• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid — Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I do wish MKDM had a few more episodes to explore the relations between Kanna and Riko a bit further...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
There's a Kanna-centric spin off, but at one volume it wouldn't be more than a short special.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
Kinda surprised there was no mention of that one line in the dub.

It's so bad, so completely against their characters, and doesn't fit with the show at all.

The original line was:
Tohru: "What's with that outfit?"
Lucoa: "Everyone was always saying something to me, so I tried toning down the exposure. How is it?"
Tohru: "You should try changing your body next."
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
The review for the DB is re-directing to the Streaming review forum. Is that intended?

Anyway...did the fix they dub? You don't make mention of that. The original simuldub had re-written lines to basically make Kobayashi "not into girls" - a line that wasn't used in Japanese. I won't watch it dubbed regardless, but I refuse to give them any money if they didn't fix their anti-gay rewriting of the show.

And also the scene pwnagemaster mentioned. Did they fix that garbage? it doesn't even match Lucoa's character for her to be talking about " patriarchal societal demands". As someone on reddit said, it wasn't a dub. It was fanfiction written over the original lines. Same as turning Kobayashi straight.

edit: really glad you at least mentioned the soundtrack. One of the best of it's year but overlooked for some reason. Masumi Itou is always amazing.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Anyway...did the fix they dub? You don't make mention of that. The original simuldub had re-written lines to basically make Kobayashi "not into girls" - a line that wasn't used in Japanese. I won't watch it dubbed regardless, but I refuse to give them any money if they didn't fix their anti-gay rewriting of the show.

That line is NOT ANTIGAY! I hate that people keep pushing that narrative. The line is Tooru saying how she loves Kobayashi and in the dub Kobayashi simply says "But I'm not into girls" as opposed to the Japanese "But I'm a girl..."

The English is actually more accepting since she's acknowledging homosexual feelings are a thing and people have relationships like that, just not something that she personally experiences or is interested at the time. In the Japanese she's dismissive of the possibility of a relationship cause they're the same gender THAT'S ACTUALLY WORSE!

Not to mention the whole point of the series is how the relationship between Tooru and Kobayashi grows and Kobayashi begins to feel how her relationship with Tooru deepens, so having that line at the start shows her growth as well since she very much starts the series somewhat asexual, Kobayashi's not attracted to really anyone at the start of the series, not guys or girls so the line once again makes perfect sense.

People are just looking for a reason to get mad, the line is perfectly fine, it might be a slightly mistranslated but stop saying it's Anti-Gay. Saying "i'm not into girls" doesn't slight the gay community.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:

It's so bad, so completely against their characters, and doesn't fit with the show at all.

The original line was:
Tohru: "What's with that outfit?"
Lucoa: "Everyone was always saying something to me, so I tried toning down the exposure. How is it?"
Tohru: "You should try changing your body next."

It's also a weird thing to say, because the OAV -- and the manga chapter it's based on -- both Lucoa and Tohru reveal that none of the dragons can really choose what they'll look like in human form, whether they're male OR female. Meaning Tohru's dialogue might be understandable if it came from Kobayashi, but Tohru should've known that Lucoa can't DO that.

If I understood their explanation correctly, at least.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

And also the scene pwnagemaster mentioned. Did they fix that garbage? it doesn't even match Lucoa's character for her to be talking about " patriarchal societal demands". As someone on reddit said, it wasn't a dub. It was fanfiction written over the original lines. Same as turning Kobayashi straight.
Is it really "fanfiction" when it's grounded in the original lines? The idea of "women should be modest and covered up" is nothing if not a patriarchal societal demand. I agree that it sounds a bit out of place, but it's not a total rewrite: it's just replacing Japanese vagueness with something more specific.

And these kinds of small political digs are nothing new, nor are they limited to Funimation. Like this line from ep 23 of ADV's Rune Soldier, back in 2004:

(scene: city official announcing restrictive, anti-adventurer rules, like a curfew)

Sub: Third, suspicious persons will be taken into custody.
Dub: Third, any persons acting suspiciously will be labeled as enemy combatants and taken into custody.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The review for the DB is re-directing to the Streaming review forum. Is that intended?

They changed the words to fit the mouth flaps... "but I'm a girl" doesn't fit so it's "But I'm not into girls." Kobayashi is asexual in that the idea of being either attracted to men or women hasn't occurred to her so you turning her gay right away is its own affront to the character.

See it as "But I'm not into girls"... yet. It's better than the... sigh... straight translation of "But I'm a girl" where the point of incorrect sexuality incompatibility is on Tohru. Unless Kobayashi meant being a human girl compared to Tohru's dragon girl. But then she's being racist... err "speciesist".

Quote:

I actually feel stupid for having watched that. Thanks for sharing. "Everyone was saying something to me" means "conservative guys were giving me crap"

"You should try changing your body next." I'm not touching that one...
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

They changed the words to fit the mouth flaps... "but I'm a girl" doesn't fit so it's "But I'm not into girls." Kobayashi is asexual in that the idea of being either attracted to men or women hasn't occurred to her so you turning her gay right away is its own affront to the character.

See it as "But I'm not into girls"... yet. It's better than the... sigh... straight translation of "But I'm a girl" where the point of incorrect sexuality incompatibility is on Tohru. Unless Kobayashi meant being a human girl compared to Tohru's dragon girl. But then she's being racist... err "speciesist".

Quote:

I actually feel stupid for having watched that. Thanks for sharing. "Everyone was saying something to me" means "conservative guys were giving me crap"

"You should try changing your body next." I'm not touching that one...

I think the issue with the first change is that it changes what was a deflection into a direct denial, such that Tuaru's continued behavior becomes fairly unsavory.

As for the second change, people noticed because it was very unnatural for the characters and came off as trying to shove buzzwords into the script for the sake of it. It also changed a dynamic in which one character was realizing that she was making people uncomfortable and trying to not leave those around her with the impression of having had a bad run-in with Louis CK, a sign of growth for the character, to her spouting rationalizations for the way she treats Shota.

For the thing I was surprised wasn't mentioned, I'm surprised the weirdly horny 5yo wasn't listed in the list of weak supporting cast.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Did some clean up. Let's get back on topic and off this tangent about the one line being in or not being in please.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
^
OK, that's fair. But whether or not I actually buy this release is dependent entirely on whether or not they fixed the dub. So could someone at least answer the question of if the lines were changed for the physical release?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
^
OK, that's fair. But whether or not I actually buy this release is dependent entirely on whether or not they fixed the dub. So could someone at least answer the question of if the lines were changed for the physical release?

Answering that and clarifying what will or won't be in the dub is fine. The pointless and OT arguing over one line is done with.
Mavado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:37 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
^
Since it seems they didn't dub the OVA (what is it with Funimation and un-dubbed OVAs anyway?), I doubt they took the time to go back and remove the feminist talking points they inserted into the script.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
Since it seems they didn't dub the OVA (what is it with Funimation and un-dubbed OVAs anyway?)

Funimation isn't the only company involved. The Japanese side was slow giving the materials in time and Crunchyroll didn't want to delay the Blu-ray release.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Mavado wrote:
Since it seems they didn't dub the OVA (what is it with Funimation and un-dubbed OVAs anyway?)

Funimation isn't the only company involved. The Japanese side was slow giving the materials in time and Crunchyroll didn't want to delay the Blu-ray release.

I'm sure that's case, seeing as how Funi DID dub the Interviews with Monster Girls OVA IIRC
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3