• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Are Subtitles Written For?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
So who was "Emnetwihts" written for?

The article only really talks about translating potential unknowns into knowns versus leaving them (possibly with a tl note). What about translating something that would have been a known to the original audience into something unknown for the Western audience? I completely get both sides of the divide between wanting/needing subs written for a broader audience and wanting subs to be as literal as possible, and honestly, I don't even think I can take a side there. I just absolutely do not understand why you would ever intentionally take a word that was suppose to be immediately understood and subtitle it with some obscure and made up word.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
What I simply cannot stand is when translators try to dumb it down for the audience, but change the meaning of the original in the process. As an example, Gugure! Kokkuri-san had Crunchyroll translate chuunibyou as 'delusional'. On your next opportunity, please translate 'sushi' as 'raw fish on rice', Crunchy <sarcasm>.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I remember seeing Summer Wars in the theater and the guy behind us and brought this girl with him for what I think was a first date. I don't think she was into anime though, she was super freaked out by the bathtub scene (which of course by anime standards is really mild) and he had to spend like 15 minutes explaining to her Japanese bathing practices.

Something similar happened to my sister when she watched Princess Mononoke dubbed when her roommate stopped by. The roommate's boyfriend was super religious and was immensely turned off by the inclusion of "demons" in the narrative, and my sister had a hard time convincing him, "No, not that kind of demon".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that point is this: who are subtitles for, exactly?

A nice way of, as Wiki says, "Disambiguizing" the main question (about honorifics, untranslatables, easy words, etc.)
But have to admit, I read the header and thought "Ohhh-hhhh....Okay, who's the kid who didn't grow up in MY world of the early 90's? Who gets to be told what an Animag used to be? Evil or Very Mad "

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah I'm not a language teacher or the like but even I know one can't learn another language simply by watching a TV show with characters speaking in that language and with all their spoken dialog being translated. Watching anime is good for learning words in Japanese not for learning how to actually speak Japanese.

Our generation had to watch half our shows raw, and it was easy to pick up the most common words--baka, yatta, oishii, etc.--but still not actually be able to conjugate verbs or sentence structure.
A dialogue-heavy shoujo romance, or reliance on bad cultural puns?...Forget it.

Some words are just unique to local culture--How many different attempts to "localize" itadakimasu or itterasshai have we heard to try and put it into Western context ("Let's eat!" "Be back soon!"), when they're not even Western rituals to begin with? But if a French character slips a "Bonjour" into his English dialogue in an English or French movie, we don't require translation.
Something that's particularly annoying on movie/TV DVD subtitles is when some lazy subtitlers insist on not translating anything foreign: A character saying "That certain je ne sais quoi" might be subtitled as "That certain (speaks French)"...C'mon, we know what it IS, sheesh!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes it happens in dubs, Ouran Highschool Host Clubs dub has terms like Sempai and Chan.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sometimes it happens in dubs, Ouran Highschool Host Clubs dub has terms like Sempai and Chan.

There are a number of dubs which retain the honorifics: Ai Yori Aoshi, FLCL, Lucky Star, Kids on the Slope, etc. I've heard Planetes uses "senpai" but not honorifics, which seems odd to me.

FLCL is particularly unique in that it retained all the honorifics yet translated the cultural references. (Cherio to Crystal Pepsi, Delabe to Hustler, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Justin, for making the absolutely fundamental point: There is no one correct translation, and all translation depends on the target audience.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
What about translating something that would have been a known to the original audience into something unknown for the Western audience? I just absolutely do not understand why you would ever intentionally take a word that was suppose to be immediately understood and subtitle it with some obscure and made up word.

Is this in reference to the previous comment from Tylerr who insisted that attack names should never be translated? After all, attack names are often something that can be immediately understood in Japanese (even if not necessarily normal phrases), and leaving them in Japanese results in something obscure and made up, but cool sounding. I agree with your point in perhaps most cases, but I still will prefer Amakakeru Ryū no Hirameki to "Flash of the Heaven Soaring Dragon," etc.

What can be even trickier are terms in Japanese that are supposed to be only moderately difficult to know or obscure in Japanese, but known by some of the audience. You have to have a good handle on the target audience to find a matching translation. Something that's obscure in Japanese as well can be easier. In KADO this season, 異方 is as difficult in Japanese as its literal translation anisotropic is in English, so there's no problem.

Sherris wrote:
What I simply cannot stand is when translators try to dumb it down for the audience, but change the meaning of the original in the process. As an example, Gugure! Kokkuri-san had Crunchyroll translate chuunibyou as 'delusional'.

Eh, any translation of a culturally linked concept like 中二病 is going to change the meaning of the original. Delusional is indeed part of what is implied by it. There's no way to translate it briefly without changing it unless your audience has enough context and previous knowledge as to understand the word untranslated. It's like complaining that "senioritis" got translated into other languages as simply "unmotivated."
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
If a person is willing to watch an anime with subtitles then they should be expected to know enough about Japan to be able to cope with literal translations and honorifics and the like.

