• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Oreimo Made Little Sisters a Big Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
mooseV01 wrote:
Ugh... I can't believe this crap is big enough and has a sizable audience to be called it's own genre.

"Little Sister" anime... wtf??

A lot of people "can't believe" on a lot of stuff, but the fact that they exist, mean that there is a fan base. Laughing

Its been a thing for thousands of years. Greek Mythology, Japanese Mythology, almost all mythologies are full of incest stories, not only brother-sister but also parents-sons/daughters. Modern times only add slice of life, comedy and moe to the stores.

In my case, I don't go looking for incest stores but if the story turn out to be incest, i don't care and don't drop it, because its only fiction and sometimes forbidden love have some of the best stories.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Its been a thing for thousands of years. Greek Mythology, Japanese Mythology, almost all mythologies are full of incest stories, not only brother-sister but also parents-sons/daughters. Modern times only add slice of life, comedy and moe to the stores.

In my case, I don't go looking for incest stores but if the story turn out to be incest, i don't care and don't drop it, because its only fiction and sometimes forbidden love have some of the best stories.

Same here tbh.

Also, "standards are so low that this 'genre' even became a thing."... u wot m8? There are so many legitimately good classics of literature related to incest, that i don't even know where to begin... Anime dazed

But yeah, just like Jonny mentioned, Incest is strikingly present old stuff, like myths. Just looks at Zeus and Hera, Cronus and Rhea, Uranus and Gaia, Siegmund and Sieglinde, heck, even Mordred is the son of Arthur and Morgana.

Incest has been a "thing" for thousands of years. It's not something that sprung from a Japonese sub-culture.

You considering Incest to be something "low" in literature is rather telling, on the other hand. Confused

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Synopsis for Volume 9 of Eromanga-Sensei...

spoiler[The synopsis of Eromanga-sensei volume 9—to be released on June 9, 2017.

"Long before I've met you for the first time... I love you."

Confiding their past to each other, Masamune and Sagiri has finally joined their hearts together. In order to realize their new relationship, the two starts coming up with their children's name, going to their first date, and having innocent exchanges. What do Elf and Muramasa say to those two!?

"It's something I experienced a few days ago."

Masamune and Kunimitsu are consulted by senior author Kusanagi about accidentally doing a dangerous mistake while drunk. Who is it that appears in his house? And what is the content of Kunimitsu Shidou's new novel?

"I have to apologize to you siblings for something."

Masamune reported his new relationship with Sagiri to their aunt, Kyouka. But Kyouka's response is surprisingly... Kyouka's complicated feelings behind her cold expression are—? The secret that Kyouka has been hiding from the Izumi siblings is finally going to be revealed!
]

It's time to bail my fellow fans. Wink
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
^ That makes me think: out of the reverse-harem/otome anime or manga out there, are there any famous ones where a male sibling is a 'contestant'?

Brothers Conflict exist so I guess so. I don't watch reverse harems enough to know how prevalent they are.

I was just about to comment how I wished they included female oriented things like boku no imouto koi suru or w/e that one Shoujo Manga is called. (On the subject of brocon when it comes to big bro love interests, brocon is an outlier and should not be counted lol. They really aren't that common.)

The Yandere Oniichan trope is often complained about in otone games although it's really not that conmon. I think one of the more early examples is Oniichan from Otometeki koi kakume Love Revo, him being a full blooded brother. It was clearly implied by the ending to be incestous but it wasn't very explicit.

If I remember correctly Iwasaki Daisuke was the director of the game and now is the Main man at Rejet who are infamous for their Rejet Onichans™. Currently we have Lindo from Dance With Devils the brother who's actually a cousin so it's not real incest™, my Favorite is the king of Siscons the unabashedly in love with his half sister Nesso Galland from Black Wolves Saga(he had had one of the most explicit sex scenes in a non adult game lol). There's a range of depravity like Masato from Moshikami, to Ail from Oz to Himitsu no Ai which is one of the more platonic routes. (Let's not forget Last year their april fools thing was Rejestic Brothers. where they faked a game release that was all about finding your Oniichan.)

Otoge by Otomate also do the psuedo oniichan sometimes with the older neighborhood boy you just happened to call oniichan as a kid, such as the infamous Toma from Amnesia. Recently there was Period cube which Imo the main guy was the step bro Shiki. Beasts and Princess had a cousin who was called Oniisama too.

In terms of manga there is a plethora of explicit fetish stuff, one of my favs was Oniichan Dakedo Ecchi ga Shitai because 90% of the story was Saya, the Imouto, having cheesy novel smut based fantasy about her adopted older brother. I laughed a lot because of how goofy it was. In the inevitable ending they were both virgins and couldn't figure out how to do it and went to ask a friend.

Honestly ya'll are argueing about the dynamics of dominence, culture, ect and missing one of the biggest appeals: forbidden love. I've spoken with men who like imouto charas and there deal was the same as me, the forbidden love aspect introduces natural drama and that "we shouldn't be doing this" type of thing that people find hot (similar to student teacher). I read incest because I know I'm going to get something trashy forbidden love type drama thing (and when I don't it's frankly very dissapointing, I want to see the emotional anguish.). Most people I know actually don't like all the little sister baiting that people consider incest anime, and would like more serious works like Koi Kaze. True Love is a recent shoujo manga that took a more serious look at the drama for a good chunk of it.

