advances in our understanding of electromagnetism. Time Travel Shoujo has an unscrupulous capitalist as the villain, as does Noein, another show I'd recommend to scientifically-oriented kids ten and over. I didn't find either of these guys convincing, but then I'm not eleven.

As always I think everyone should watch Dennou Coil.
Poemi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
My 3 year old watched Bananya on Crunchyroll with me. She loved it and the theme song. You don't need to understand anything to enjoy it, since the Bananyas don't talk, but you might want to translate the narration to make it more interactive. Maybe Panyo Panyo Digi Charat, Magical Girl Pretty Sammi, or Ojamajo Doremi will be better for the younger ones too? I can't remember too well.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Here, we have different standards. In Japan, sexual content is okay in mild doses, but violence has to be toned to a certain level for kids. Here, it's the opposite. Personally, I watched the original DB when I was 8 and it never ruined me. I actually found Master Roshi amusing.

That's what I never get though. I would imagine if kids in Japan can grow up to be normal people and watch stuff like Fist of the North Star back in the 80's as kids that the US would have similar standards. The whole "Kids becoming a killer" from playing violent video games or watching movies was never real to begin with.

One Piece is a Shonen just like Digimon and they are both aim to a similar audience. Same goes with Naruto, DBZ and Rave Master.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Anime for kids is both more violent and more sexual than cartoons for kids. The violence/sex dichotomy only comes into play in more extreme examples like video games.

Spawn29 wrote:
Well my point is that I feel like anime that aired on CN back then would be fine for younger kids. DBZ, Naruto, Zatch Bell and Rave Master come to mind. Not to mention DBZ is TV-PG now which is the same rating that Adventure Time and Uncle Grandpa have.

Those dubs were all censored, though. Generally, any non Adult Swim TV dub would be fine for kids since they are sanitized. One Piece, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!'s dubs would be fine for kids given all the violence and sexual content is removed. The original versions? Presumably not, given that was why they were censored to begin with: to make them kid friendly in America.

-Stuart Smith
meowneko

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
And the point was touched, i believe.

I can speak for myself but i think it's a similar story with everyone else: what element hooked us to anime back then? that omnipresent thing that made you, me and all of us stick to certain "cartoons" rather than just taking everything at viewpoint (like early babies do)? The one that still is omnipresent and makes all of us gather round, as people in their 40's and 50s would say "pointless shows for kids"

Emotions.

In my view what engaged and still engages me to Anime is, amongst a lot other things, the emotional conveyor that anime can and almost always is. No matter what, western shows were funny but felt kinda fuzzy and pointless with time. But with anime? A story or even a bunch of stories are woven. We relate to the characters. Create emotional bonds with them. We cry when they are hurt. We smile when things went good and the feeling of "job done" arrives. We get the need for more when that story reaches a conclusion and we watch those ending credits for the last time. So what do we do? We go find new stories to watch. New adventures waiting for us.

I've arrived at this conclusion after being 9 episodes away from the end of my rewatching of Tokyo Mew Mew. I watched that show, non-sequentially and locally dubbed on a cable-acess kids channel, when i was about 11 or 12 years old. It was, for me, one of if not THE actual favorite show, that i remember being absolutely gutted when i missed an episode. I think the only other ones that had that effect on me were Card Captor Sakura and Magical Doremi.

Anyway, I'm now 23, yet somehow, i still connected. It still pumped up my emotions. I still nearly cried when spoiler[Ichigo fell in the river and nearly drowned] or when spoiler[Ichigo was going to be killed by Pie]. I still feared for the girls whenever the aliens' attacks were getting better and better. I was still heartbroken when spoiler[ after the Mew Mews succeded in containing the alien's equivalent of 10 nuclear bomb explosions, a small piece of mew aqua hits and apparently nearly kills Masaya] and heartwarmed when spoiler[Ichigo finally reveals herself to Masaya and he accepts everything out of his love for her].

This is an anime universally seen as a kids anime. How is it possible that it is engaging a 23 year old?
Quote:
You could argue that this 23 year old is either quite childish or something is wrong in his brain code

but i like to believe that this is the power of anime. For the record, i've seen quite dark anime, such as Another and Black Lagoon. I've seen shonens such as Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball and One Piece. I've seen animes such as Hyperdimension Neptunia, No Game No Life, Mirai Nikki and The World God Only Knows.