If they are watching anime dubbed then to play it safe the translation should be as naturally sounding as possible.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Loved the comment about taking "a semester of elective Japanese". Reminds me all of those people who go on to complain about subs while saying "I know some Japanese" as if that along could actually let them understand what's going on just because they recognize one of several diferent things. Or when they complain while adding "I'm fluent in Japanese" yet require subtitles to watch anything at all.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I was about to comment that we just had this same discussion in a column from a few weeks ago, but this is a unique take on the topic. I'm not sure I 100% agree with Justin's take on modern viewers being more willing to look up untranslated elements, or that it's a particularly good viewing experience in and of itself, but it's certainly something to think about.

Tylerr wrote:
There are some things that should never be translated

attack names are one.

I can't really agree with that. If the attack is just a basic descriptive phrase that a Japanese viewer would comprehend without even having to think about it, I think that pretty much begs to receive a direct translation. If the attack is a proper noun or some sort of outside reference, then there's more room to leave things as-is, with maybe some sort of supplemental end-notes explaining things. Leaving everything in Japanese regardless of meaning can turn certain lines into a complete alphabet soup: for instance, as much as I enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin's dub, I never even attempted to remember most of its multi-syllabic attacks. (From the outtakes, the dub cast had more than their fair share of troubles too.) Personally I enjoy what FUNi has done with One Piece: all of the "gomu gomus" and other simplistic Devil Fruit attacks get translated into their English equivalents, while the odd element like "onigiri" is left as-is (because let's face it, "rice ball" is about the least intimidating attack ever). And then there are things like most of Sanji and Robin's attacks, which use various French and Spanish terms: since those are meant to sound foreign to the original Japanese audience, leaving them as-is creates the same effect for English-speaking viewers. (Hell, given the much greater linguistic familiarity, an English-speaking viewer would probably have more comprehension of them by default.)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah I'm not a language teacher or the like but even I know one can't learn another language simply by watching a TV show with characters speaking in that language and with all their spoken dialog being translated. Watching anime is good for learning words in Japanese not for learning how to actually speak Japanese.

That's how i learned Spanish tho... Confused
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Is this in reference to the previous comment from Tylerr who insisted that attack names should never be translated? After all, attack names are often something that can be immediately understood in Japanese (even if not necessarily normal phrases), and leaving them in Japanese results in something obscure and made up, but cool sounding. I agree with your point in perhaps most cases, but I still will prefer Amakakeru Ryū no Hirameki to "Flash of the Heaven Soaring Dragon," etc.

No. It is in reference to an official simulcast sub. Attack names are whatever, but it doesn't fit my description. If you don't translate the attack names, they will still be in Japanese so the Japanese audience will get it, but an English speaking one likely won't. On the other hand, if you actually translated the attack name like your Kenshin example, the English speaking audience is going to recognize that.

Do you know what an Emnetwiht is? Is it a weapon? It is a vehicle? Is it a place? That is actually the English 'translation'. It isn't even an actual word, and hardly anyone is going to get the roots that were used to make up that word. Any Japanese person is going to immediately know what 人間族 is though. What is the justification for taking a Japanese word that the Japanese audience is going to understand, and changing it to something the English audience isn't going to have a clue with for the English subs.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
There are a number of dubs which retain the honorifics: Ai Yori Aoshi, FLCL, Lucky Star, Kids on the Slope, etc. I've heard Planetes uses "senpai" but not honorifics, which seems odd to me.

Interestingly, in the case of Ai Yori Aoshi, Miyabi addresses Kaoru and Aoi by using "Sir" and "Lady" in place of san/chan, if I correctly recall...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so "Justus" in the question was supposed to be "jutsu"? Laughing I spent the first third of the article wondering who the hell Justus was in Naruto, and why the questioner wanted a name translated.

Paiprince wrote:
The fandom doesn't need more casuals that would just come by forums and wonder why the rest of anime is weird and depraved and so unlike that one show they watched on Adult Swim.

Wow, that's pretty elitist. Where do you think the hard core fans come from? Most of them started out as "casuals" until something clicked and made them want to dig deeper. When newcomers are unwelcome because they're not "true" fans yet, that's a death sentence for your fandom, because most people are not going to do their homework alone in silence until they feel they're up to speed enough to satisfy fans with your attitude.

When you chase off the casuals with your contempt, you've cut off the easiest, most effective way to teach them that anime isn't weird and depraved (not all of it anyway).

Hinoe via Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
I guess this is ultimately the main problem with pro subs: the people in charge of that job do it like drones. Some do it that way because they can't be arsed to do it any other way; others do so because they have no other choice.

I don't believe that's generally true, except for maybe circumstances sometimes not giving them a choice. I think most professional translators take pride in their work just as professionals in any other field. Why wouldn't they? Unlike fansubbers, their livelihood depends on their reputation in the industry.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Do you know what an Emnetwiht is? Is it a weapon? It is a vehicle? Is it a place? That is actually the English 'translation'. It isn't even an actual word, and hardly anyone is going to get the roots that were used to make up that word. Any Japanese person is going to immediately know what 人間族 is though. What is the justification for taking a Japanese word that the Japanese audience is going to understand, and changing it to something the English audience isn't going to have a clue with for the English subs.

Then how should it be transliterated into Romaji, then? I was under the impression that the weird word was being used because that's what it sounds like in the Japanese dialog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6