I also noticed an interesting differnce between stuff targeted towards men vs Women. The stuff for men the imouto chara is usually closer to being a loli than an adult. When it's for Women most oniichan characters are older, 20s range, and the protagonist is usually 16 or older. Specific traits the oniichan characters have are: loyalty to obsession, and protecting their imouto's smile to protecting them from the world by force, that type of characteristics is pretty common (things tend to lean to the yandere side of things when it comes to oniichan charas in media for women). Generally they focus on the Bro's feelings towards their imouto as the catalyst, but like the smut manga I mention that's not always the case. Also like For Mahouka's Miyuki and Tatsuya, a fair counter part could be Tiny and Reigand from TinyxMachingun but Miyuki's brocon is a little bit more sexual than Tiny's brocon.

So there you go there is just as much creepy incest fanservice and fetishing for women as men but it's just handled differntly.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I bought the Oreimo ultra special DVD set with the booklet sight unseen because of a particular VA. Months later (more like, years) I popped it in the player and could barely get through about half of the first episode. Shitty characters that behave like shit stains are so not my cup of tea. Kirino is a shitty character that doesn't deserve the limited time I have on this earth. So now my problem has been what to do with the physical copy I bought that I don't want anymore.

Check out episode 6. Or as I like to think of it:
The best and only truly worthwhile episode of the series. (Grandpa Tamura is AMAZING)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Was waiting for people disgusted by the mere idea of the concept, beholden to pure ideals of morality into fiction, who say "ew gross" and turn tails. I say this as someone who I guess watches these imouto shows, and it has no relation to my relation to my own younger sister. You have the fetish element of forbidden that can kind make something exciting that is a no in real life. But Oreimo in particular, I think there are a range of factors starting in being brave enough to even start, but I also think that how it handled otaku culture was a plus, you had girls in a mostly male orientated show that had some sharing an interest in otaku stuff, but not feeling too unrealistic with their character. Kirino could be a bit of a bitch (don't like uding that word), but she had a lot to her character, and did not feel at the mercy of just being called little sister.

Sagiri might be a recluse 'little sister', but she has the power to do what she likes, and power to stop things she does not like, and that agency is I think part of what makes these works kind of work. Reliant on brother, but still agency that they are not some cardboard cut-out. Brother character works because he understands some boundaries, even if the exact line can be hard. And then the other characters, which so far kind of feel like they are important for support as a baseline.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
spoiler[Masamune reported his new relationship with Sagiri to their aunt, Kyouka. But Kyouka's response is surprisingly... Kyouka's complicated feelings behind her cold expression are—? The secret that Kyouka has been hiding from the Izumi siblings is finally going to be revealed!
]

It's time to bail my fellow fans. Wink

spoiler[Secret? You don't mean... wow... If the publisher didn't allow it last time, at least explicitly stated, would they really let him get his will through this time?]
Welp, I have them bookmarked, but perhaps time to hit those translations of the novels when I have free time(though there'll likely be a wait before that volume reaches translation...).
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
For shoujo works, step sibling romances do occur. I think adoptive dad/adopted daughter romances are more common though. That may be because large age gap romances are more common in media aimed towards women than men.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
The full title of Oreimo is "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute! and How a Stupid Tokyo Law made the ending so confusing"

that there should be the real title because its pretty obvious that all ero and non ero series are going down the non blood related route to avoid being in violation with that stupid tokyo law.

Quote:
In the light novel, they commit the ultimate taboo

which is how the anime and manga should have ended ala koi kaze . i mean its ending didn't cause a massive uproar. if oreimo's author had actually did that, then the ending wouldn't be as controversial since people will indeed know what the ending is going to be instead of all over the place and forcing the author to make that so called "sequel" which was more or less to appease the kuroneko fanbase.

also you cant really call the genre little sister moe theme anymore. hell thanks to oreimo's ending, that crappy tokyo law as well as the otaku community turning away from the genre altogether , its more or less dead on arrival even for the ero side cause like it or not, the only thing people will tolerate from the sibling genre from any LN series is either the adopted not blood related types ala ero manga sensei and other LN series , or their cousins like in SAO's Fairy Dance Arc , tokyo ravens and trinity seven which is more or less weird to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm a NEET but When I Went to Hello Work I Got Taken to Another World

Wow, what a title! Laughing
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
For shoujo works, step sibling romances do occur. I think adoptive dad/adopted daughter romances are more common though. That may be because large age gap romances are more common in media aimed towards women than men.

It's amazing that anyone thinks this is particularly new. Utena had no less than three different sibling-love situations. Admittedly, Utena was itself fairly boundary-pushing, but there's clearly a long history of at least approaching the subject of forbidden romances and big-brother/little-sister complexes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Locking necro thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6