All of them engaged me for quite a while, but most of all many became memorable. I sure as hell remember spoiler[how of an asshole Katsuragi could be to all the girls he needed to conquer]. I sure as hell remember that time when spoiler[we thought Lucy was going to die] and speaking of FT, spoiler[that time where Wendy realizes her entire guild was a lie (before joining FT)]. I sure as hell remember the magic words Pirica Piri Lala, they're not hard to know if you say them LOTS! OF! TIMES!. (that was the lyrics of the local dub i used to watch btw).

So, after i've put my heart out, what does any of that have to do with what anime do you show to kids.

Everything.

I've started with locally dubbed anime and that is what you should do. Check your local kids channel and see what they broadcast. It's bound to have some anime there. Select from the anime and watch the show together. Once they are old enough to understand that those "cartoons" are actually japanese, ask them if they are curious to see them in their original voice, with subtitles. That's how i got into subbed anime, although much later in life. Like, at age 18 or something. I was into Fairy Tail, and a friend of mine was too, but i was watching the dubs, and he suggested me the subs since "it was better and there are more episodes". BAM! Instant hit. The emotion conveyor effect is severely lost in dubs especially if they're not well done.

But most of all, not everyone is equal and like everything in this world, YMMV and if your child doesn't like anime, let them at least construct a valid reason. As in, don't force it, but don't stop trying. Who knows if they dislike it as kids but end up liking it as teens?

It's quite late in the night as i end this post so, peace!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Anime for kids is both more violent and more sexual than cartoons for kids. The violence/sex dichotomy only comes into play in more extreme examples like video games.

-Stuart Smith

Depends on what you mean by violence. The Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery cartoon violence is incredibly intense, way more so than most to all anime aimed at kids--it's just bloodless slapstick. (Also, anime IS cartoons.)

meowneko wrote:

I've started with locally dubbed anime and that is what you should do. Check your local kids channel and see what they broadcast. It's bound to have some anime there. Select from the anime and watch the show together. Once they are old enough to understand that those "cartoons" are actually japanese, ask them if they are curious to see them in their original voice, with subtitles. That's how i got into subbed anime, although much later in life. Like, at age 18 or something. I was into Fairy Tail, and a friend of mine was too, but i was watching the dubs, and he suggested me the subs since "it was better and there are more episodes". BAM! Instant hit. The emotion conveyor effect is severely lost in dubs especially if they're not well done.

From what I can gather, it sounds like you're not from the United States, so I should point out that in the United States (which I'm sure forms the lion's share of visitors to this site and of people who would be reading this comment thread), there is hardly any anime on channels aimed at kids that isn't late-night fare. Disney XD is the only remaining one that shows it, which is just Pokémon and Yo-Kai Watch. (Doraemon could technically count, as Disney XD hasn't officially canceled it, but they haven't shown any episodes in over a year.) They're available streaming, though you'd have to know what to look for, and American localization companies other than Viz put kids at a rather low priority so there isn't that much other than archives of older shows.

The other reason for a lack of anime on American television is because we're already producing so much kids television that there isn't really any room for anime. It isn't cost-effective for a number of reasons, some of which are unique to the United States.

Besides tuning in to Disney XD at the right time, the only other option is to use whatever streaming service you have (all of the major ones have at least a few anime shows aimed at kids), which requires a parent who knows anime at least fairly well, as they're never going to find these shows otherwise.

meowneko wrote:
As in, don't force it, but don't stop trying. Who knows if they dislike it as kids but end up liking it as teens?

Based on experience, the harder you try to get your kids to like something, the less likely they'll like it. They'll soon associate whatever it is with their parents being angry and frustrated, and they'll definitely not enjoy it.

The surest way to get your children to share your interest is to let them see you, the parent, enjoying something on your own. Children look for role models, and parents are the most readily available ones (well, sometimes, older siblings can be more influential, but it depends on the household). Since children learn through imitation and repetition, they'll naturally want to do the same things as you do. But you must keep a distant hand--get too invasive and they'll dart, never to return.

