• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Oreimo Made Little Sisters a Big Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
From my understanding, the appeal of a little sister character is for those who don't actually have a sibling. To them, it's a cute girl who lives in your house and unconditionally loves you. To us, it's creepy.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
^From what I saw in the thread for the Answerman column on incest in anime, some don't let a thing like having a younger sister get in the way of them liking fictional ones. Usually they don't seem to like their actual one, but they probably wouldn't want to tell them about that. Maybe the little sister knows and that's why they act disagreeably. Or maybe it's just siblings fighting. The former is more fun for me though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
From my understanding, the appeal of a little sister character is for those who don't actually have a sibling. To them, it's a cute girl who lives in your house and unconditionally loves you. To us, it's creepy.

I mean, I hate to out myself every time this topic comes up, but I have a fairly large family including two sisters. They are both older than me by a bit, so maybe that invalidates my opinion, but anyway, I do sometimes like incest in fiction regardless(I'd like to emphasize fiction). It's primarily the forbidden aspect of it that I find appealing, but there are other things as well. I lived the majority of my youth literally one small wall away from my sisters' room and shared a bathroom with them for years as well. I can see where that line of thinking comes from, and it probably does remain true for the majority of people, but it hasn't had any negative impact on my interest in the subject matter personally.(I also lived with my ex-girlfriend in the past, so I'm more than used to how one would act and behave when it's personal time.)

HeeroTX wrote:

As a fan of the childhood friend trope, I'll say: I'd believe this IF it weren't for the fact that the VAST majority of the time the childhood friend gets screwed. Heck, I LOVE Tamura from Oreimo, I'm one of the very FEW people that likes that character. And a ton of other otaku shows the childhood friend almost always gets "friend-zoned" out. Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I like Tamura too. And majorly resent the childhood friend never getting chosen. It's one of the things that drives me away from a lot of harems, if I'm being honest.
Sad
DanQ

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Article about little sisters and incest not mentioning Angel Sanctuary? C'mooon ~_^.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
EDIT: Regarding SAO, do you think that Kirito is domineering over Suguha, or is she acting on her own?

It could rain girls all over Kirito. He only cares in a sentimental way about Asuna.

SAO is what i call a "false harem". MC have a GF since very early. Even if other girls appear, they have zero chance of winning.

BTW Suguha is stretching the concept of little sister a bit because she is his cousin and they know it.
Usually little sister refer to blood related or no blood related little sisters (imoutos).
mooseV01

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Ugh... I can't believe this crap is big enough and has a sizable audience to be called it's own genre.

"Little Sister" anime... wtf??
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
Ugh... I can't believe this crap is big enough and has a sizable audience to be called it's own genre.

"Little Sister" anime... wtf??

A lot of people "can't believe" on a lot of stuff, but the fact that they exist, mean that there is a fan base. Laughing
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Yeah, I like Tamura too. And majorly resent the childhood friend never getting chosen. It's one of the things that drives me away from a lot of harems, if I'm being honest.
Sad

Have you seen "Love, Chuunibyou & Other Delusions"? That is one of the few shows that has a childhood friend character (that I REALLY like) that still "shouldn't win" at the end. I give the show MAJOR props for how its all handled. Probably helps that she's not introduced until second season. And right after they show you why she's so great and make you love her, the next episode (through ZERO "fault" of the childhood friend character) shows why she simply can't/shouldn't win.

The one that drives me near insane for screwing the childhood friend is "The World God Only Knows". Evil or Very Mad
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
One thing that dawned on me about incest in anime is that women are more likely to be revulsed and attack it than men. This isn't just from what I'm seeing in this thread either, there's more evidence of them being vocal against it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
^ That makes me think: out of the reverse-harem/otome anime or manga out there, are there any famous ones where a male sibling is a 'contestant'?
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
This thread is rather timely, since Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon has introduced Kaki and Hoshi, another series where it's implied that the big brother likes his little sister.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
^ That makes me think: out of the reverse-harem/otome anime or manga out there, are there any famous ones where a male sibling is a 'contestant'?

Brothers Conflict exist so I guess so. I don't watch reverse harems enough to know how prevalent they are.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

It's not really "reverse harem", but "Marmalade Boy" is one of the more famous female targeted "faux-incest" (they're not blood related) anime/manga. I have no doubt there are more, but I'm not a heavy reader of reverse-harem/otome/women's manga.

I'll also note that they're not (in any way) related, but "Bride's Story" by Kaoru Mori opens with an adult woman marrying a very young boy.
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
I bought the Oreimo ultra special DVD set with the booklet sight unseen because of a particular VA. Months later (more like, years) I popped it in the player and could barely get through about half of the first episode. Shitty characters that behave like shit stains are so not my cup of tea. Kirino is a shitty character that doesn't deserve the limited time I have on this earth. So now my problem has been what to do with the physical copy I bought that I don't want anymore.

The incest doesn't bother me. It's a trope in BL so seeing het incest is not that big of a deal for me. It's Kirino's attitude that I can't abide.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Brothers Conflict exist so I guess so. I don't watch reverse harems enough to know how prevalent they are.

HeeroTX wrote:
It's not really "reverse harem", but "Marmalade Boy" is one of the more famous female targeted "faux-incest" (they're not blood related) anime/manga. I have no doubt there are more, but I'm not a heavy reader of reverse-harem/otome/women's manga.

Both of those are sort of different from the usual little sister story: they're married into a family while teens already and meet handsome boys. The usual little sister story is more about your good ol' imouto that you've known and (maybe) loved is now being recognized as a woman by your hormones.

Like you both I don't really watch or read stuff aimed at women often, so this is more curiosity speaking, but I'm sure there must be some trash on that side too.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6