• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan: Junior High BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
This might be a show that is best watched with other fans of Attack on Titan. I watched it recently with a friend, and I enjoyed it much more that time than when it was originally airing. Then again, some of the humor the first time might have been mitigated by wondering when we would see season two.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Junior High is one of those rare where I'd just tell anyobdy to 'just read the manga'. Why? Because it's a lot funnier, especially volumes 3 & 4 I think are hilarious (vol 5 is getting constantly delayed though...). The anime... well, it lacks something. Not entirely what, but it just feels off.

For what it is, it's a harmless show, for Titan fans at least. The later few episodes were pretty enjoyable, I'll give it that, but I do recommend the manga much more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the worst anime comedy series ever, but it sure does a great job of encapsulating a lot of what I hate about anime comedy.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, some of the character traits in this version (such as Conny's rampant stupidity) are played up to such a cartoonish degree that they can be appreciated independent of knowing much about the original characters.

You know, in the original story it's stated that Connie was an idiot, but for me it was one of those tell-but-don't-show things, because I couldn't make out from any of his moments what made him the "idiot" of the group, certainly over Sasha. Only in Junior High do they show his idiocy instead of having us just take their word for it and I was able to believe it.
Quote:
I'm not sure where Jean's grand obsession with being a popular ladies' man comes from, but that is occasionally good for a joke too.

From his initial infatuation with Mikasa, I would think.

This show may both hit and miss, but overall is still an enjoyable addition to my library. My only complaint--there is no subtitle translation for the OP theme. If that's the same for everyone else, then what the heck is up with that? Is this a first for Funimation, something they completely overlooked and forgot to correct before publishing the discs? I know in more ways than one it's a parody of the OP from the original anime, but it's hard getting the full joke if I don't know what they're singing about.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
My only complaint--there is no subtitle translation for the OP theme. If that's the same for everyone else, then what the heck is up with that? Is this a first for Funimation, something they completely overlooked and forgot to correct before publishing the discs? I know in more ways than one it's a parody of the OP from the original anime, but it's hard getting the full joke if I don't know what they're singing about.

I did notice that but completely forgot to comment on it. I don't think it's the first Funi title to skip it; pretty sure I've seen that in at least one other very recent Funi release. Definitely hope it's not the start of a trend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
My only complaint--there is no subtitle translation for the OP theme. If that's the same for everyone else, then what the heck is up with that? Is this a first for Funimation, something they completely overlooked and forgot to correct before publishing the discs? I know in more ways than one it's a parody of the OP from the original anime, but it's hard getting the full joke if I don't know what they're singing about.

I did notice that but completely forgot to comment on it. I don't think it's the first Funi title to skip it; pretty sure I've seen that in at least one other very recent Funi release. Definitely hope it's not the start of a trend.

I noticed that, as well. I know that with the simuldubs they usually don't get the materials for songs until later, so I wonder if maybe somebody forgot to go back and put the song subtitles on there?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
My only complaint--there is no subtitle translation for the OP theme. If that's the same for everyone else, then what the heck is up with that?

At least it's not as bad as Sentai's release of the idol series AKB0048, which left all of the plot-relevant insert songs un-subtitled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1