And take your time: You can tell a kid has taken to a book, movie, game, or TV show by going through it again and again and again, sometimes for months. Let it run its course. Grown-ups like going from one thing to another, but kids like to relive things they really like. (That being said, anime itself is well known enough that kids will likely discover it on their own many times during their years. If it turns out anime is not for them, it's not for them, and they'll know whether they'll like it later on without any parental intervention.)
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
I've started a public list of kid-friendly titles with recommended ratings by them (TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG). Still building on it, let me know if there are any recommendations. (Don't always go by the rating on the box; Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is TV-PG but has enough nudity and language it's definitely not a candidate for the list.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I also think the best way to introduced anime to kids based on the hobbies that they like. If they like Transformers, show them a mecha anime like Tetsujin 28-go (2004 TV series) or Gaogaigar. If they like Superheroes then is Heroman or Teknoman.

Stuart Smith wrote:

Those dubs were all censored, though. Generally, any non Adult Swim TV dub would be fine for kids since they are sanitized. One Piece, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!'s dubs would be fine for kids given all the violence and sexual content is removed. The original versions? Presumably not, given that was why they were censored to begin with: to make them kid friendly in America.

-Stuart Smith

I feel like the Japanese versions are not much different (4kids dub of OP was badly edited, but I seen worst). Yu-Gi-Oh is a toy commercial for cards not much different how Transformers and G.I Joe are. Same goes for Digimon and Pokemon.

When people say kids, they normally mean 4-12. If they mean toddler, that would be 1-3 years old. For a 3 year old, something like Neighbor Totoro would be fine. Someone by 5-7 years old can handle DBZ, One Piece or Naruto if they seen PG-13 movies like Batman v Superman. Heck even kids movies like Watership Down is PG and is just as violent as the three that I mention. That's consider to be a family classic (I had to read the book in 2nd grade).

I know every kid is different, but it is better to expose them to something like Naruto or One Piece early so that they can handle things like death and blood when they get older. Otherwise they are going to be shock by something like blood or death as a adult because they never saw anything other than Barney and Sesame Street as a kid.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
When people say kids, they normally mean 4-12. If they mean toddler, that would be 1-3 years old. For a 3 year old, something like Neighbor Totoro would be fine. Someone by 5-7 years old can handle DBZ, One Piece or Naruto if they seen PG-13 movies like Batman v Superman. Heck even kids movies like Watership Down is PG and is just as violent as the three that I mention. That's consider to be a family classic (I had to read the book in 2nd grade).

Live-action movies =/= Animated TV shows.

No way uncut shounen being aimed at kids here would fly. Dismemberment in Naruto, rape and nudity in Yu-Gi-Oh, hell, you can't even show adult characters drinking or smoking anymore, which cuts out tons of shounen by default. Parents might be okay with taking a kid to a PG 13 movie, but that doesnt mean TV isnt held to a stricter stance. You can say 'fudge' in PG13 movies, but you wont see characters casually use it on Nickelodeon any more than you'll see bloody violence and death. And PG13 movies arent exactly 'for kids' to begin with. I grew up on R rated horror flicks like Halloween and Rambo... and when they made a Rambo cartoon for kids it was a joke.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
And yet Batman: The Animated Series is okay for young kids since it air on Fox Kids and KidsWB! which push things on far a kids show can go.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

Live-action movies =/= Animated TV shows.

No way uncut shounen being aimed at kids here would fly. Dismemberment in Naruto, rape and nudity in Yu-Gi-Oh, hell, you can't even show adult characters drinking or smoking anymore, which cuts out tons of shounen by default. Parents might be okay with taking a kid to a PG 13 movie, but that doesnt mean TV isnt held to a stricter stance. You can say 'fudge' in PG13 movies, but you wont see characters casually use it on Nickelodeon any more than you'll see bloody violence and death. And PG13 movies arent exactly 'for kids' to begin with. I grew up on R rated horror flicks like Halloween and Rambo... and when they made a Rambo cartoon for kids it was a joke.

Lord Oink is absolutely right here. Most parents hold cartoons to an entirely different standard. As a direct example, I remember the outcry online when Regular Show (a TV-PG cartoon) used words like "frickin'" and "pissed" in the early episodes. These same parents are more than happy to take their kids to go see Guardians of the Galaxy, which contains a substantial amount of language and innuendo, including both "frickin'" and "pissed".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8